• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone opting for the Lightning Platinum? Care to tell me why?

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
I want to order the Platinum, but it really doesn't seem worth the jump of $11,000 from a well equipped Lariat +. Am I missing something? When I'm on the fence, I usually opt for more options, and usually that works out on resale anyway. But I'm not so sure here. I'm leaning heavily toward a Lariat +, but when you are already going to pay $80,000 (which is pretty insane), the additional $11,000 is in play.

I think the interior is pretty cool and premium leather is always a plus.
I'm a sucker for a better speaker system, so that is nice. (18 speakers instead of 8)
The massager feature is OK, but not a huge deal for me.
The technology appears to be otherwise the same
Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
The range and probable payload hit make the Platinum a non-starter for me. Plus, I actually prefer the matte black front grille and stock rims on the Lariat.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
I'm a sucker for a better speaker system, so that is nice. (18 speakers instead of 8)
I've seen most reviews trend negative toward the B&O Unleashed. I'd watch some reviews and maybe hunt down an ICE with it to try out. From what I understand, the 18 speakers doesn't do much.

fitek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit 350EXT
I've seen most reviews trend negative toward the B&O Unleashed. I'd watch some reviews and maybe hunt down an ICE with it to try out. From what I understand, the 18 speakers doesn't do much.
Pretty sure you could get an awesome aftermarket system for a lot less. I spent $600 in my Transit for a noticeable upgrade (incl. subwoofer).

OP
OP

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
The range and probable payload hit make the Platinum a non-starter for me. Plus, I actually prefer the matte black front grille and stock rims on the Lariat.
I must have missed that the Platinum max tow is only 8400 pounds. I'm sure there has been a lot of discussion, but do you know why that is? What is mechanically different that reduces it so much?

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I must have missed that the Platinum max tow is only 8400 pounds. I'm sure there has been a lot of discussion, but do you know why that is? What is mechanically different that reduces it so much?
Best guess we all have is it comes down to the larger wheels and perhaps to a smaller degree the higher weight of the options.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber
Platinum max tow is only 8400 pounds
I haven't read that anywhere. Where did you find the 8400 number?

All the extra equipment on the Platinum lowers payload. The larger rims negatively impact the range.

OP
OP

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
I haven't read that anywhere. Where did you find the 8400 number?

All the extra equipment on the Platinum lowers payload. The larger rims negatively impact the range.
The order playbook. See attached. Unless I'm reading it wrong. Totally possible. If it's correct, 1600 pounds difference is a lot.

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone opting for the Lightning Platinum?  Care to tell me why? Towing.JPG

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV

I think the interior is pretty cool and premium leather is always a plus.
The massager feature is OK, but not a huge deal for me.
The technology appears to be otherwise the same
In short... since I am going to keep this thing for 3-4 years, I rather get something higher than I have now. I know I can get a HEV for less price too, but with the gas prices going north and us being able to pick up our own energy suppler, I should be able to save some $$. At the moment, I have a 21 F150 PB Lariat HEV (which I am trading in for the Lightning) and even though the 18 speaker isn't the greatest, its better than the 8 speaker than I have now.

Regarding the massaging seats, my mom and mom-in-law usually uses that feature a lot since their places are an hour a away from ours and they have back issues. I usually drive them to and from their house to ours and they were spoiled when I had that in the Explorer (which was sold).

The rims... yea... I dislike them too.

For me... that would be the only reasons.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber
The order playbook. See attached. Unless I'm reading it wrong. Totally possible. If it's correct, 1600 pounds difference is a lot.

Towing.JPG
Another reason not to get the Platinum. I'm assuming the Lariat ER will also take a hit but hopefully not as much.

Last edited:

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
the platinum badge on the truck just screams "I paid too much!". plus the rims suck. why would anyone want 22's? I don't get it.
I think your first sentence answered your question. Some folks don't want to be seen in a vehicle unless if it advertises how expensive it is.

OP
OP

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
I think your first sentence answered your question. Some folks don't want to be seen in a vehicle unless if it advertises how expensive it is.
I agree with you, but from what I can tell, the Platinum Lightning's exterior is the least "platinum" exterior I've ever seen. The chrome and badging seems more subtle than on the platinum expedition or F150 from a year or two ago. On the build and price tool you can't even see the word "platinum" in the rendering. The platinum expedition, for example, is a very shiny bastard.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I agree with you, but from what I can tell, the Platinum Lightning's exterior is the least "platinum" exterior I've ever seen. The chrome and badging seems more subtle than on the platinum expedition or F150 from a year or two ago. On the build and price tool you can't even see the word "platinum" in the rendering. The platinum expedition, for example, is a very shiny bastard.
Weight savings... which is why there isn't any towing mirrors and other misc options.

thevofl

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Antimatter Blue F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Math
For me I would go for either the Lariat+ or the Platinum. I think with my reservation number (around 120,000), by the time I get to place my order, the Platinum would be the only option unless I really want to wait. Also, the max recline seats is a huge plus. There are times that I pull over and take a nap. It will be refreshing to do so without messing up my back or shoulders (I'm a big guy).
Sponsored