Sponsored

Any update on a Trailer TPMS system?

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
Happy to report that my parts guy at the dealership was able to source me both the ML3Z-13A576-PB harness and the LC3Z-1A189-A camera/TPMS kit.

My 22 XLT PB was crashed into 16 days after I got it (long story) but the benefit is that the repair center agreed to put in the ML3Z-13A576-PB harness during the repair. I went down to the truck today since the bed is off and was able to verify that all the wiring connects and looks good in terms of the places for sensors etc. The two furthest outside parking sensor wires will remain unattached.

So for anyone else, ML3Z-13A576-PB does appear to be the correct harness.

Even though I have Pro Backup Assist, Max Tow & 360 cameras, for some reason the harness in my build didn't have the wiring to support the camera or TPMS. Interestingly, the camera/TPMS kit was offered to me during the build process. I wonder if it would have shipped the truck with the correct harness if I had selected that options. Who knows!

My next steps will be to replace the bumper connector, mount the Yaw sensor, TPMS sensor, Camera, cable "dock" (for when the camera/TMPS isn't connected to the truck) and finally, get the TPMS valve stems installed. Hopefully it'll all come down to one sunny Saturday mucking around!
Sponsored

bigredaggie

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor 402A
I ordered the camera/tpms kit after buying a 402A f150 Tremor w pro trailer backup assist etc thinking it would support based on sales reps and ford themselves. It didn’t. After looking at the wire harness I realized (like many others) that the harness clearly doesn’t contain all the wires needed to relay the video signal etc. I do see trailer tpms and aux video options in my Ford sync 4 headunit.

Next step I contacted ford and spent time on the phone trying to get them to share part numbers for wire harnesses, my existing harness, part number is ml3T-13a576-tbc, They wouldn’t give me anything and said the wire-harness you have is the only one listed for your truck which is bullshit frankly because there is absolutely another that doesn’t contain pro trailer backup assist etc support via 7 pin smart connector. They went on to admit my truck wire harness doesn’t support trailer camera and that they didn’t have enough wire harnesses during build phase 1 so no phase 1 f150 2021 builds support trailer camera nor do they plan on supporting (made no sense) and means marketing material is bs. I filed official complaints about this.

I next called ford accessories and tried to get wire harness part numbers (waste of time they couldn’t even fine mine).

I decided not to throw in the towel and noticed 2022 Super Duty forums started reporting ford sync 4 and tpms trailers camera support. This means they use the same wire harness we would use that connects above the spare tire to rear computer. I got together with a few ford parts department reps and found they recently gained access to some newer parts catalogs. We found what should be the compatible wire harness, (support for advanced trailer monitoring, pro trailer assist, dual rear exhaust, etc) and somehow it is in stock so I’ve ordered it. Part number ml3z-13a576-tfa

Fingers crossed guys, will update if it works.
I ordered the camera/tpms kit after buying a 402A f150 Tremor w pro trailer backup assist etc thinking it would support based on sales reps and ford themselves. It didn’t. After looking at the wire harness I realized (like many others) that the harness clearly doesn’t contain all the wires needed to relay the video signal etc. I do see trailer tpms and aux video options in my Ford sync 4 headunit.

Next step I contacted ford and spent time on the phone trying to get them to share part numbers for wire harnesses, my existing harness, part number is ml3T-13a576-tbc, They wouldn’t give me anything and said the wire-harness you have is the only one listed for your truck which is bullshit frankly because there is absolutely another that doesn’t contain pro trailer backup assist etc support via 7 pin smart connector. They went on to admit my truck wire harness doesn’t support trailer camera and that they didn’t have enough wire harnesses during build phase 1 so no phase 1 f150 2021 builds support trailer camera nor do they plan on supporting (made no sense) and means marketing material is bs. I filed official complaints about this.

I next called ford accessories and tried to get wire harness part numbers (waste of time they couldn’t even fine mine).

I decided not to throw in the towel and noticed 2022 Super Duty forums started reporting ford sync 4 and tpms trailers camera support. This means they use the same wire harness we would use that connects above the spare tire to rear computer. I got together with a few ford parts department reps and found they recently gained access to some newer parts catalogs. We found what should be the compatible wire harness, (support for advanced trailer monitoring, pro trailer assist, dual rear exhaust, etc) and somehow it is in stock so I’ve ordered it. Part number ml3z-13a576-tfa

Fingers crossed guys, will update if it works.
GChurch - did your harness have ML3Z-13A576-TFA on it? I ordered the ML3Z-13A576-TFA harness from my local Ford parts counter. Used Ford pass points to get it. It just came in and although the orange label on the box matches what I told them to order, the harness itself has a white label that says ML3T-13A576-TFC on it. The 12 pin connector on the new harness appears to be populated though, so I don’t know if I have the correct harness for my truck or not.

2022 Tremor 402A

Ford F-150 Any update on a Trailer TPMS system? IMG_7983

bigredaggie

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Adding more to the database here.....

I ordered the "TFA" harness. Box from Tasca Parts came today. Looks like the part recieved is now a "TFC". ML3T-13A576-TFC I'm guessing it is an updated part number. It looks like the harness I expected. I haven't had a chance to put it on yet (it just arrived an hour ago), but did lay up under the truck with it and it appears to be right. With the obviouse expected exception of the dual exhaust brackets and 2 extra sensor pulgs (for 6 bumper sensors not 4).

My new question is:
On the outside bumper sensor connectors, which ones do you use and which ones do you leave disconnected and tied up? They do have different wire colors. The old harness is taped up all the way to overlap the connectors, so I can't see the colors on it while it's still up in place. I hoped it would be obvious by the way the harnes lays in place, but deosn't seem so obvious yet.

I will get it in this weekend if weather cooperates, and make sure all of the sensors work corectly after install. I don't have the camera/tpms kit yet to test out on it as I was waiting until I figured the harness part out before spending the coin on it.

One step closer.

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
What trim F150 did you install this on? Single or dual exhaust? I also ordered the TFA harness and received the TFC instead.

2022 Tremor 402A, no auto park/blue cruise (I think this pushes to six rear parking sensors)

bigredaggie

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor 402A
GChurch - did your harness have ML3Z-13A576-TFA on it? I ordered the ML3Z-13A576-TFA harness from my local Ford parts counter. Used Ford pass points to get it. It just came in and although the orange label on the box matches what I told them to order, the harness itself has a white label that says ML3T-13A576-TFC on it. The 12 pin connector on the new harness appears to be populated though, so I don’t know if I have the correct harness for my truck or not.

2022 Tremor 402A

Update: The TFA harness works great. More details and a install video here:

https://www.f150tremor.com/threads/trailer-camera.1989/post-41918

BigJohnLew

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT PowerBoost
The trailer camera kit does have instructions, the wire harness swap is not documented by ford. The local dealership parts guy told me it won’t have any affect on warranty since it’s an oem part and ford hasn’t released guidance. Harness install detailed process below .

1) Drop the spare tire, kit is behind back passenger seat when you pull the top strap and seat back forward
2) work from the connection mount at the spare tire, the connector here is big and fat, and has an immediate right angle for wires. Its a swivel design so you lift the whole top part of it up to get it.
3)slide to your right (if you are looking up with feet under trailer hitch) and look at truck frame by rear left tire, you’ll see a ground wire connecting to main harness connector that is held in place by 10mm bolt.
4) use golf divet repair tool to pry the wire connectors from the frame. You might break some but doesn’t matter. Don’t pull on the wires to remove. There is a little harness that might have a wire crossing your big fat connector preventing you from pulling it out. Follow it and find that it clips in on some sheet metal. To remove you will need to push a tab that is really annoying with something decently long/thin if you have fat fingers like me. I used my phone to snap pic of the top attached below bc it’s impossible to see. Once you do that you can disconnect the crossing wire from adjacent harness. You’ve completed the hardest part.
5) begin removing the old harness now, and work your way to the hitch. Disconnect the old hitch connectors. At this stage I recommend beginning to attach the new harness so you don’t forget how it went.
6) The old harness splits at the bumper, and feeds into lights on both sides of the license plate and backup sensors along the rear bump. 4 total. Start by the license plate lights. These have push connectors on sides you can get with bare hands easy.
7) disconnect backup sensors next to license plate lights. These connectors have a white piece that you have to slide backwards, then push on pretty hard. You’ll feel a “click” when they make it over the tab that sticks out. I used a thin flathead to help.
8) disconnect 2 remaining sensors from the bumper on either end. This is tricky due to the angles and small space, but I got them.
9) remove the old harness push mounts along the inside rear bumper.
10) feed your new harness along the bumper, connect. NOTE, the 250 has an extra sensor on sides of rear bumper so tape the LONG connectors on both ends of the new harness and use the short connector. If you hold up the old harness you’ll see which one to use. I also zip tied extra long sensor wire to make sure it didn’t droop on dual exhaust.
11) go back along everything and make sure all connectors are good and the harness is secure
12) turn on the truck and make sure your license plate lights and backup sensors are working by backing up near a wall.
13) connect trailer and make sure lights etc all working
14) clean your spare tire and put it back
15) enjoy your next haul
I’ll send the trailer camera manual once I’m back at my trailer installing and have it.

BC579F6C-BE9C-4340-99CB-B2B785F11553.jpeg
This was soooo helpful. On my 21 XLT Powerboost, I now have the Trailer backup camera and Trailer TPMS!

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Will the truck give a warning/alarm of some sorts if a trailer tire goes too low or is running too hot?

Or, do you have to remember to monitor it yourself?

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Note: we have a 2021 job 1 Lariat 501A Screw PB, at Power Up 4.2.4.

Also, is it possible to see both the backup cam and the Sync 4 navigation on the 12" center screen - at the same time?

If so, can we choose which of these two are on the larger (left) section, and which is in the smaller cards (right) section.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Will the truck give a warning/alarm of some sorts if a trailer tire goes too low or is running too hot?

Or, do you have to remember to monitor it yourself?
Same as your truck TPMS ..... you will get a warning on the IPC when pressure of a trailer tire drops below your owner-configured trailer tire threshold (alarm) level even when you are not monitoring the trailer TPMS on your display.

I don't believe that there is any alarm related to tire temperature (there is no configuration setting for a temperature related threshold, temperature is only an informational bit of data).

I've tested this with pressure by intentionally lowering air in a trailer tire; have no way of 'testing' the temperature aspect, but again since there's no configuration for a temperature threshold ....

Also, is it possible to see both the backup cam and the Sync 4 navigation on the 12" center screen - at the same time?

If so, can we choose which of these two are on the larger (left) section, and which is in the smaller cards (right) section.
The only aux cam (trailer cam) view is full-screen and to this date no one has found a FORScan option to display the aux/trailer cam view on a 'side-view card'.

Most of us have learned this is not an issue in real-world use. While is sounds sexy to have the trailer cam displayed full-time, in reality your mirrors give you 99% of the rear view you need when traveling down the road and you can easily toggle to the trailer cam on the occasions when needed like backing in tight spaces (you don't need nav or other displays when doing those things).

Bottom line IMO / IME, the benefits of the fully-integrated trailer TPMS/cam far outweigh the cons associated with aftermarket add-on alternatives with external displays, cords, etc. that may tout other 'features'. The Ford accessory trailer TPMS/cam is just plain great and a joy to have (y) :)

Last edited:

dhageremtp

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Healthcare
The cable I have has the smart connection and then the ports for yaw, tpms, and camera. Is there a cable that would just be for the camera?

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Same as your truck TPMS ..... you will get a warning on the IPC when pressure of a trailer tire drops below your owner-configured trailer tire threshold (alarm) level even when you are not monitoring the trailer TPMS on your display.

I don't believe that there is any alarm related to tire temperature (there is no configuration setting for a temperature related threshold, temperature is only an informational bit of data).

I've tested this with pressure by intentionally lowering air in a trailer tire; have no way of 'testing' the temperature aspect, but again since there's no configuration for a temperature threshold ....

The only aux cam (trailer cam) view is full-screen and to this date no one has found a FORScan option to display the aux/trailer cam view on a 'side-view card'.

Most of us have learned this is not an issue in real-world use. While is sounds sexy to have the trailer cam displayed full-time, in reality your mirrors give you 99% of the rear view you need when traveling down the road and you can easily toggle to the trailer cam on the occasions when needed like backing in tight spaces (you don't need nav or other displays when doing those things).

Bottom line IMO / IME, the benefits of the fully-integrated trailer TPMS/cam far outweigh the cons associated with aftermarket add-on alternatives with external displays, cords, etc. that may tout other 'features'. The Ford accessory trailer TPMS/cam is just plain great and a joy to have (y) :)
Thanks for the detailed reply!

Summer 2021 we bought a dealer ordered truck that had exactly what we wanted, except tow mirrors. :(

This, along with an 8" wide travel trailer means a rear camera view is important while going down the road.

Currently we use Vision Works wireless camera mounted next to the rear-view mirror. It's really good product with no connection issues or drop-outs.

We also need to add a TPMS. Using an aftermarket (like TireMinder, etc.) adds yet another device and screen. Using the F150's built in capabilities for both TPMS and rear camera seemed kinda sexy, and more convenient than 3 different screens.

Last year I bought the full Ford kit with the rear camera, TPMS gear, cabling, etc. that now seems to not meet our needs.

Yes, I have noticed a few others have retrofit the tow mirrors. It seemed rather expensive and quite a bit of work. I am hesitant about removing interior components/panels. It seems I always break some of the plastic tabs and things never fit the same again.

Due to aftereffects of a TBI, my wife does most all of the driving (both around town & towing). Being short, she is worried about not being able to see over the tow mirrors and hitting a bike, pedestrian, or other vehicle crossing in front of her from the sides.

I guess we have some decisions to make. :unsure:

Sponsored

jdmsti101

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
@{tpc} and @daemonic3 ,

Not sure if you saw my post on Fri.

I have a newly built 2022 F-150.

That 12 pin connector (ON THE TRUCK SIDE AS BUILT) is now populated with 8 wires (NOT just 2 as the 2021 F150's had).

As long as we are all speculating, I BELIEVE (don't know for sure) we had a left hand/right hand not talking situation in Ford design.

I believe part of Ford design was deciding to allow additional towing support items (like trailer cam and trailer tpms, coming from the Super Dutys), and in the middle of the mix was the yaw sensor deal (sticker and/or sensor), but the net result was the cable team (wiring harness) didn't get the memo and only released with Power & Gnd to that plug. The Accessory team had the Cam and TPMS listed in their catalog, then had to drop it from the F150 as they don't work without the connections.

Now in 2022 they have the right wiring harness (assuming 8 wires is the right amount as is in mine.
That’s pretty strange, I just went down the truck and found out my connector only have two wires. My F-150 was built in 5/2022.

gimp

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
I apologize if this has been covered before, but I just wanted to confirm before I pulled the trigger.

I have a 2021 F-150 XLT Powerboost with Max Tow, Pro Backup Assist and the 360 Camera.

From what I can tell, the correct PN for the harness is ML3Z-13A576-PB. Is that still correct?

Also, most of the conversation around here is for the TMPS with camera kit (LC3Z-1A189-A) but is there a TMPS only kit? I see there is a LC3Z-1A189-B, but I wanted to make sure it would work.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
I apologize if this has been covered before, but I just wanted to confirm before I pulled the trigger.

I have a 2021 F-150 XLT Powerboost with Max Tow, Pro Backup Assist and the 360 Camera.

From what I can tell, the correct PN for the harness is ML3Z-13A576-PB. Is that still correct?

Also, most of the conversation around here is for the TMPS with camera kit (LC3Z-1A189-A) but is there a TMPS only kit? I see there is a LC3Z-1A189-B, but I wanted to make sure it would work.

Thanks!
Hi gimp,

Yes, I have verified operation of the camera with the ML3Z-13A576-PB harness installed. I have yet to get my trailer back with the TPMS valve stems installed, but I assume it will work fine. Just remember to install your reverse sensors (if you have 4 not 6) starting from the inside to the outside of the harness. There will be an empty sensor connection at the far end on either side. Otherwise, you'll get an error.

gimp

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Hi gimp,

Yes, I have verified operation of the camera with the ML3Z-13A576-PB harness installed. I have yet to get my trailer back with the TPMS valve stems installed, but I assume it will work fine. Just remember to install your reverse sensors (if you have 4 not 6) starting from the inside to the outside of the harness. There will be an empty sensor connection at the far end on either side. Otherwise, you'll get an error.
That is awesome. Thank you for the confirmation and advice!

60R

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Hybrid
Yesterday I visited the local Ford dealer to confirm that ML3Z-1A189-F was the correct part to order for my 2023 Lariat PB. When looking on line it seems this part is only for the Lightning. Interestingly enough was that the parts man called his distributor to verify and was told that tpms and camera were only available for Super Duty trucks.

I have verified I have the correct connector under the bumper to make the install.

In short, is ML3Z-1A189-F the correct part number for a PB even though Ford shows it for Lightning only?
Sponsored