Sponsored

Anybody know which soft starter you guys use for your 7.2 kw?

fgutz3rd

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired Army
I have been wanting to run my air compressor and other power tools. Also my RV. When I try running my Air compressor, it pops the breaker. I was told I need a soft starter. I was wondering if you guys use one, which one do you guys use?
Sponsored

Supercub

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost 2022 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
You should have no problem without a soft starter. The 7.2 is more than capable of running that and a lot more. I run my whole house on it, furnace, 3 refer/fridges and big screen along with lights etc.
I did disconnect the ground wire in the cord as they don’t work with the bonded ground systems of today. You may want to check that As its a known issue and will cause what you are seeing.

Im sure there are several that will take exception to this, its your call.

OP
OP
fgutz3rd

fgutz3rd

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired Army
How would I go about disconnecting the ground wire from it??? Doesn’t really matter to me if it saves me money?

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 Powerboost XLT 302A 360 Camera 7.2KW
Occupation
Retired
You should have no problem without a soft starter. The 7.2 is more than capable of running that and a lot more. I run my whole house on it, furnace, 3 refer/fridges and big screen along with lights etc.
I did disconnect the ground wire in the cord as they don’t work with the bonded ground systems of today. You may want to check that As its a known issue and will cause what you are seeing.

Im sure there are several that will take exception to this, its your call.
The 7.2KW also run my house but it won't run an air compressor. You need a soft starter. This is the only thing that I don't like about it.

OP
OP
fgutz3rd

fgutz3rd

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired Army
Do you use a soft starter? Which one do you use?

Sponsored

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
I have run a circular saw, battery charger, portable table saw, and a 26 gallon air compressor without any issue or a soft starter. It does probably depend on the specific tool or appliance.

OP
OP
fgutz3rd

fgutz3rd

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired Army
I have run a circular saw, battery charger, portable table saw, and a 26 gallon air compressor without any issue or a soft starter. It does probably depend on the specific tool or appliance.
Every time I plug in my 20 gal air compressor, it pops the breaker instantly. Even when I connect it to the 240 amp plug

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Every time I plug in my 20 gal air compressor, it pops the breaker instantly. Even when I connect it to the 240 amp plug
That's because the Powerboost is only capable of supplying a maximum of 30 amps of current to a power tool running at 120 volts. Doesn't matter which socket you are using. And power tools with motors, RV air conditioners with compressors etc., frequently have start up amps that exceed 30. That's why you keep popping the breaker.

If you only planned to run one device, like an RV AC, I'd tell you to just hard-wire a Micro-Air onto the AC itself. But since you want to use multiple high-amp devices, I'd consider something like this: https://www.amazon.com/All-softstar...pcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A37VQZG6U5MF8R. It's expensive but it appears to be pretty versatile.

OP
OP
fgutz3rd

fgutz3rd

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired Army
I have a connector for my RV. I really just need a soft starter for running power tools and y compressor

Sponsored

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
OP
OP
fgutz3rd

fgutz3rd

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired Army
But I’ll definitely give it a look. Definitely worth the money in the long run. Beats damaging my truck and costing me more than 500 dollars. Thanks gentlemen

RyanRA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT PB Super Crew
I found this Youtube video on the capabilities and limits of the 7.2Kw ProPower onboard the most informative

Last edited:

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Not saying that it will fix it, but there was a module update meant to address tripping of the system that fixed issues for some early Powerboost owners. If you haven't had it applied, either DIY or talk to the dealer. I believe there's even a TSB for it.
Sponsored