Sponsored

Any product to convert front tow hook to hitch receiver?

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Nope. Have not used it at all.

But, I still like the looks of it.

I don't see why it would not work. It has the same capacity of the tow hooks.

And, as said above, a double line pull back to the other one will even it out across the frame.
Sponsored

mtmiller302

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Powerboost
@jeffcrum
Asking because I want to use that receiver mounting location to move my 6000lb camper around my yard.
FWIW, I made this mod shortly after I got my 2021 three years ago and I push a 6400+lb. trailer around on my driveway (using only one of the receivers) without issue. I looked into tow hook specs and honestly I forget what I found but I did determine that the bolts would not fail. I'd recommend getting an adjustable height ball mount to account for sag due to tongue weight. I may at some point concoct a crossbar hitch that slips into both receivers but I haven't bothered yet. YMMV.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
@jeffcrum
Did you find that spec in the Owners Manual or online somewhere? Do you remember what is was?
Asking because I want to use that receiver mounting location to move my 6000lb camper around my yard.
Thanks for bringing that question up. I cannot quote any specs right now. I did some searching on the tow hooks. I did not search the bolts. Basically, I found nothing. No one seems to want to give those numbers on the hooks. Not Ford. Not anyone else selling them.

Again, the link to the CURT receiver I bought. I believe those specs will cover what you are asking for.
Amazon.com: CURT 49120 2-Inch x 12-Inch Weld-On Raw Steel Trailer Hitch Receiver Tube : Automotive

Thanks to @mtmiller302 for giving their experience.

Based on all of the above, I believe the straight pull on these is certainly at least that of the original tow hooks. But I cannot speak to towing with this setup.

I believe that FL3Z-17N808-A is the part number for the tow hooks and comes with the bolts.

Basic disclaimer: I am not an engineer and these are my opinions only. Please do your own investigations of all parts mentioned. Any use of any of these parts in any manner other than the manufacturer recommends or specifies is your responsibility.

(y)

tshephard

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XL 4x4 5.0 hitch chrome
I got a winch I did not want to haul around everywhere, but did want to winch for my trailer also. This hitch scheme fits my bill for occasional hitch use and parking the trailer too.
So, here's my version of this fellow's work.
I read of his pin problems, so when I mocked up I gave it enough room, and yet it remains NOT the most forward item (OE plate frame). Marked all my toys' depth-past-pin to clear the interior bolts.
(Before I forget, the bolts are .47 thread and .94 head.)
I trimmed my variable air dam (1/4 tools fit fine between dam and fixed dam to access back hole), plus a bit more since it moves, as a guide, and the previous tow bar surround.

For assembly... I put the front bolt in a bit, spun the nut system until I could insert a 1/4 extension (all lined up), and cranked down on the front bolt - rear went right in.

So, painting and final to come, but this pics show work before final.

Ford F-150 Any product to convert front tow hook to hitch receiver? DSCN1844.JPG

Ford F-150 Any product to convert front tow hook to hitch receiver? DSCN1845.JPG

Ford F-150 Any product to convert front tow hook to hitch receiver? DSCN1847.JPG

Ford F-150 Any product to convert front tow hook to hitch receiver? DSCN1848.JPG

Ford F-150 Any product to convert front tow hook to hitch receiver? DSCN1849.JPG

I'll do a final pic after paint.
THANKS for the idea!
Ford F-150 Any product to convert front tow hook to hitch receiver? DSCN1855.JPG

Done!
Sponsored

Last edited: