• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor, Ford Mustang Mach-e
The chargers at a Ford dealership are L2 AC chargers. Some Nissan and other dealerships have been putting in 50kWh DC chargers.
Some do. The two Nissan dealers here have a 25kwh charger and a 0 kWh charger. Your mileage may vary.

BTW the cost for the 50 kWh chargers? Out here around $250,000 each.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JoeDimwit

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Occupation
Electrician.
Thanks!

Did they say WHY the bigger battery charges faster?

Does it have a higher max charge rate?

Does it just taper slower (very likely)?

To me, the information they gave for miles of charge gained in 10 mins means there are two options:

1. The bigger battery simply has a higher max charge rate.
2. The info they gave is based on starting at a relatively high battery charge level (not 0-10%). This could result in the smaller battery quickly tapering its rate, while the ER battery can continue at 150kW.

The smaller battery would have to taper FAST or simply not actually charge at the same rate to get 30% less range in just 10 mins of charging. That's a huge difference for two trucks with the same max charge rate charging from a low SOC.
My understanding is that the f150 extended range battery is, when it comes to charging, basically 2 batteries with their own charging pathways. This means from the plug, the electricity flows down 2 separate paths, through the separate converters (or skips the converters if DC is what is being supplied), through the charger, and into the battery. Where this helps is that on a typical 150kW ChargePoint, you only see peak current for a short amount of time. The dual charger setup allows the truck to draw the higher current for longer, because the chargers are sharing the available current. So, if my Mach-e pulls 150 for 3 minutes then drops to 62kW, and the F150 exhibits the same behavior, it’s going to feed both chargers about 75kW for that first 3 minutes, then when the chargers drop to that 68kW range (EACH) that going to be 136kW the truck is still feeding into the pack.

before you come for me over the numbers, please realize that I am using fictitious numbers just to explain what is happening according to the vehicle experts I spoke with in very general terms. The actual observed charging rates may be different, but the concept is still the same.

StudentBiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape

StudentBiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape
The charger map on ford.com shows some chargers at Nissan dealers, but I've yet to find a single charger at a Ford dealership. Someone please tell me plans are in progress for Ford to build out a fast charger network using their existing dealer network. That to me seems like a no brainer.
My dealership shows up on the map. It looks like not all EV Certified dealerships make their chargers available to the general public, and it is true that many lock up their lots after hours anyways. You can assume all of the 2,300 EV Certified Ford dealers (which you can look up using the dealer locator on Ford.com) will have 2 chargers as stated by others here, but since each dealership is an independent businesses, you can probably also assume that they're free to make their own decisions about who is allowed to use their chargers and whether they want to be listed on public charging maps.

euchre_u

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GX460, RX350, EX35
Occupation
Old Farmer - Outstanding in my field
Has there been any guidelines given on pricing for the F-150 Lightnings? Has anyone asked if the A/D/X Plan pricing will be available for the 2022 model year? Did Ford give A/D/X Plan pricing on the Bronco or Mach-e?

Sponsored

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
retired
My dealership shows up on the map. It looks like not all EV Certified dealerships make their chargers available to the general public, and it is true that many lock up their lots after hours anyways. You can assume all of the 2,300 EV Certified Ford dealers (which you can look up using the dealer locator on Ford.com) will have 2 chargers as stated by others here, but since each dealership is an independent businesses, you can probably also assume that they're free to make their own decisions about who is allowed to use their chargers and whether they want to be listed on public charging maps.
Seems like Ford is missing a great opportunity, living in Oklahoma, there is a ford dealer every 30 miles, charges are much more scarce.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2020 LexusRX350; 2021 Mazda Miata
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I reserved a 2022 Lightning, figure what the heck, just $100 that you can get back if it don't work out.

Saw where the current leadership has promised a stark increase in funding for charging stations in the very near future.

I am very interested in the EV movement but will be more interested in the next gen battery pact tech of the Solid State Batteries SSB. Toyota is to have a working model sometime this year. If they have worked out the issues that is a much better system for weight, charging time, cost, safety and power.

This was a good review from one who got to drive the EV.

They do a good job here of discussing the standard equipment for each model as well as the systems.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
I reserved a 2022 Lightning, figure what the heck, just $100 that you can get back if it don't work out.

Saw where the current leadership has promised a stark increase in funding for charging stations in the very near future.

I am very interested in the EV movement but will be more interested in the next gen battery pact tech of the Solid State Batteries SSB. Toyota is to have a working model sometime this year. If they have worked out the issues that is a much better system for weight, charging time, cost, safety and power.

This was a good review from one who got to drive the EV.

They do a good job here of discussing the standard equipment for each model as well as the systems.

I doubt we’ll see any consumer vehicles with SSB in less than 5 years. One $2M HyperCar with SSB is planned for 2023 release.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2020 LexusRX350; 2021 Mazda Miata
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I doubt we’ll see any consumer vehicles with SSB in less than 5 years. One $2M HyperCar with SSB is planned for 2023 release.
Toyota has a working model coming out this year as an R&D version but 3-5 years is probably a reasonable time frame.
Sponsored