Sponsored

Anyone else feel the console shifter kinda sucks?

OP
OP

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
Very good video. Very bad feels.
Haha, thanks man.. All of the shifters had this kind of sloppy feel on the ones I have test driven.. This is on the truck I purchased, so I've had a little more time to play with it and see what kind of stuff doesn't feel right..

To me, it really seems like you should have to push the button in to shift to park.. That's how I recall it being on my other console shifters in the past.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Haha, thanks man.. All of the shifters had this kind of sloppy feel on the ones I have test driven.. This is on the truck I purchased, so I've had a little more time to play with it and see what kind of stuff doesn't feel right..

To me, it really seems like you should have to push the button in to shift to park.. That's how I recall it being on my other console shifters in the past.
I agree. Shifters shouldn’t move unless you push that shifter button. I’ve seen other cars from other brands shift without pressing the button but those vehicles were over ten years old at least. Things wear out. You’re in state of the art 2021 all new F150. That should not be happening. I really hope you show that video to your dealer. Educate these fools

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
It is definitely nothing more that an electronic knob shifter with a handle on it. I have had it shift on it's own from reverse to park while I was slowly backing up. We buy several F150 trucks every few years. The electronics are going to be the gremlin that can't be found more and more. I have a 2021 PB Lariat that accelerates on its own randomly. Touch the accelerator foot pad and take your foot away and it takes 2-5 seconds for the accelerator to respond while the truck continues to increase in speed. Conversely it also does the reverse. Sitting to cross traffic randomly you can push the pedal and it takes 1-4 seconds to respond at all, leaving you in oncoming traffic.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
That is crazy! I certainly agree, it should be locked out of park if the side button isn't depressed. Unfortunately, not much we can do about it short of just buying XLT with column shifter.

Sponsored

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It is definitely nothing more that an electronic knob shifter with a handle on it. I have had it shift on it's own from reverse to park while I was slowly backing up. We buy several F150 trucks every few years. The electronics are going to be the gremlin that can't be found more and more. I have a 2021 PB Lariat that accelerates on its own randomly. Touch the accelerator foot pad and take your foot away and it takes 2-5 seconds for the accelerator to respond while the truck continues to increase in speed. Conversely it also does the reverse. Sitting to cross traffic randomly you can push the pedal and it takes 1-4 seconds to respond at all, leaving you in oncoming traffic.
...the gremlin that can't be found...
Ford F-150 Anyone else feel the console shifter kinda sucks? Gremlin

StoneGray22

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 SCREW, 500A, 3.5 EB, 4x4, Max Tow, 157"
Do you have the auto hold feature enabled? That might explain the delay you are experiencing.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
That is crazy! I certainly agree, it should be locked out of park if the side button isn't depressed. Unfortunately, not much we can do about it short of just buying XLT with column shifter.
That is exactly what I did. I can't stand the wasted space from a console shifter and prefer column shifter for an automatic, or even a knob like Ram. Now if we could still get a manual shift . . . that belongs in the console!

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I agree. Shifters shouldn’t move unless you push that shifter button. I’ve seen other cars from other brands shift without pressing the button but those vehicles were over ten years old at least. Things wear out. You’re in state of the art 2021 all new F150. That should not be happening. I really hope you show that video to your dealer. Educate these fools
Nothing wear out on our 2005 Honda Accord, the shifter moves as it should, as it was designed.
One thing I was surprised to find out in the 21 F-150 is that you need to press the button to shift to N. Normally you would just push the lever to N and the reason behind it is that if you slide (on ice for example) you need to quickly disengage the transmission and you don't need to "think" or remember to push the button.

Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If I remeber correctly - the old way was Park to Rev, N to Rev and D to Lower gears - Push button. D to N, R to N and lower gears to D or N - Just push shifter. It has been a while...LOL

Edit: In and out of Park - Push Button

Last edited:

blind56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2.7EB, 2016 WRX
I find this behavior goes away if you put it in Sport mode. Still does it a bit in normal mode, but most pronounced in Eco mode. To me it seems like more of a transmission issue.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If I remeber correctly - the old way was Park to Rev, N to Rev and D to Lower gears - Push button. D to N, R to N and lower gears to D or N - Just push shifter. It has been a while...LOL
That's it. Those actions without using the button were transmission safe changes; going from reverse to park has potential to damage the transmission, especially if it happened at a higher speed, say 5-plus mph. Granted, it's not too often we drive in reverse at speed, unless you are James Bond, but that is a 5000 lb mass moving so it's a lot of momentum to just slam into park.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
Push the "Manual" button on the end of your shifter and it WON'T shift itself anymore. It then acts like a normal shifter.

Personally... I like the column shifter.
But I only has 5 weeks to experience it before my truck died and has since spent all of 2022 rotting away in the Dealership's "Service" Department parking lot waiting for parts with NO END IN SIGHT!

Trevisan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
I think there are differences in console shifters for sure.
My girlfriends dad has an early 21 build and I have a later 21 build - both lariats.

Mine feels much more "solid and robust" when shifting into gears., and the other one feels sloppy, like you can very easily skip over a gear.

I definitely don't feel as though they are all the same.

Sure, the folding shifter is kind of gimmicky.....but you don't have to use it if you don't want to use it! Probably easier to just make them all the same.
Sponsored