Sponsored

Anyone figure out how to convert 240v outlet to 120v and still use all 7.2kw?

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024E71BQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I started using this from the 240v outlet to the RV. Works great. I was concerned about not having enough watts to run the A/C compressor and microwave, but so far the 3.6kw has been enough to run everything without tripping.
That’s the one I use. The only issue so far is that pro power tripped while running the A/C. For all the times the compressor has kicked on and off I thought it odd. In another thread someone suggested it may have been a random spike as the compressor kicked back on and suggested a soft start device might help. The display said I exceeded the maximum watts or something. Reset it and it has not happened again. Like you, I’ve been able to run both the A/C and one other big user, either microwave or coffee maker at the same time. Using both puts me at around 2400- 2600 watts.
Sponsored

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
Who needs 60Amps on single leg 120VAC??? Seems more likely that you should have an electrician come and get you set up with an interlock or transfer switch.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm ready for whatever RV power requirement comes my way!

Note : I'm a fulltimer. Haven't slept in a house in 5 years.... since I gave our house to one of the kids to raise their family in it. Just as we had.

Anyways, I don't travel in the one I live in because..... Well, I live in it. It's not exactly an RV any longer, if you know what I mean. Lol

I have 3 different travel RV's, depending on the mission. From a teardrop to a small toy hauler. Anyways, as I said, and thanks to you fine folks posting everything I needed to know, I can hook up anything. ?

Ford F-150 Anyone figure out how to convert 240v outlet to 120v and still use all 7.2kw? 20210727_190201

240V PB > RV 50Amp
RV 50A > 2 RV 30Amp

OH, and home sweet home. Just the other side of the pond from 6 grandkids!

Ford F-150 Anyone figure out how to convert 240v outlet to 120v and still use all 7.2kw? Hsweeth (1)

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
So a couple of things: using a 120v dogbone out of the 30A 240V socket will get you 30A 120V that is 3.6KW as you stated. Using the 120V outlets in the bed are only 20A so limited to 2.4KW. So you do get 10 more amps using the dogbone (and additional 1.2KW load).

And NOTE, that is ALL your trailer can take as it is wired. You can not drive in and try to use 60Amps in your trailer.

So, even if you were to get someone to design some sort of transformer to try and get the whole 7.2KW onto 120V, your trailer is not designed (nor wired) to use it.

The easiest/cheapest way to use the other side (i.e. the other 3.6KW available) is to run a 120V 30A capable extension cord from the unused side of the dogbone and plug in other appliances that you can access the cord (i.e. your coffee maker, instant-pot, electrical skittle, etc.). For most TT with a built in microwave you can actually get to it's 120v plug and do that also. Of course it will be a little clunky looking with big extension cord coming in. But with a little work you could probably device a path thru one of the TT front external storage compartments. Or if that is to messy just bring your coffee maker, et al out to your tailgate (or a table setup under your awning).

Next most complicated, expensive (and probably will have some TT warranty issues) is as other posters stated and get a TT electrician to split your AC circuits and bring another plug interface to the outside wall of your TT.

Do note, that some of the newer, larger size TT with 2 A/C units are installing 50A 120V (x2) 4 pin plugs. These will plug into campsites 50A 120V (if available). Basically these trailers are designed with a 2 circuit 120V wiring. You can get a dogbone that will plug into Propower 30A 240 and go straight over to the 4 pin 120V TT plug correctly and you then will be using both sides.
You are exactly correct. My TT accepts 30A/120V shore power. I use an adapter to go from 30A/240V pro-power(A circuit) to 30A/120V for that. I then utilize 20A/120V pro-power(B circuit) to a receptacle I added on the TT for other power hungry items like de-humidifiers and electric heaters without straining or tripping breakers on my 30A service panel in the TT. 50A supply via powerboost, and when using hookups the sites generally have a 15/20A convenience outlet I can use as well if needed.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
You are exactly correct. My TT accepts 30A/120V shore power. I use an adapter to go from 30A/240V pro-power(A circuit) to 30A/120V for that. I then utilize 20A/120V pro-power(B circuit) to a receptacle I added on the TT for other power hungry items like de-humidifiers and electric heaters without straining or tripping breakers on my 30A service panel in the TT. 50A supply via powerboost, and when using hookups the sites generally have a 15/20A convenience outlet I can use as well if needed.
Hmmm. So long as it isn't tied into the main system, that is a handy way to bring extra power, to dedicated interior outlet.

Putting in a 30 amp outlet at my current house, would be a major deal but I do have one outside circuit, built for 20 amp. Bought a 20 amp rated cord, so I can safely make full use of it.

I also plan a fairly major solar / battery / inverter charger system for the travel trailer.

Won't know how many panels until delivery but minimums will be 800 watts, with 540 AHs and a Multi Plus.

That should take care of everything but long term AC, or space heater use and the PB can easily fill in for that.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Hmmm. So long as it isn't tied into the main system, that is a handy way to bring extra power, to dedicated interior outlet.

Putting in a 30 amp outlet at my current house, would be a major deal but I do have one outside circuit, built for 20 amp. Bought a 20 amp rated cord, so I can safely make full use of it.

I also plan a fairly major solar / battery / inverter charger system for the travel trailer.

Won't know how many panels until delivery but minimums will be 800 watts, with 540 AHs and a Multi Plus.

That should take care of everything but long term AC, or space heater use and the PB can easily fill in for that.
I have an outside service panel so I'm going to install 30A and 20A breakers then run conduit over to an outlet box on the side of my house for TT 30A AC supply and standard outlets.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
I have an outside service panel so I'm going to install 30A and 20A breakers then run conduit over to an outlet box on the side of my house for TT 30A AC supply and standard outlets.
May as well do the transfer switch to let your PB supply the house too.

My current house just doesn't lend itself to these changes.

Main service panel is at the far end, in the finished basement.

Not impossible but more than I'm willing to do right now. Especially since we don't plan on staying here.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
May as well do the transfer switch to let your PB supply the house too.

My current house just doesn't lend itself to these changes.

Main service panel is at the far end, in the finished basement.

Not impossible but more than I'm willing to do right now. Especially since we don't plan on staying here.
Understood. I have a generator for the house. PB will be for off grid camping with the TT.

Blueonblue

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT Contractor
You're kind of asking for trouble here. Almost no 110 plug is going to be rates at 65 amps. Which is what you would be at with 7.2kw running through it. You would be better off branching off your 220v two separate 115v circuits. Less of a fire hazard as well. Your trailer doesn't have a 220v shore power connector?
220v is just two 110 legs out of phase 90 degrees. If you take one hot lead branch off the ground and neutral. Then the other lead ground and neutral you can make 2 110v plugs with 1 220 connector to go in the truck. Then plug each AC into its own 110v. 3600w each plug. You don't want to be overloading the 15A recepticals in your trailer with a microwave and a floor heater then start a fire from a melted receptacle. That's why houses have multiple breakers.

Trust me you don't want to run 60 amps through a 110v plug. It will likely be a huge fire hazard for you.
Sponsored