Sponsored

Anyone have experience with Magnaflow's XMod muffler

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I have been looking around at exhaust systems for my 5.0 and am leaning toward a muffler replacement. I can't seem to justify spending the big money on a cat-back when I think a different muffler may be able to accomplish the same thing for less money. Anyway, I came across this muffler from Magnaflow. It's a little pricey but it has 3 different sound settings which is achieved by changing the configuration of the exhaust tubing exiting the muffler. It can be very aggressive, aggressive or moderate so you can choose which sound you like best. It may just be a novelty but I am worried I will have a muffler put on and then think it's too loud or not loud enough. With this muffler, if it's not loud enough, I could quickly swap out a part and and make it louder or make it quieter if it's too loud. If anyone has any experience with this I would be interested in your opinion.

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/14009-magnaflow-performance-muffler-5-x-8-oval-3-xmod
Sponsored

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
Not sure why you would consider a $500+ muffler and think catback systems are too expensive?

OP
OP
Blue22

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
Not sure why you would consider a $500+ muffler and think catback systems are too expensive?
I see your point but before I went and spent twice as much or more for a cat-back I thought I would ask if anyone has installed the Magnaflow muffler to see if it was worth the price. In my opinion, any performance gains of a cat-back are most likely not going to be enough to notice, so why not spend half as much and get the same sound with also some adjustability? In reality, once I found which setting I liked best, I would just keep it like that but having the option to adjust it instead of having a muffler or cat-back installed and not liking the sound has me considering it. But I guess for the price of the Magnaflow muffler I could almost have 3 different mufflers installed. 😁

Jaylars

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 5.4 XLT SCREW and 2021 5.0 XLT SCREW
Occupation
Military
I went with a custom Magnaflow 5x8 3" single in and out and terminated with a 4" chromed tip. My 5.0 sounds like a V8 now. I did not want stupid loud or any drone and have accomplished that with this setup. When I hit the throttle, you and the cars around you know it is not stock and when you cruise along in traffic it just rumbles in that sweet Magnaflow language, just enough to hear it rumble on by. I added 3" pipe after the resonator. I tried it without the resonator and found it to drone way too much for my liking. Zero performance gain, as expected. All this for about $350.

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
Pix or it didn't happen. :D

Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I went with a custom Magnaflow 5x8 3" single in and out and terminated with a 4" chromed tip. My 5.0 sounds like a V8 now. I did not want stupid loud or any drone and have accomplished that with this setup. When I hit the throttle, you and the cars around you know it is not stock and when you cruise along in traffic it just rumbles in that sweet Magnaflow language, just enough to hear it rumble on by. I added 3" pipe after the resonator. I tried it without the resonator and found it to drone way too much for my liking. Zero performance gain, as expected. All this for about $350.
Well, since a cat back will not produce more power, $350 is way better than $1200.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
So, that muffler you bought is 3" outside diameter?

Jaylars

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 5.4 XLT SCREW and 2021 5.0 XLT SCREW
Occupation
Military
So, that muffler you bought is 3" outside diameter?
Yes. I went with 3" single in/single out. Stepped up to 3" after the resonator, I think the stock is 2.75", I might be wrong, so don't quote me on that. Terminated with a 4" by 6" long chromed tip. It sounds great, of course that's my opinion, so others might disagree, but it rumbles even at low rpm and rips at higher rpms. Zero highway drone. The low rpm rumble reminds me of what you hear when a AMG G-Wagon rolls by. If you can understand that.

I removed the resonator and hated it. I think the back pressure is needed unless you go full headers and a tune. But for what it is, it works. I own a C7 if I want performance, this is a truck, just sounding like a truck is good enough for me. Zero gains though.
Sponsored