First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT screw
Occupation
Aggregate junkie
Just FYI Belltech also offers a rear anti sway bar for the 2021+ F150, PN 5561. Among its claims are
  • 1" cold formed steel (solid)
  • Heim joints rather than resilient bushings on the end links
  • Polyurethane bushings at the axle mounts
  • Drilling required to install
This bar appears to tuck closer to the axle than the Hellwig and Steeda offerings (the 'saddle' on the axle is not spaced as low below the axle).

Available from several sources at ~$420 with free shipping (google: Belltech 5561)

Installation instructions attached. Again, just posting FYI.
I read those directions, then again, and once more after that, for the life of me I cannot figure out why I need to remove the front wheels to install a rear anti sway bar. I’m a commercial truck driver, not an engineer, what am I missing?
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I believe I recall @Snakebitten mentioning that for his 4WD install he adjusted the 4WD end-links to the shortest length (?).

I'm sorely tempted to order the 'short link' 2WD PN 555-1028 for my application - am I bent on a fool's errand / destined for disappointment?
Yes, your recollection is accurate.
In fact I also mentioned that the 4WD endlink is actually a bit too long even at its shortest adjustment.

It prohibits the sway bar from being perfectly parallel to the ground front/rear.

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I read those directions, then again, and once more after that, for the life of me I cannot figure out why I need to remove the front wheels to install a rear anti sway bar. I’m a commercial truck driver, not an engineer, what am I missing?
Same. The only way I could twist it to make sense - it's a precaution to prevent the vehicle from rolling during installation. Though waaay too much, imo.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I would guess a copy/paste error by the typesetter. It's really easy to do when you're making a lot of copy. At least that's what our marketing department says....

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 500A Lariat 4x4 5.0L
How easy is to install these? I probably can't get shipping to APO, so this will be a when I get back purchase. Regardless, the price is too good to pass on if it adds benefits. thanks

edit: steeda has distributors in Europe it seems, worth reaching out maybe

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How easy is to install these? I probably can't get shipping to APO, so this will be a when I get back purchase. Regardless, the price is too good to pass on if it adds benefits. thanks
I'm 65 years old.
I have a 2 post lift in my barn.

I didn't even go through the effort to use the lift.

Admittedly my belly had me entering either behind the axle or in front of it, as I attached everything. (loosely, before tightening everything down)

I am not able to easily slide under the axle itself, if you know what I mean. Lol

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
It's fairly easy, given you have the correct tools. Deep-well sockets and/or ratcheting open end wrenches will make things a bit easier due to the length of some of the bolts.

As above, I installed it without lifting the truck at all; just sliding around on the garage floor as needed.

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excuse my ignorance, an anti-sway bar is the same or different as a stabilizer bar? Since I didn't take a tow package, I don't have a stabilizer bar. Would this be the same thing? And if yes, do people with the tow package change theirs?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you asking about a front or rear stabilizer?

No tow package on an F150 will get you a stabilizer/sway bar in the rear.

I'm not sure about the front. On previous generation F150 I think you did get a front sway with certain packages, or you got a bigger sway with certain packages. I'm not completely sure if there were F150s without a front sway altogether?

I know that I wouldn't like it without a front, unless I was rock crawling

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you asking about a front or rear stabilizer?

No tow package on an F150 will get you a stabilizer/sway bar in the rear.

I'm not sure about the front. On previous generation F150 I think you did get a front sway with certain packages, or you got a bigger sway with certain packages. I'm not completely sure if there were F150s without a front sway altogether?

I know that I wouldn't like it without a front, unless I was rock crawling
This from the regular Tow Package:

Stabilizer Bar | Position/Diameter/Type | Front/36 mm/hollow(1)

(1) All 122" WB models get a stiffer 36 mm solid stabilizer bar along with models equipped with either the Trailer Tow Package (53A) or the Max Trailer Tow Package (53C). Models with the Heavy-Duty Payload Package (627) get a 36 mm solid stabilizer bar as well.
Ford shows 2 part numbers available for purchase (this is just part, more parts needed):
ML3Z-5482-A Suspension Stabilizer Bar - Front
ML3Z-5482-D Suspension Stabilizer Bar - Front (this one for 5.0)

Ford F-150 Anti-Sway bars questions Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 15.28.09

Ford F-150 Anti-Sway bars questions Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 15.28.55

So this bar is the one the Tow Package adds? And why doesn't any tow package add a rear stabilizer bar if it helps towing?

Thanks.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
^ good find.

Why does Ford not equip any F150 with a rear anti-sway/stabilizer?

Once you add one and experience it's affect on the chassis dynamics, you REALLY wonder why they don't at least offer it as an option.

Their competition does.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
^ good find.

Why does Ford not equip any F150 with a rear anti-sway/stabilizer?

Once you add one and experience it's affect on the chassis dynamics, you REALLY wonder why they don't at least offer it as an option.

Their competition does.
If you have enough effective spring rate, you may not need a rear sway bar.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Never had a modern (21st century) F150 with enough effective spring rate from the factory. :)

I realize that's subjective, but I'm not really a fan of body roll at even low rate of turn-in.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
Never had a modern (21st century) F150 with enough effective spring rate from the factory. :)

I realize that's subjective, but I'm not really a fan of body roll at even low rate of turn-in.
I would think the rear leaf springs from the Heavy Duty Payload Package would have enough spring rate.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I respectfully suggest that no 'effective' spring rate will accomplish the same thing as an anti-sway bar - the two components serve distinctly different, albeit complementary, functions.

If you increase spring rate to the stiffness required to manage body-roll to the degree that an anti-sway bar can, you'll almost assuredly have an untenably stiff spring that won't provide good compliance with irregular road surfaces and will be harsh-riding. That's detrimental to both handling and comfort.

An appropriately matched spring-rate / anti-sway bar combination will provide both good road-compliance / comfortable ride along with well-managed body-roll in turns.

Yeah, IMO, with regard to towing Ford could do better with both of those components and shocks (damping). For the many (majority?) of modern F150 owners for whom 'comfort is king' and who rarely tow or carry substantial loads, they're probably providing the least-expensive 'happy medium' solution.
Sponsored

Last edited: