Sponsored

Anybody else just get an email from ford saying the lightning is available for order?

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
That's well and good but I think you are missing my point. Solar charging and cheap electricity is great. How are you going to contribute to the roads you drive on or the bridges you use?
That's something that needs to be worked out. That other post mentioned a tax bill annually. Or fees at inspection. Where I'm at there is no inspection. Realistically how many people are going to be able to afford a lump sum payment like that?
The system now taxes with each gallon of fuel that is purchased which makes it easier for everyone to pay their share.
This is a complete red herring.

You do it through usage fees. There are already mechanisms to track this, it's just literally flipping the switch to track and charge for it.

I'm an EV owner, I fully realize it's coming and will embrace it WHEN, not if, but WHEN it happens. We EV owners deserve to pay their fair share.

This is actually one of the most ridiculous reasons to be anti-EV...
Sponsored

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
That is quite the hypocritical statement on Ford’s greed coming from someone who admittedly only ordered a Lightning to resell it.
That irony wasn't lost on me either...

The "durp durp" is strong with a few people here.

OP
OP
parkerdog

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
This is a complete red herring.

You do it through usage fees. There are already mechanisms to track this, it's just literally flipping the switch to track and charge for it.

I'm an EV owner, I fully realize it's coming and will embrace it WHEN, not if, but WHEN it happens. We EV owners deserve to pay their fair share.

This is actually one of the most ridiculous reasons to be anti-EV...
Who said I was anti EV?

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
EVs aren't going anywhere but up in adoption. Trips are still a problem as infrastructure sucks, but w/ more taxpayer money being handed out and tesla taking some to modify their chargers, trips will get better -- but most battery tech sucks in the charging realm. Gen 2 will be better batteries and strategies. The shared kia / hyundai platform rocks when it uses its charging conditioning where the car gets all variables lined up to get a ~15% to 80% charge around 15 minutes. That's basically 200 miles range or so in 15 minutes which is some of the best.

The current lighting just can't come anywhere close to that. Updates have improved its charge times. It also has 2 AC compressors on it (HVDC powered) that it can use to cool the batteries and motors when equipped w/ the proper towing package. Towing range still sucks and charging for 45m every 2 hours is just bad. So as a tow vehicle, poo.

Now for an errand runner, EV can't be beat. Hop in, hit start, and you're off. Nothing to worry about in regards to heating up the engine, going easy the first few minutes, etc... You just get in, hit on, put in gear, and go warp speed if you want. My MME driving is very spirited. Sure you get a little less range, but the car just doesn't care. Many of us have been tracking batt life and at 20k miles the battery reports being ~6% degraded, but already has 'spare' capacity walled off for future use if needed so that the battery warranty isn't needed. With ford's batteries, if you have 1 of the cell banks (8-12 of them depending on vehicle) go bad, you can drop the batt and replace the batt cell pack.

If I had a 5.0 mustang and drove it like I drive the MME, I'd get about 9-10 MPG or so. Instead, for the cost of 1 gal gas at $3.25/gallon, I get 185 miles range of 'spirited driving' (which is also what the lighting under other than 'spirited' driving gets). Or if I don't treat the gas pedal like it's a light switch, I'd get closer to 280 miles of range for $3.25 worth of electrons (out the door price, not pre-tax). Maintenance wise -- well it needs tires changed and the motor's trans fluid (not a trans, just fixed ratio) changed every 40k or so. No plugs, filters, trans clutches, etc... The brakes don't even get used unless things are REALLY spirited ;)

I'm building a new 'facility' that will be entirely solar powered, including the EV's usage. I will still, however, happily consume my $0.014 cents / kWh power rate from 11p-7a, every single day of the year -- if any additional power is needed (highly doubtful given solar capacity, but multiday storms can hamper generation). I've got 45kWh worth of batteries already that will take a little charge over-night (while also having all usage at that rate during those hours), while they power things until the solar is online. Solar generation capacity will be between 100 and 140 kWh / day. ACs / heaters will be run liberally as well as charging up vehicles when conditions warrant.

I don't have a long commute and charge at the office about once a week, and that includes a 100 mile trip weekly. The office pays for my charging -- I only use a 40a charger which delivers 10%/hr, but a 50a charger would deliver another 25%, or 25% charge in 2 hours. Never need to hit a charging station -- even a clothes dryer's plug could add 85%, or 210 miles range overnight (10hrs - depends on safe current limits of the wiring / socket)
Agree the tipping point is - does the EV fill your use case. I own rental property 10 minutes from my house. A truck frunk would have meant I could have had a full suite of Milwaukee packouts in the truck to cover differnt job types rather then what i do now - often end up buying tools I already have back at the hosue because I went for one job and ended up needing eletric tools or other tools I didnt bring. I have a shore house 100 miles one way - with some charging there I am totally covered except the two or three times I year where we drive the 200 mile round trip in same day but go to marina and not house - that could push a stanard battery. Reality is I would need to supercharge maybe 1 or 2 times a year at most. Hell with a frunk I could likely go down a Ford Ranger EV if they had one and get some really good city parking.

Next big thing is higher voltage charging - the Porsche Taycan and GMC Seirra are both 800V systems. which will do 100 miles of charge in 10 minutes. With 400 miles to start you can take a single 10 minute pee break and drive from 7am to noon-ish. Take a 30 minute lunch or a 20 minute lunch and a 10 minute pee break and now you can drive to dinner. At that point the EV is not really slowig you down unless you are doing a two driver 24 hour drive through night road trip

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
From a cost per mile the lighting just doesn't make sense. From everything I've read the lighting uses appropriately 1.2 Kw per mile. My 5.0 v8 gets 21 mpg on the highway. Gas is currently 3 35 in NJ and my utility bill is 20.5 cents per Kw.
Lighting 1.2 x 20.5 = 24.6 cents per mile.
F150 5 0 3.35 ÷ 21 = 15.9 cents per mile

The math doesn't make sense to go EV!

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
From a cost per mile the lighting just doesn't make sense. From everything I've read the lighting uses appropriately 1.2 Kw per mile. My 5.0 v8 gets 21 mpg on the highway. Gas is currently 3 35 in NJ and my utility bill is 20.5 cents per Kw.
Lighting 1.2 x 20.5 = 24.6 cents per mile.
F150 5 0 3.35 ÷ 21 = 15.9 cents per mile

The math doesn't make sense to go EV!
Lightning gets about 2 - 2.5 miles / kW depending on speed. If you have an EV electric utility plan, it's pretty cheap to charge. My utility offers an EV plan where all electricity used from 11p-7a is 3.5 cents / kWh out the door.

Last edited:

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
Your math is flawed... KW is not the same as KWh. It's just not. They are different measures of consumption.

But by all means do the correct calculations. The Lightning also has a high cost barrier to entry compared to a lot of EV's. Granted it's a different use case (truck) vs most other EV's.

The biggest issue for me is the range, even the unloaded range.

But for those of you who keep trying to use "range while towing" as an excuse to not get one, you are just looking for excuses. Only a fraction of F150 owners tow. Period.

The vast majority of F150 owners use it as their daily driver to the grocery store or work and back. On flat, paved, dry roads. That's witnessed by seeing tons of them in suburbia. Perfect use case for EV.

I absolutely agree if you tow a lot, or drive large distances frequently, the Lightning is absolutely not the vehicle for you. But if you use your F150 as a daily driver, and use it once a month to take your boat to the ramp and back, then maybe it is...
Sponsored