Sponsored

Anyone Done Their First Oil Change on a PowerBoost?

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Has anyone taken a picture of the drain plug and posted it yet? I also would like to know if the fumoto drain plug will work. I like how they got rid of the yellow plug and plastic pan though!
Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
No photos, but it's just a normal metal plug in a normal metal pan.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Just did my first oil change today at 850 miles. Not bad. Had to remove four 15mm bolts for the skid plate and two 8mm for the soft transmission cover behind that. Oil pan was easy to get to. Filter was difficult with a strap wrench but would be better with large socket style adapter. With a 4x4, the filter drains right over the front transfer case which I thought would be a huge mess but Ford integrated a funnel above it that drains it all at one spot. Very nice! Used Mobil 1 5-30W with FL500S filter. Overall went well.

Last edited:

jmacd

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 HDPP, Stone Gray
So, in our Owners Guides/Manuals Ford does not recommend an early oil change. Ford recommends just to follow the programmed, algorithm’d Oil Life Monitor to determine that first OC. I get it that we want to get that first oil change done early, the “peace-of-mind” OC. Fleet and rental vehicles don’t get this extra care and provide long life within just regular care, fleet and police vehicles get way beyond 100K mikes of service without this early OC with NO adverse affects. Do we need to do an early OC for peace-of-mind? just sayin’. In decades past I think this procedure had value. With todays manufacturing and oil and filter technology? Maybe unesscessary?

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
To those who already has their 1st "oil change". Question - Did anything underneath the body had to be reomove like skid plate etc.. in order to change the oil?

Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
To those who already has their 1st "oil change". Question - Did anything underneath the body had to be reomove like skid plate etc.. in order to change the oil?
Had to remove four 15mm bolts for the skid plate and two 8mm for the soft transmission cover behind that.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Dang - Ford Engineers can do better than that.

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
Ford didn’t build the trucks to be “self-serviced”, however, removing a few bolts to change oil is absolutely no problem for most of us.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I think it would require a remote oil filter. Not a big deal at all to remove. The really nice thing they did was integrate a funnel underneath the oil filter that directs all the oil away from the front driveshaft. No more oil dripping all over the place like in my 93 Chevy K2500!

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I just did mine today, 700 mi break-in change. I used Castrol Edge full synthetic, which meets the proper Ford oil spec requirements, to replace the partial synthetic the truck came with. The oil filter is in a stupid spot in a stupid orientation, but otherwise the oil change wasn't too bad.
1 . Remove soft black panel by loosening (4) screws
2. Drain oil. Since the oil is low viscosity and comes out horizontally, I like to hold a funnel in between the engine and drain pan, rather then guessing where it will land
3. Remove and replace filter.
4. Clean up, replace soft panel, fill 6 quarts
I was looking at the oil filter yesterday like, "that's going to make a mess!" Did it? Where does the oil go while pulling it off? (can it fall freely do the drain pan?)

Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I was looking at the oil filter yesterday like, "that's going to make a mess!" Did it? Where does the oil go while pulling it off? (can it fall freely do the drain pan?)
Actually not too much of a mess. They put an opening that the oil falls through. You just need to wipe carefully when you are done or you will get some residual drips on your driveway/garage.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
. No more oil dripping all over the place like in my 93 Chevy K2500!
This alone keeps me from doing mine on a timely schedule.
Have oil. Have filter. Don’t want to deal with the inevitable mess.
I run a full synthetic and it is a bit too pricey to take it out to have it done.
At least the Falcon doesn’t make it it messy for me.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
This alone keeps me from doing mine on a timely schedule.
Then don't ever try to change the oil in an air cooled Porsche. Could not believe the massive mess this created. Who ever designed that system must have been a sadist!

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
Then don't ever try to change the oil in an air cooled Porsche. Could not believe the massive mess this created. Who ever designed that system must have been a sadist!
Yep, I've got one and do my own service.....not much fun and they've been that way for years!

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist
So, in our Owners Guides/Manuals Ford does not recommend an early oil change. Ford recommends just to follow the programmed, algorithm’d Oil Life Monitor to determine that first OC. I get it that we want to get that first oil change done early, the “peace-of-mind” OC. Fleet and rental vehicles don’t get this extra care and provide long life within just regular care, fleet and police vehicles get way beyond 100K mikes of service without this early OC with NO adverse affects. Do we need to do an early OC for peace-of-mind? just sayin’. In decades past I think this procedure had value. With todays manufacturing and oil and filter technology? Maybe unesscessary?
There seems to be some evidence that the ecoboost engine benefits from frequent oil changes but I can’t prove it. I just finished 105,000 miles on my 2013 lariat with zero engine issues. I did something like 24 oil changes over that time with Mobil 1 full synthetic or extended performance 5W-30 and the motor craft FL500S filter. You can read and a master tech at my dealer says this is the critical step to avoid the chain slap / tensioner issue in ecoboost engines. It worked for me what can I say? Got my powerboost yesterday and I plan to do my first change to Mobil 1 at 3000 then 4000-5000 miles thereafter. The biggest pain with the EB/PB oil change is getting to the filter laying on your garage floor and also not spilling any oil. Usually some gets on the skid plates and every once in awhile you take them off and clean them with some solvent.
Sponsored