Sponsored

Anybody else just get an email from ford saying the lightning is available for order?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
EVs are dumb.....
(Doesnt have an EV)

In all honesty I could go one way of the other. My "problem" is that family lives about 320 miles away from me and the last leg through Tacoma is almost always stand still traffic. I cant waste time going somewhere and sitting for (I dont even know how long) 30mins+ ? to recharge somewhere?
Then we go out to the lake place and there is no place to ... well I guess I could make a fast charging station, but... I dunno...

What is the cost of charging one of these things via 220v? I know when I run my hot tub (50amp) my power bill is always higher...... dramatically.

Lastly, with all the talk of B&O stereo, what happens on a hot day, cranking my music and I got AC going? Doesnt that kill the battery faster?
EV's, at least the Lightning, isn't a fit for towing or long distance travel.
But my daily 46 mile commute?
Piece of cake!
Sponsored

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
That's well and good but I think you are missing my point. Solar charging and cheap electricity is great. How are you going to contribute to the roads you drive on or the bridges you use?
That's something that needs to be worked out. That other post mentioned a tax bill annually. Or fees at inspection. Where I'm at there is no inspection. Realistically how many people are going to be able to afford a lump sum payment like that?
The system now taxes with each gallon of fuel that is purchased which makes it easier for everyone to pay their share.
I for one wouldn't like getting a bill at the end of the year saying I owe x amount of dollars for the miles I drove. I would much rather pay as I go. Roads and infrastructure are not suddenly going to get cheaper so a system needs to be worked out that makes it better for maintaining everything. That was part of my point that eventually the charging stations are going to be just like gas stations. Expensive. Or at least equivalent to. Maybe even driving the cost of electricity up even more across the board. So your solar is great but how are you going to pay your share for driving on the public roads?

But this is just my opinion.
Some states have a higher yearly vehicle registration to account for missed gas taxes. For example in Ohio, typical year registration for a gas vehicle is like $60-75 (can't remember exact number), but for a EV I believe it's like $200. It's a flat rate unless they've changed it. We don't have inspections. Not sure how that number matches up against the average gas tax of a typical vehicle. Like everything else in owning a vehicle, people need to account for all expenses that come with it whether that be upkeep, maintenance, insurance, whatever.

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some states have a higher yearly vehicle registration to account for missed gas taxes. For example in Ohio, typical year registration for a gas vehicle is like $60-75 (can't remember exact number), but for a EV I believe it's like $200. It's a flat rate unless they've changed it. We don't have inspections. Not sure how that number matches up against the average gas tax of a typical vehicle. Like everything else in owning a vehicle, people need to account for all expenses that come with it whether that be upkeep, maintenance, insurance, whatever.
So I looked it up and the gas tax rate is $0.385. If I drive 10,000 miles at an estimated 22mpg (Powerboost) times this $0.386, I get $175. So it seems close unless I can't math today.

Ford F-150 Anybody else just get an email from ford saying the lightning is available for order? Screenshot_20230510-195407

cclark20

First Name
CD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum SuperCrew PB 4X4 BAP
That is quite the hypocritical statement on Ford’s greed coming from someone who admittedly only ordered a Lightning to resell it.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MSRP = greed
But insulting anyone who wants a Lightning and paying you more than MSRP is capitalism

You gotta love the town square.
We do get to hear from everyone.
We are a delightful species if you can just not take us too seriously.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
So I looked it up and the gas tax rate is $0.385. If I drive 10,000 miles at an estimated 22mpg (Powerboost) times this $0.386, I get $175. So it seems close unless I can't math today.

Screenshot_20230510-195407.png
So $175 for an EV? Govt will go broke in 5 years. Washington Gas Tax is one of the highest in the nation, might even be the highest. $1.14 per gallon goes to the state and federal. 36 gallon tank, means Ill surpass my govt contribution in less than 5 fillups.
This is whats wrong with this push. Its all great on paper until someone crunches the numbers.
If people want to go EV, go for it, I have zero issue with that. But it seems kinda communistic to force people into certain automobile... Another dictator did that decades ago with "The People Car"....

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV's, at least the Lightning, isn't a fit for towing or long distance travel.
But my daily 46 mile commute?
Piece of cake!
I agree, but my rig has always been the "Family Car", thats why I opt for the Platinum levels. I like my wifes Explorer and wish it was an Expedition, but she 'doesnt like big cars'...
:(

OP
OP
parkerdog

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
Ford MSRP = greed
But insulting anyone who wants a Lightning and paying you more than MSRP is capitalism

You gotta love the town square.
We do get to hear from everyone.
We are a delightful species if you can just not take us too seriously.
ya, what he said!(the last line anyway)

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The government isn't exactly forcing you into an EV.
They are just forcing you to pay for a good portion of your neighbors EV.

In some ways that's even more irritating.

Sponsored

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
The government isn't exactly forcing you into an EV.
They are just forcing you to pay for a good portion of your neighbors EV.

In some ways that's even more irritating.
Cali and other states are stopping sales of fuel based autos (in some year) 2030? 2040?
They have already implemented (as another poster stated in NY) the prohibiting of sales and piping for natural gas appliances in new homes... Dont even get me started on forcing a \/@x on people or get fired.....

(Sorry had a bad day... car dealership that was consigning my truck lost my plates and reg I just renewed in April. They cant find them anywhere....)

I will sign off internet tonight... love all ya guys....

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So $175 for an EV? Govt will go broke in 5 years. Washington Gas Tax is one of the highest in the nation, might even be the highest. $1.14 per gallon goes to the state and federal. 36 gallon tank, means Ill surpass my govt contribution in less than 5 fillups.
This is whats wrong with this push. Its all great on paper until someone crunches the numbers.
If people want to go EV, go for it, I have zero issue with that. But it seems kinda communistic to force people into certain automobile... Another dictator did that decades ago with "The People Car"....
That's the estimated tax my truck generates for Ohio Gas tax in a typical year if I assume 10k miles at 22mpg. If I include the federal tax rate of $0.184 according to the Ohio tax website, we would end up with $258 for the same scenario. Some people drive.more, others less. A majority of EVs on the road are cars and SUVs and not trucks, so I'm sure the $200 rate is probably fair in those situations where the gas versions of those vehicles would likely be getting more than my 22 mpg calculation.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cali and other states are stopping sales of fuel based autos (in some year) 2030? 2040?
They have already implemented (as another poster stated in NY) the prohibiting of sales and piping for natural gas appliances in new homes... Dont even get me started on forcing a \/@x on people or get fired.....

(Sorry had a bad day... car dealership that was consigning my truck lost my plates and reg I just renewed in April. They cant find them anywhere....)

I will sign off internet tonight... love all ya guys....
I take the predictions (Carb) with a bit of salt. CARB has proven to be a pretty good forcast for the rest of the country. That I have to admit, although I have never understood why 49 states treat Cali as the pied piper. But I digress.....

Just a few short years ago CARB was saying that they would ban ICE by 2030. They love beating their chest.

Then they had to actually meet up and draw up their official stance, and suddenly it's 2035, instead of 2030. But even more telling is their softening on ICE. In 2035 you can still buy a car/SUV/truck with an internal combustion engine, as long as it has a battery and a plug too.

You do realize that a Gen14 F150 Powerboost now has 12 years to gain a plug and a bit more battery and you can purchase a Twin Turbo Ecoboost with a battery in California.
And that's not all of the "get-real" concessions made VS the grandstanding. A 3/4 ton pickup truck is exempt from even the battery. SuperDuty trucks can be what they are today.

The EV push isn't going away, I don't think. It's inevitably going to gain market share. But it appears they'll have to compete with ICE far longer than the silly threats of CARB, albeit with the subsidized uneven playing field.

All opinion based, of course

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
EVs are dumb.....
(JK, I dont have an EV)

In all honesty I could go one way of the other. My "problem" is that family lives about 320 miles away from me and the last leg through Tacoma is almost always stand still traffic. I cant waste time going somewhere and sitting for (I dont even know how long) 30mins+ ? to recharge somewhere?
Then we go out to the lake place and there is no place to ... well I guess I could make a fast charging station, but... I dunno...

What is the cost of charging one of these things via 220v? I know when I run my hot tub (50amp) my power bill is always higher...... dramatically.

Lastly, with all the talk of B&O stereo, what happens on a hot day, cranking my music and I got AC going? Doesnt that kill the battery faster?
EVs in traffic are quite efficient if you're not running resistance heating like an ICE wide open. Heat pump EVs are more efficient, but with heated seat and wheel, setting the heat in the low 60s on auto + the fact if it's cold you're usually dressed a little warmer is a little bit of an adjustment. ICE vehicles the heat is 'free' as 50% of your gas is being turned into it. Once you're dialed into that fact it's not bad. I haven't done any 35mph efficiency testing but at such a low speed I wouldn't be surprised to see double the range one gets at 75mph -- again climate dependent. AC isn't a big factor.

For general cold weather mitigation, like a block heater, you can leave the car plugged in with a 'departure' time set and it will pre-warm the batt up and it will remain there for hours. It's just a fact that cold batteries have less electron excitement. If you're on the road and you started with a heated battery, it will remain there. Especially if you hit a fast charger -- that really adds some heat to it.

Most utilities have EV charging plans that allow really cheap overnight charging. My rate pre-taxes is 1.6 cents per kWh for ALL energy used from 11p-7a, every night of the year, and ~7 cents kWh for the rest of the time except for peak time in summer. It's a moving bar on price, but not by much depending on fuel costs. It changes about every 2 months. They just raised it, but last time it was a decrease -- again about every 2 months it changes.

Ford F-150 Anybody else just get an email from ford saying the lightning is available for order? 1683779955319

Ford F-150 Anybody else just get an email from ford saying the lightning is available for order? 1683780029867

Thus most of the year it's 7.3 cents most of the day, but 1.58 cents 11p-7a. Summer Jun-Sept from 2-7pm it's 21 cents. That's easily mitigated with even a 30kWh battery and no solar. If you're in a spot to take advantage of self-installed solar, you could easily progress to off-grid entirely.

With the EV and off-grid, you're wholly energy self-sufficient for your home and general vehicle travels. Energy prices may impact your cost of other goods, but it sure isn't keeping your ass planted at home because of gas prices :)

For most people in most circumstances, an EV is a very easy choice when you factor in the really cheap fuel and the fact there's nearly no maintenance costs. Primarily tires, and that's dependent on how spirited your driving is. That's the one problem with EVs, every acceleration turns into a "weeeee" event :D. As for passing, I've been able to get by 4 or 5 cars + a semi in one blast without fuss.
Sponsored

Last edited: