Sponsored

Anyone install a two-way radio yet?

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I'm going to install a Yaesu dual band radio (not sure if I'll go FTM-300DR or FTM-400DR just yet) and would really like to see how folks are mounting the display, and doing their wiring. I'll probably go with a 3rd brake light antenna mount and a stubby dual band antenna, but might talk myself into a stake pocket or hood mount.
Sponsored

CommoSGT

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Lariat SCrew, 2021 F150 Lariat SCrew
Occupation
Engineer
I'm going to install a Yaesu dual band radio (not sure if I'll go FTM-300DR or FTM-400DR just yet) and would really like to see how folks are mounting the display, and doing their wiring. I'll probably go with a 3rd brake light antenna mount and a stubby dual band antenna, but might talk myself into a stake pocket or hood mount.
@Slappy McGee Fellow HAM here, I will be installing my radio (FT-400DR) in my new truck when I get it. I will be getting the Builtright dash mount and then adding a Strike mount for my Samsung Note 20. The ham radio head for the 400Dr has a dash mount suction cup mount that secures to it. It will also put the radio head with the GPS right up there in "clear air".

The body of the radio, I will be mounting behind the driver side rear seat. I can get a power lead from the 12V circuit that feeds the inverter and direct ground there too. All wiring can go down the driver side wire chase.

Antenna wise, I have the Acari 01 series mount. I also have a remote tilt mount that will allow me to lay the antenna down if I am going into low ceiling areas.

dbidgedale

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
@Slappy McGee Fellow HAM here, I will be installing my radio (FT-400DR) in my new truck when I get it. I will be getting the Builtright dash mount and then adding a Strike mount for my Samsung Note 20. The ham radio head for the 400Dr has a dash mount suction cup mount that secures to it. It will also put the radio head with the GPS right up there in "clear air".

The body of the radio, I will be mounting behind the driver side rear seat. I can get a power lead from the 12V circuit that feeds the inverter and direct ground there too. All wiring can go down the driver side wire chase.

Antenna wise, I have the Acari 01 series mount. I also have a remote tilt mount that will allow me to lay the antenna down if I am going into low ceiling areas.
When done, please post pics. I'm thinking of moving my TM-V71 from my Tacoma to my F150 when it finally arrives.

SFD9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, 2021 f-150 on order
Occupation
Self
Installed my VHF radio Sunday. Mounted the brick under the rear drivers side seat. Pulled power from the 10ga wire going to the inverter on the pax side rear. Still waiting on my extension cable for the 03 mic/head unit, when that comes i will run the wires (mic wire, ignition sense & speaker) up the drivers side door sill chase.
Antenna mount is a 3rd brake light mount from BulletproofDiesel. It’s ridiculously overpriced but easy to install & looks clean AF.

Ford F-150 Anyone install a two-way radio yet? CF7D2726-3A15-437E-A23F-53952F3BFB6A

Ford F-150 Anyone install a two-way radio yet? 938BA62A-62D9-4276-8A75-734BBB53BB68

Ford F-150 Anyone install a two-way radio yet? 84984038-DC16-4AE4-9495-86377D6A3008

Ford F-150 Anyone install a two-way radio yet? 392AD943-2C0A-4EDC-A90C-CD1DAAAB6772

waiting on a center dash mount from Builtright, they said they are working on getting that out ASAP. I’ll mount RAM on that for my magnetic mic holder left of the bigscreen and my Warn wireless winch controller on the other side

Last edited:

Sponsored

nyctpt

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
That antenna mount looks sick, but jeez they’re expensive. I have mine behind the cab on the drivers side, I sandwiched a 90 degree mount between the bedrail and tonneau cover rail. It’s too close to the cab, so I am still looking for a better solution. I can hit my local repeaters so it’s getting the job done for now.

Ryan

OP
OP

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
That looks great! My truck is finally built and shipped, so hopefully I'll be working on my install too. I really like that antenna mount but agree on the cost!

mdax

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I'll be installing a proper radio in my F150 when it comes.
I'm a bit concerned about rf issues with all the sensors and such.

Does Ford give advice where radios/antennas should be routed and mounted?

OP
OP

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
So I ordered the Bullet Proof Diesel dual antenna mount (ouch), a Yaesu FT-400 (double-ouch), a Midland GMRS mobile, a dual band compactenna for ham, and a Laird 450-460 MHz “phantom” antenna for GMRS. I was on the fence about just modding the Yaesu to cover GMRS but in a nod to the radio police, and due to the difficulties of finding an antenna that would cover dual band ham and GMRS looks like I’ll roll with the dual radio setup.

Now the only missing piece is getting the actual truck, which is riding the rails like a 1930’s hobo apparently…

I’ll try to get some pics once I start setting all this up.

Tucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner
So I ordered the Bullet Proof Diesel dual antenna mount (ouch), a Yaesu FT-400 (double-ouch), a Midland GMRS mobile, a dual band compactenna for ham, and a Laird 450-460 MHz “phantom” antenna for GMRS. I was on the fence about just modding the Yaesu to cover GMRS but in a nod to the radio police, and due to the difficulties of finding an antenna that would cover dual band ham and GMRS looks like I’ll roll with the dual radio setup.

Now the only missing piece is getting the actual truck, which is riding the rails like a 1930’s hobo apparently…

I’ll try to get some pics once I start setting all this up.

I own the The FTM-400 Great choice in radio! Mine has been modified for GRMS/ETC and works great. I have been currently using a Diamond NR-770HBNMO as my antenna and worked amazing on MURS/GRMS/FRS and some other freq ranges.

HOLY crap! on that price of the Dual antenna mount!

I will be moving the FTM-400 (might get FTM-300) into my F-150 once I get it (build week 8/23 so got awhile). As for antenna I'm not sure if ill move this one over or go a new route.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner
I'm a bit concerned about rf issues with all the sensors and such.

Driving around its interesting to see what trucks/cars I drive by and get large amounts of RFI from them, and ends up opening squelch up on a few frequencies.

OP
OP

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Got my antennas installed (2m/70cm on the left, GMRS on the right). I’d like to go to a compactenna “phantom” for ham since I’m hitting trees occasionally even with the short whip.

I have the midland GMRS radio installed in a temporary setup, still waiting for a fuse block and cable to install the Yaesu but my initial plan is to use a cup holder mount for the head unit.
Ford F-150 Anyone install a two-way radio yet? 3D4634E1-F8F8-4AFC-9CA4-65C56662871D

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
Nice setups.
My beginners budget desert FRS coms, mounted, $39.99 on Amazon. LOL :)
At least I can hear my spotter for now.
Ford F-150 Anyone install a two-way radio yet? 20210801_113620

Last edited: