Sponsored

Any way to get rid of keep your eyes on the road alert?

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
If your eyes are off the road for “a few seconds” you aren’t using it safely. This is just a level 2 system. It’s basically little more than an antifatigue device, you still need to be watching the road at all times to intervene if it misses something.

And consider the information you’re putting out…even if there was a way to disable the eye tracking (I am unaware of one) should we helping teach people how to disable the two safeguards (eye tracking and hand sensor) keeping other motorists safe from their poorly-guided several ton death missile so they can fiddle with stuff? Maybe there’s a calibration issue with your eye tracking. Maybe your hand sensor is malfunctioning. Bring this issue up with Ford or your local Ford dealer, don’t try to defeat safety measures. This isn’t something like somebody disabling an air bag to drive to the dealer, you’re putting other drivers at risk. Like I said, I’m out. Stay safe out there.
I would agree with you if the feature actually created a safer driving experience. It does not. It makes it less safe because of all the false positive alerts.
Sponsored

OP
OP

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
exactly. Or the alert saying I am not holding the wheel when I am holding the wheel

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
Are you guys saying that when using lane centering/adaptive cruise if you have the bluecruise hardware it takes the extra step to watching your eyes on top of making sure hands on steering wheel.

OP
OP

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
Are you guys saying that when using lane centering/adaptive cruise if you have the bluecruise hardware it takes the extra step to watching your eyes on top of making sure hands on steering wheel.
correct

Sponsored

64Wing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Fusion Titanium, 2022 F150 SCREW Lariat 502a
Occupation
Aviation
Noob question: I ordered a truck without Bluecruise. Does regular cruise control have a bunch of creature monitoring that's gonna yell at me??

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
Noob question: I ordered a truck without Bluecruise. Does regular cruise control have a bunch of creature monitoring that's gonna yell at me??
Negative. The regular cruise control works just like it does in every other car you’ve driven with cruise control. You set a speed and it goes that speed unless you shut it off or touch the brakes. The lane keeping and adaptive cruise control (if equipped) similarly work like any other vehicle you’ve used with those systems.

BlueCruise is a level 2 self driving system above and beyond cruise control, but level 2 systems are very limited in their ability to operate autonomously, hence why Ford felt the need to make sure the driver is still paying attention and can intervene, checking that with the hand sensor and eye tracking. Since regular cruise control still requires you to steer at all times, and thus it can assume your hands are on the wheel and you’re paying attention, no such safety is required to operate normal cruise control. These sensors are specific to lower level self driving systems that require driver monitoring (which is everything currently on the market), they aren’t required for regular cruise control, so no, nothing will be beeping at you while using regular cruise control, you’ve got to keep those eyes on the road all by yourself. ;)

Last edited:

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor 402A, 2022 4Runner ORP
This is why I skipped BlueCruise.

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor 402A, 2022 4Runner ORP
Nope. You just have to keep your hand on the wheel. It's great.

OP
OP

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
yeah I think I regret bluecruise but I did want the front parking sensors and that was how I got them. It does lane centering so well without blue cruise that the only real difference is that now it complains to me more often which I hate

Sponsored

2Lazy2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 3.5 EB Platinum FX4 701A
I prefer to steer with my left forearm on the door armrest, left hand on the steering wheel at @ 8 o'clock position, and right hand on the steering wheel at the 4 o'clock position. Using lane centering or Blue Cruise is uncomfortable for me owing to the hand sensor requirement. I have to hold the wheel at 9 and 3 and after a minute or so I'm done. I don't mind the eye sensor reminders.

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
I prefer to steer with my left forearm on the door armrest, left hand on the steering wheel at @ 8 o'clock position, and right hand on the steering wheel at the 4 o'clock position. Using lane centering or Blue Cruise is uncomfortable for me owing to the hand sensor requirement. I have to hold the wheel at 9 and 3 and after a minute or so I'm done. I don't mind the eye sensor reminders.
You know that you don't have to hold the wheel at 9 and 3 right? Just give the wheel a little jiggle at your normal resting spots when that reminder pops up. There aren't hand sensors in the wheel at 9 and 3.

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
You know that you don't have to hold the wheel at 9 and 3 right? Just give the wheel a little jiggle at your normal resting spots when that reminder pops up. There aren't hand sensors in the wheel at 9 and 3.
The wheel just needs to feel resistance to its steering motions; it gives the warning when it doesn't sense enough resistance to the computer steering inputs. the resistance can be your hands, knees, an ankle weight, etc on the steering wheel.. if my grip is too loose I also get these messages, and a quick manual movement of the wheel, or resistance to the computers steering movements dismisses them

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2024 Escape Platinum
Occupation
Instructional Designer
I just finished a trip from Northern Indiana to Key West, FL and back using BlueCruise (not Intelligent Cruise with Lane Centering which requires steering feedback every 7 seconds). It worked on all the highways down through Charlotte, NC; Jacksonville, FL to Key West, FL and back.

Yes, there are eye sensors that would alert on the dash if I looked down at the interior to long. I didn't have any issues looking in the mirrors or through the windshield. Drove 2800 miles and used BlueCruise 75% of the time.

64Wing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Fusion Titanium, 2022 F150 SCREW Lariat 502a
Occupation
Aviation
Negative. The regular cruise control works just like it does in every other car you’ve driven with cruise control. You set a speed and it goes that speed unless you shut it off or touch the brakes. The lane keeping and adaptive cruise control (if equipped) similarly work like any other vehicle you’ve used with those systems.

BlueCruise is a level 2 self driving system above and beyond cruise control, but level 2 systems are very limited in their ability to operate autonomously, hence why Ford felt the need to make sure the driver is still paying attention and can intervene, checking that with the hand sensor and eye tracking. Since regular cruise control still requires you to steer at all times, and thus it can assume your hands are on the wheel and you’re paying attention, no such safety is required to operate normal cruise control. These sensors are specific to lower level self driving systems that require driver monitoring (which is everything currently on the market), they aren’t required for regular cruise control, so no, nothing will be beeping at you while using regular cruise control, you’ve got to keep those eyes on the road all by yourself. ;)
Excellent! Thank you for the clarification! I wasn't ready to adapt my driving to a new type of cruise system. Happy to know it'll be business as usual
Sponsored