Sponsored

Anyone know what small battery under rear seat is for?

xXChartmanXx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Explorer, 2021 VW ID.4, 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
CyberSecurity Engineer
Pretty sure that's for your pro-power onboard. When you don't have a Powerboost engine they have to place it there under the seat.

Joeur14

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 2.7 xlt sport screw
Occupation
Construction / Brazilian jiu jitsu
If it’s under the passenger seat it should be for the power inverter. Although mine has a cover over it saying power inverter.

Sponsored

OP
OP

NO LIMITS

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited
Occupation
Self Employed
Then its your inverter.
The inverter is a large metal clad component under the truck. This is a AGM battery. I, too, have several guesses as to what it does; however, I'm really hoping someone who KNOWS can answer.
Thanks much!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Every single truck has that 400W inverter under the 40% seat, even the hybrids. My theory after seeing the different modes of the 7.2kW propower in the FordPass app (some guy's video), the outlets have seemingly dual modes based on load sensing: <400W the basic inverter under the 40% seat kicks on, as it is likely way more efficient under light loads; Then greater than that the full generatore/48V battery is used to give the two 3.6kW phases.

This is the only video I've seen where anyone talks about the app in detail with the hybrid propower. Go to 7 minute mark.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
I'm late in seeing this post - but wondering did anyone find out what it really is on the Powerboost?

Another batttery to worry about?

Jake75904

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Automotive technician
I have not looked under the cover but if that battery is 12 volts I bet it is used for the electric shifter if the vehicle battery goes dead. Mercedes uses a setup like that, the battery is disconnected from vehicle electric system unless it is being charged by alternator. This way if the rest of the system goes down it has back up for electric shifting on transmission, to put in neutral.

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
If you have a non-PowerBoost with the 2KW ProPower onboard, that should be your inverter for that feature.

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Anyone have a better pic of this under the rear seats? I am wondering how much room this actually takes up and what side this is on.

clfaye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid
According to the F150 modifier guide: "The auxiliary battery provides support for transient electrical
loads that occur during a crank event when the main engine compartment battery is isolated
from the rest of the vehicle and unable to provide transient support."

clfaye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid
Hi Zyvin - This is very helpful detail. Do you have a link to this material? I'd love to read more about it.
Sponsored