• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone holding off ordering & waiting for Silverado.

Erik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW, Fiat
With the exception of extended range and faster charging, the things that GM seems to have touted (glass roof, 24"wheels, etc.) do nothing for me. The tighter turning radius is nice, but not worth waiting a year plus longer for.
More range and faster charging is great, but the next 10 to 20 years there will always be an upcoming EV with more range and faster charging.

24” inch wheels and a glass roof are reasons not to buy the Silverado. 24” wheels may look cool, but unless you are going to race on asphalt with tight turns I don’t see any benefit of large wheels. My car currently has a glass roof and it even has a shade that blocks about 75% of the light and I still get blinded if the sun is almost straight above me.

I plan to use the Lightning for camping and for home back up power. Ford seems to be the only car maker serious about Pro Power though. The 2022 Tundra hybrid only has a 400 watt inverter while the Sienna, Rav4, and Highlander have a 1500 watt inverter. Kia and Hyundai are adding V2L with is a good first step, but still not 7.2kW. Ford now has three vehicles that can power your house, the F150 Hybrid, F150 Lightning, and E-Transit.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
I assumed that the 24" wheels and glass roof are optional, but I could be wrong on that. These are features I would rather not have.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
As an early reservation holder (10 minutes into the event), I plan on continuing with the Lighting, but with a three-year lease since it will be the first real all electric full-size truck. After the lease is up, whichever truck has the best toys on both the inside and out will be my next truck. Based on toy comparison right now, it just might be a GM. (digital rearview, heads up display, tailgate, etc)

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I’m seeing it sits in the middle on size between a ranger and an f150. Looks pretty big inside in the videos. Certainly has tow capability like a full size…11,000 lbs max tow and 1790 payload

tkeru408

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum, 2022 F150 Lightning Preorder
I’m seeing it sits in the middle on size between a ranger and an f150. Looks pretty big inside in the videos. Certainly has tow capability like a full size…11,000 lbs max tow and 1790 payload
For me, it's not the tow capacity of the Rivian that concerns me (my boat weighs <7000 lbs), it's just the general size of the truck relative to my boat. I already use mirror extender add-ons to my F150 while towing to help me see around my boat. The Rivian is almost 9 inches narrower than the F150, I'd have to have ridiculous go-go gadget mirror extenders on a Rivian to see around my boat!

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I know I'm probably just an old fuddyduddy, but the Lightening is the first EV that I ever even considered. And honestly, I was kinda shocked that I genuinely was interested.

Then it hit me why that was probably true. I think it's because it looks like an F150 truck. Inside and out. And so much less "gimmicky", in my opinion.

As I had finally cracked open the emotional door for battery powered transport, I found myself enamored with the Powerboost. So I fetched one recently and that thing is just amazing. Probably the perfect on-ramp for someone like me to an eventual Lightening.

So, no. Not interested in the Silverado. I won't bash GM in order to defend my opinion, but it just doesn't push the same button.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Not a GM fan - all our fleet GM vehicles have been problematic compared to our Ford fleet vehicles.

When my new GM Uplander white fleet van was driven the first year after the first rain, water leaked into the van from the entire front windshield into the footwells.

Dealer instead of replacing the windshield's defective seal, used tubes of RTV black silicone around the edges.

Then due to the water leak, the body control module and alarm/security went bad.

It was so bad with over 10 trips to the dealer in a year - the dealer had to get GM to buy it back.
Got the next year model year and it now has stability / traction control issues which they can not fix - it keeps throwing the same code.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
Not a GM fan - all our fleet GM vehicles have been problematic compared to our Ford fleet vehicles.

When my new GM Uplander white fleet van was driven the first year after the first rain, water leaked into the van from the entire front windshield into the footwells.

Dealer instead of replacing the windshield's defective seal, used tubes of RTV black silicone around the edges.

Then due to the water leak, the body control module and alarm/security went bad.

It was so bad with over 10 trips to the dealer in a year - the dealer had to get GM to buy it back.
Got the next year model year and it now has stability / traction control issues which they can not fix - it keeps throwing the same code.
We can stop reading at Uplander. People like the laugh at the Aztek, but really the Uplander is probably the worse vehicle that ever came out of GM.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
We can stop reading at Uplander. People like the laugh at the Aztek, but really the Uplander is probably the worse vehicle that ever came out of GM.
The Vega or perhaps Cimmaron(sp?) would like to have a word with you...

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
The Vega or perhaps Cimmaron(sp?) would like to have a word with you...
You just had to go back into the depths of automotive hades and bring up the Cimmaron.. ?

OP
OP

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
Are you saying GM is not committed to EVs and EV trucks were an afterthough? Just seeking clarification.