Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT SCrew SB, FX4 with Tow
Occupation
Teacher
Here's a table showing the connector / circuit details

F150 TRAILER TPMS AND CAM CIRCUIT CONNECTOR PATH.png
Yesterday I finally pulled the trigger and installed. This graphic was worth my computer's weight in gold!!! I used the posi-taps on c423 to get the wires that were not run to my C439. Another shout out to my son who kept fidgeting with the pigtail and figured out how to dismantle it... he ended up removing pins 4 and 5 and reinserting the existing 4 and 5 into the aftermarket pigtail. Two less posi-taps needed.

Still have many steps to go, but hooked up the camera using the trailer kit cables and....
Ford F-150 Any update on a Trailer TPMS system? 20230326_162234

Holy Hell, do I look like I've gained weight?!? :oops: Ehem... I mean...

Aux camera installed!!! Next step is to fidget with TPMS. I'm pretty certain that the TireMinder TPMS sensors currently in my RV tires will not work with the trailer kit... I'll likely still try just because I get stupid like that. 😏
Sponsored

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Aux camera installed!!! Next step is to fidget with TPMS. I'm pretty certain that the TireMinder TPMS sensors currently in my RV tires will not work with the trailer kit... I'll likely still try just because I get stupid like that. 😏
They won't--you'll need to replace them with the Ford TPMS sensors (which replace the tire valve stems, so it's a ton of work). But if your Tireminder system was anything like mine, these are 10x better. No dropped signals and a much better user interface.

I don't know if you have the same TireMinder controller as I do (mine was a TM 55c), but the thing that I like most about the integrated TPMS is that I no longer have the stupid alert when the TM system turns on every time that there's a vibration in the truck.

mrtull

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT SCrew SB, FX4 with Tow
Occupation
Teacher
They won't--you'll need to replace them with the Ford TPMS sensors (which replace the tire valve stems, so it's a ton of work). But if your Tireminder system was anything like mine, these are 10x better. No dropped signals and a much better user interface.

I don't know if you have the same TireMinder controller as I do (mine was a TM 55c), but the thing that I like most about the integrated TPMS is that I no longer have the stupid alert when the TM system turns on every time that there's a vibration in the truck.
I don't remember off hand what model I had but aside from having the remote unit to monitor pressure and temp there was nothing special about it. One annoyance was that it would cycle from tire to tire rather than just show all the tires.

I didn't think it would, I was just curious to know what would happen if I tried. That said, spending time to try something you know will not work seems kinda silly. :unsure: How did you install them? Did you take your trailer somewhere so they could install all 4, or did you jack your trailer and remove the wheels yourself?

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I don't remember off hand what model I had but aside from having the remote unit to monitor pressure and temp there was nothing special about it. One annoyance was that it would cycle from tire to tire rather than just show all the tires.
Mine shows all 4 at once, but otherwise sounds similar. It had a power-saving "feature" that turned the screen off after a few minutes, but also an accelerometer that would turn it back on if it detected any vibration...and since the sensors weren't immediately connected, it would alert that the tire signals were lost. So every time you would stop for a few minutes and then open a truck door, it would alert. Stupidest design ever. Especially since it was designed to be used in a moving vehicle that would be able to continually charge the device, so no need for their power-saving feature in the first place.

I didn't think it would, I was just curious to know what would happen if I tried. That said, spending time to try something you know will not work seems kinda silly. :unsure: How did you install them? Did you take your trailer somewhere so they could install all 4, or did you jack your trailer and remove the wheels yourself?
I tried it as well, and nothing happened. I believe it's because they use different signals, so they just won't connect. Similar to how your system doesn't start reading the signal from the vehicle next to you as they pass on the highway.

I ended up taking mine to a RV mechanic to have them install the sensors. The local tire shops wouldn't touch a trailer. And I didn't have the tools or the time to try to get them installed on my own.

smitty51054

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 bronco 2013 mini countryman, 2019 subaru outb
Mine shows all 4 at once, but otherwise sounds similar. It had a power-saving "feature" that turned the screen off after a few minutes, but also an accelerometer that would turn it back on if it detected any vibration...and since the sensors weren't immediately connected, it would alert that the tire signals were lost. So every time you would stop for a few minutes and then open a truck door, it would alert. Stupidest design ever. Especially since it was designed to be used in a moving vehicle that would be able to continually charge the device, so no need for their power-saving feature in the first place.

I tried it as well, and nothing happened. I believe it's because they use different signals, so they just won't connect. Similar to how your system doesn't start reading the signal from the vehicle next to you as they pass on the highway.

I ended up taking mine to a RV mechanic to have them install the sensors. The local tire shops wouldn't touch a trailer. And I didn't have the tools or the time to try to get them installed on my own.
Since this post has been so helpful, thought I'd update as i just installed the Ford Accessories F-150 system and it works great. I have an2022 XLT with 360 and tow package along with Pro Backup assist. Ford said I just needed to follow the instructions included with the ML3Z1A189F Camera and TPMS kit and lower the spare, locate the 7 pin plug in the holder and replace the 2 pin plug that shipped from the factory. The correct trailer connector was already installed. They insisted the verified my truck was built with the 7 pin in the holding position. After looking numerous times went to my dealer, they determined the wrong harness was installed and replaced with ML3Z 13A576 PB sealing the two extra Parking assist wires my truck didnt have. Just finished installing the camera and TPMS sensor on my 28' trailer and the camera works great. TPMS on the screen notified me that I hadnt installed the sensors, so Im assuming once I do that will work also. Really appreciate all the posts that got me to this point and identifying the issue with the proper rear bumper harness.

Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I installed the parts listed here and can confirm that TPMS and camera work on a '21 XLT 302A. I didn't need to change any settings in ForScan. The biggest challenge will be adding two extra radar parking sensors because the new harness needs 6 to be content (vs 4 on the stock harness).

Thanks for the great tutorial!

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
The biggest challenge will be adding two extra radar parking sensors because the new harness needs 6 to be content (vs 4 on the stock harness).
Are you getting some sort of error message / DTC?

I did not, just clipped-of the extra sensor wires and touched the ends with a dab of liquid insulation .... no issues at all. Others have reported just taping them out of sight / out of mind with no bad consequence.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Are you getting some sort of error message / DTC?

I did not, just clipped-of the extra sensor wires and touched the ends with a dab of liquid insulation .... no issues at all. Others have reported just taping them out of sight / out of mind with no bad consequence.
I am getting a "parking sensor not available" message. I used the outer 4 plugs and left the inner two plugs unpopulated. Maybe the issue is that it expects input from the inner wires and isn't getting it?

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
I am getting a "parking sensor not available" message. I used the outer two plugs and left the inner two plugs unpopulated. Maybe the issue is that it expects input from the inner wires and isn't getting it?
Use sensor the connectors on the new harness in order working from the center to each end of the bumper; you should have the end-most connectors on the harness left and right un-used, with no error message at all as a result.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Since this post has been so helpful, thought I'd update as i just installed the Ford Accessories F-150 system and it works great. I have an2022 XLT with 360 and tow package along with Pro Backup assist. Ford said I just needed to follow the instructions included with the ML3Z1A189F Camera and TPMS kit and lower the spare, locate the 7 pin plug in the holder and replace the 2 pin plug that shipped from the factory. The correct trailer connector was already installed. They insisted the verified my truck was built with the 7 pin in the holding position. After looking numerous times went to my dealer, they determined the wrong harness was installed and replaced with ML3Z 13A576 PB sealing the two extra Parking assist wires my truck didnt have. Just finished installing the camera and TPMS sensor on my 28' trailer and the camera works great. TPMS on the screen notified me that I hadnt installed the sensors, so Im assuming once I do that will work also. Really appreciate all the posts that got me to this point and identifying the issue with the proper rear bumper harness.
All of the electronic gadgets, especially the towing-related ones, are what kept me from even considering a SuperDuty (ironically, I’m talking about this in a thread about one of the few features that actually is available in a SuperDuty as well, but my point stands). I’d rather give up 4wd and have to be mindful of payload rather than give up things like the 360 cameras, BlueCruise, or the on-board generator.

People can complain about the little annoyances, but to me Ford has knocked this design out of the park. No other manufacturer comes even close to the same mix of features.

Sponsored

tjd2003

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I put my VIN into the Ford accessories site and it's telling me I need part ML3Z1A189F. Looking under my truck, the 12 pin connector seems to be complete with 8 or 9 wires in there. The part they're suggesting includes a new plug and wire harness which I don't believe I'll need. The price on this one is $1040. Would one of the cheaper kits work for me? Mine is a 2022 Platinum 701A for reference.

smitty51054

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 bronco 2013 mini countryman, 2019 subaru outb
I put my VIN into the Ford accessories site and it's telling me I need part ML3Z1A189F. Looking under my truck, the 12 pin connector seems to be complete with 8 or 9 wires in there. The part they're suggesting includes a new plug and wire harness which I don't believe I'll need. The price on this one is $1040. Would one of the cheaper kits work for me? Mine is a 2022 Platinum 701A for reference.
That is the correct one, the harnesses are for the tpms/camera not the rear bumper harness. If you have 8-9 wires in the bottom connector you are good. Dont think there is a separate one.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Would one of the cheaper kits work for me? Mine is a 2022 Platinum 701A for reference.
I'll make no guarantee but FWIW the less expensive LC3Z1A189A is what I installed on my trailer after separately upgrading the truck-side harness on my 2022 500A F150 Lariat. That linked kit is providing me with trailer TPMS (with tire temperatures) and trailer rear cam views. It has the harness-branch for a Yaw-Sensor but did NOT include a Yaw-Sensor module (which I did not want). All is working great with absolutely no problems.

That kit included everything for the trailer-side of the installation and the 7/12 pin socket to replace the 7/4 pin socket on my truck bumper.

I did my installation before the Ford Accessory website was showing any 'F150-specific' trailer TPMS/cam kits.

Nope, I've no idea why the now-listed F150 kits are more expensive or what possible additional benefit they could offer(?).

More FYI, when I ordered that kit from the Ford Accessory website on 6/13/2022 the MSRP was $825 but with a 20% discount offer at the time, my delivered total cost was $715. I selected $9.95 cheapest shipping and received it 3 days after the order was placed.

Good Luck, Have Fun!

Last edited:

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I have a 2021 job 2 XLT 302a that came with trailer stickers, 360* cameras, four rear sensors, and max tow package. The dash screen shows possible trailer tire pressure and the bumper plug appears to only have two wires. What parts are needed for only trailer TPMS ?

Assuming a new harness, but which one ?

Assuming hardware for the trailer like a module ?

And of course sensors to go into the trailer tires, which ones ?

I'm about to replace our current Tymate system ($150) with Tireminder ($300) so I can ball mount our towing accessories (Garmin, Furrion, and TPMS) on a Builtright Dash Mount, but wondering what the cost is if trying to go the OEM route instead for trailer TPMS.

Ford F-150 Any update on a Trailer TPMS system? 1682249890380

Ford F-150 Any update on a Trailer TPMS system? 1682249905775

MTribe

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Great info on this thread!

Question--I have a second trailer so need a second set of TPMS sensors. Does anyone know the newest trailer TPMS sensor part # that definitely includes temperature as well pressure?

The local dealer said:
- TPMS47/HC3Z-1A189-D comes with the LC3Z1A189A trailer camera/sensor kit
- TPMS68 comes on the truck itself
- TPMS104 comes on dually F-250s

But I'm not sure which TPMS sensors include temperature in addition to pressure (or not).
Sponsored

Last edited: