Anti-Sway bars questions

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Some components return their Payload consumption investment back in Payload management prowess. Exponentially even.

Suspension upgrades can be the crown jewels of such ROI.

Half ton trucks are notorious for being able to carry a Payload that they can't do so with poise. Especially configured as they are from the manufacturer. Let's just say they don't come with the heavy duty truck's advantage of customer tolerance for ride characteristics. :)

If you are thoughtful, you can find a nice balance between the much better ride of an F150, but some increase in chassis composure under load.

On this current 157" Powerboost, I am very happy with the empty ride after adding the Sway Bar and RAS to the leafpak. If I didn't have CCD, I would have also thrown on some improved shocks/dampers on all 4 corners.

Admittedly I still haven't stressed the truck's chassis with a heavy load yet, but even empty it is so obvious how much better the chassis dynamics are. Especially over road irregularities and cornering.

These are such a nice trucks to start with. :)
Was the Hellwig setup an easy DIY job? I'm fairly competent.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Was the Hellwig setup an easy DIY job? I'm fairly competent.
I actually used a Steeda rear bar this time, but fundamentally they are the same.
I have a 2-post lift in the barn and I didn't even go through the trouble of using it. I would have if I had come across a difficulty of any merit. But it was very straight forward.

My suggestion is to install everything loose, except the endlink cradles that attach to the frame. And then once everything is connected up, tighten appropriately.
Mine is 4WD and the clearances to get under the truck were plenty.

stonefly

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Platinum S Crew Powerboost
I'd posted some difficulty with installation here: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/how-to-make-f150-ride-better.13427/post-318240

Could not fit components together plus the exhaust cowl was rubbing.
Steeda said I was on my own with respect to any interference there and they gave me the option to return the whole kit.

Received new U-bolts and brackets, assembled loosely as above with endlinks shortened as much as possible. There is 1.75 inch delta from parallel. I asked my good friends at Steeda if it mattered. No answer thus far.

Prior descriptions used "more planted" after install. That fits. Huge difference.
After I get my new axle I'll be able to see how it changes towing.

Ford F-150 Anti-Sway bars questions IMG_0683

Ford F-150 Anti-Sway bars questions IMG_0684

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I wonder how many of the sticker naughtzees who've installed sways and other towing equipment like RAS or bags put a new payload sticker on their trucks indicating their aftermarket accessory payload reductions? :unsure:

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just FYI Belltech also offers a rear anti sway bar for the 2021+ F150, PN 5561. Among its claims are
  • 1" cold formed steel (solid)
  • Heim joints rather than resilient bushings on the end links
  • Polyurethane bushings at the axle mounts
  • Drilling required to install
This bar appears to tuck closer to the axle than the Hellwig and Steeda offerings (the 'saddle' on the axle is not spaced as low below the axle).

Available from several sources at ~$420 with free shipping (google: Belltech 5561)

Installation instructions attached. Again, just posting FYI.
I took a close look at those instructions.... Um, hell nah. Cue old lady "that's not how this works"
Plus "drill a hole" -- how about you guys just use a factory hole. Sway bars are easy money high-profit products. Why is there so much half-assery going on?

Ford F-150 Anti-Sway bars questions 1680156434761

And steeda -- WTH there's no reason to stand this off, and the links. Wow

Ford F-150 Anti-Sway bars questions 1680156676994

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Meanwhile ....
Fits all Tundras
Ford F-150 Anti-Sway bars questions 1680157473518

someday

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Antimatter Blue PB XLT High
There is 1.75 inch delta from parallel. I asked my good friends at Steeda if it mattered. No answer thus far.
@stonefly did you ever get an answer from Steeda on the delta? I've got a bar inbound, but that will drive me crazy, especially where the install instructions say it should be parallel. I'm considering sending it right back.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@stonefly did you ever get an answer from Steeda on the delta? I've got a bar inbound, but that will drive me crazy, especially where the install instructions say it should be parallel. I'm considering sending it right back.
Yeah, not cool that minimum setting hangs down like that. Just asking to get beat up.

stonefly

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Platinum S Crew Powerboost
@someday - No response as yet via email. Sent them the same pics.
I think I will forward them this thread link and see if a potential loss of sale gets attention.
FWIW- works great with towing; I'm 600 miles in a 1500 mile trip. Wonder how good it would feel if they were in fact parallel...

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@someday - No response as yet via email. Sent them the same pics.
I think I will forward them this thread link and see if a potential loss of sale gets attention.
FWIW- works great with towing; I'm 600 miles in a 1500 mile trip. Wonder how good it would feel if they were in fact parallel...
At those angles you wouldn't notice anything, at all. It's just the fact it's now protruding below the truck that's the issue. It certainly sticks out visually if nothing else.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If it really bothers you that much, maybe consider having someone with the necessary tools shorten the end links to exactly what you want?

I'm no machinists, but a bandsaw, a welder, and some paint?

I'm surprised that they don't have another application that calls for a shorter endlink. But I've been running it for months and haven't snagged them. And the finish is holding up nicer than my previous Helwigs have.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the reminder.
I might inquire if they can sell the endlinks. I like their design, but the adjustability doesn't do any good if the best length is outside the adjustment range.
Sponsored