Sponsored

Anyone else getting key not detected errors?

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
I had my wife take the second key out of her purse a while back and I still get the extremely often, even when I am the only person in the vehicle.
I had this happen yesterday and as on of the earlier posters stated I chalked it up to having the keys in my pocket, tried to lock/unlock with the fob and nothing, so I pulled the cup holder mat, inserted the key and went about my business, at my destination everything worked correctly, I suspect my issue is that one of the buttons was being pressed for an extended amount of time and the fob timed out, again, just a guess
Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I had my wife take the second key out of her purse a while back and I still get the extremely often, even when I am the only person in the vehicle.
I had this happen once when I as at a drive up instant teller. Truck would not come out of park even tho it was running and would show "NO KEY DETECTED". This error would flash off and on. I shut the truck off and restarted it. Told the dealer and they said I was the 3rd person asking about it and all were at the same instant teller. One case, the salesman went and got the persons truck going, and then his would not start. Was told if this happens, put the key into the programing slot.

I would change the battery in the key flob. Maybe it is low or defective.

dgood13

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150
Occupation
Telecommunications
"NO KEY DETECTED" is now the main issue I am having now. The dealer has had my f150 for over a month trying to fix this and the door number pad(along with other electrical issues). When it doesn't detect the key I can't even put it in the override. I have to use the key to remote start the pickup and wait for it to cool down... once it cools for about 15-20 minutes it detects the key and I can go. I am so fed up with this truck..

OP
OP

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
I don't generally have trouble with the door unlocking but mostly just the ignition, I have had a couple times where I have had to grab the handle a couple times to get it to unlock but not as often as the ignition error. I have noticed also that it seems to happen far more when it is hot out because it happens more in the parking lot at my work than it does in my garage at home but it can happen even when it isn't hot.

dgood13

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150
Occupation
Telecommunications
Yes. It happens when it is hot. I cant use the key slot/hole in console if it is too hot.. i have to use the key outside the pickup to remote start it, let it cool for about 5- 15 minutes and then it detects the key..

Sponsored

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150, '65, '70 and '09 Mustangs
Occupation
Retired and loving it!
Happened to me today. Used the door handle sensor to lock the truck but did not hear the clunk of the lock. Brought out the fob from my pocket and hit the lock button. No joy. Opened the truck and the "No Key Detected" error was on the screen. Fiddled with it a bit and eventually put the fob in the dock under the cup holder and it worked.

More electronic gremlins. Only 1300 miles and things are popping up.

Bcool831

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Occupation
Work for Ford
My 2021 f150 Lariat standed my in Colorado several months ago with this issue. All of the sudden, it started. Happened the other day and I was stranded in a parking structure for 4 hours. All the sudden it started. I drove it straight to the dealership. They can’t figure it out.

Bcool831

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Occupation
Work for Ford
And yes I tried the programmer slot under cup holder.

Bcool831

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Occupation
Work for Ford
Talked to dealership. They won’t give a loaner, none are available. They won’t authorize a rental because they need a reason or repair ticket and since they can’t figure out what is wrong blah blah blah.

OP
OP

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
Talked to dealership. They won’t give a loaner, none are available. They won’t authorize a rental because they need a reason or repair ticket and since they can’t figure out what is wrong blah blah blah.
yes I notice when it happens the key slot in the cup holder doesn't seem to help either

Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Haven’t any issues myself other than a few times when I’ve put them on top of my wireless charger, which seems to interfere with the signal. When it’s sitting on top of the charger the truck won’t detect the key and I was confused why the first time or two but quickly learned it was only if they were sitting on top of the charger, otherwise no issues with my keys at all.

OP
OP

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
Haven’t any issues myself other than a few times when I’ve put them on top of my wireless charger, which seems to interfere with the signal. When it’s sitting on top of the charger the truck won’t detect the key and I was confused why the first time or two but quickly learned it was only if they were sitting on top of the charger, otherwise no issues with my keys at all.
my truck doesn't have wireless charging and the key is always in my right pocket with my phone in the left pocket. Clearly there is an antenna issue in some trucks. Not sure where the antennas are located I would assume one is in the console and since it doesn't help to put it in the cup holder when I have trouble I assume that is the antenna that is causing the issue

Pibblemobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150
This has been an issue in my wife’s Fusion as well as her previous Lincoln MKC. It’s always brief and doesn’t happen more than a few times per year.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have had this happen to me twice and both times I was at my credit union parking lot. Either at the drive up teller or just before pulling up to it. Thinking something around there has a stronger signal that over powers the key fob. The first time it happened, I talked to my dealer and was informed that my salesman had to go a rescue another customer at the same spot. When he tried to start his truck, he had to put the fob in the slot under the cup holder.

Bcool831

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Occupation
Work for Ford
So the dealership had my truck for a couple weeks. They found my problem was a faulty wire or module in the backseat area. It caused interference with the main chip reader under cup holder and said if I had put my keys on the backseat it would have recognized my key. I don’t know the validity of that diagnosis/repair but they said it hadn’t happened to them since the repair. I picked my truck up yesterday so we shall see of that was the root of my problem.
Sponsored