• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Every Ford EV dealer has to have at least 2 chargers, one available to the public and the other in the service department. Not all Ford dealers are ev certified for either sales or service.
The chargers at a Ford dealership are L2 AC chargers. Some Nissan and other dealerships have been putting in 50kWh DC chargers.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Thanks!

Did they say WHY the bigger battery charges faster?

Does it have a higher max charge rate?

Does it just taper slower (very likely)?

To me, the information they gave for miles of charge gained in 10 mins means there are two options:

1. The bigger battery simply has a higher max charge rate.
2. The info they gave is based on starting at a relatively high battery charge level (not 0-10%). This could result in the smaller battery quickly tapering its rate, while the ER battery can continue at 150kW.

The smaller battery would have to taper FAST or simply not actually charge at the same rate to get 30% less range in just 10 mins of charging. That's a huge difference for two trucks with the same max charge rate charging from a low SOC.
If the answer for the Mach E battery packs applies here, it is simply a matter of the number of cells and the kW/cell charging rate. 50% larger battery, 50% faster charging rate. The Mach E has two battery options
68 kWh usable with 115 kW max charging rate
88 kWh usable with 150 kW charging rate
68/88=.773
115/150=.767

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired oceanographer
That makes sense, but I wonder why Nissan dealerships do while EV-certified Ford dealerships do not appear on the ford.com charger network map. I dare say the majority of Ford dealerships are located on or just off the roads you’re likely to be traveling down for long trips, i.e. Interstate and major U.S. highways. Hopefully they do appear on the in-vehicle navigation maps. Can anyone who’s been in a Mach-E confirm? It seems to be unwise for Ford to depend on Walmart and Electrify America to take care the people who are buying perhaps the most important vehicle Ford has built since the Model T. Most of these EA stations have 3 CCS chargers, so hopefully charger supply will keep pace with battery demand. 70% of Mach-E buyers have been new to the Ford nameplate and I suspect a similar number will also be to the Lightning. I myself am.
As stated above, most Ford dealers only have L2 chargers whereas most Nissan dealers have slow (50kW) DCFC chargers. When Nissan released the Leaf they needed to provide their own network. Ford doesn't really need to now. However, I think it would be smart for Ford to install DCFC chargers at some dealerships. That 1/2 hour to kill is a great time to look at new cars/trucks.

Right after I took delivery of my Mach E I took a trip from MD to SW FL, across FL a few times, and back. I used the in-vehicle navigation to map out chargers and it worked great. One charging stop per state except 2 in FL. The placement of EA stations at Walmarts works well, even better when the area is served by multiple dining options. The EA stations I saw all had four or six chargers. The better ones had at least two 350kW chargers as well as 150kW chargers. All stations had one charger that is 150kW CCS / 50 kW CHAdeMO. I had some issues getting some of the charging to work or to work at the speed I wanted. I charger hopped a couple of times to get one that worked, I call EA a few times. I was ALWAYS able to get my charge at the promised rate. The good news is I could literally see the EA system and the integration with the Mach E, including Plug & Charge, improve as the trip went on. EA and Ford were working hard to get the kinks out. I took delivery in February and made the trip in April, so it was very early in the roll out of the Mach E.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
If the answer for the Mach E battery packs applies here, it is simply a matter of the number of cells and the kW/cell charging rate. 50% larger battery, 50% faster charging rate. The Mach E has two battery options
68 kWh usable with 115 kW max charging rate
88 kWh usable with 150 kW charging rate
68/88=.773
115/150=.767
That makes sense, normally, yeah. I had heard that both were 150kW, but it seems there may be a difference, though.

Also, the other limitation is charger amperage.

If the batteries are ~400V, then the EA chargers at ~350-400A are going to give you about 150kW. They both might max our the normal charger amperage if they're so much bigger than the 88kWh Mach E battery and ~400V. Hopefully we'll get more data soon!

jas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic
It kind of looks obvious but does the F-150 Lightning have amber colored rear turn signal lights?

And will there be a roll pan for the F-150 Lightning?

Sponsored

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
roll pan?

The entire bottom of the frame has skid plates and the battery pack is waterproof if that's what you were asking.

jas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic
roll pan?

The entire bottom of the frame has skid plates and the battery pack is waterproof if that's what you were asking.
I just read that they aren't legal. They are bumper replacements to help shorten the length of a truck. Sorry, I'm new to trucks and truck usage.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired oceanographer
@drcarric2650 asked:
1> How many lightning's will Ford make in 2022?

Farley says production will be limited.
Sources have speculated SK Innovations will only be able to provide 80,000 batteries
There is no definitive answer. At this point, I don't think Ford has officially announced how many 2021 Mustang Mach Es will be produced. I don't expect Ford will be any more forthcoming with an answer on F-150 numbers. I seem to recall in was the the Electrek interview with Darren Palmer where he said Ford doesn't release planned production numbers.

2> What is the price of the extended range option?

In the Pro series the answer seems to be $10,000
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...ric-work-truck-for-commercial-customers.3788/

3> In reference to chargers at ford dealers:
- Will the charges be 150K ?
- How many ford dealers will have chargers by the end of next year?
- How many chargers will be at each ford dealership?
- Will the lobby be available to those charging their vehicles, during opening hours?
- Will charges be available at the dealers when they are closed?
- Will you have a web sight to show which dealers have charges, and if they plan chargers soon (with date of availability)?

So far, Ford only requires dealers to have two L2 chargers, one accessible by customers and one in service. Some are available when the dealer is closed and some are not. All EV-certified Ford dealers already have these. No word yet if they will require dealers to add the new 80A chargers for the F-150.

You can search for these dealers at https://www.ford.com/dealerships/ and use the Advanced Search to search for EV-certified dealers. I doubt any dealer would mind you using the service waiting area while you charge. However, L2 charging takes a very long time.

Your best bet to find out about charging stations isn't to look at dealers' L2 chargers but to use the FordPass Charging Network website:
https://www.ford.com/buy-site-wide-content/overlays/try-the-tech/
There you will find the DC Fast Chargers (DCFC) that will charge 15-80% in 41 minutes.

SBrentnall asked about charging while connected to a trailer. This will be a problem at many stations. Most of the Electrify America stations I've seen are front-in parking in a lane of travel in a Walmart parking lot. Others are front-in diagonals in one-way driving lanes. Parking while connected may be a real pain. You can see some of these in the charging videos from my trip with my Mustang Mach E to Florida:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/my-travels-with-marlin-gb-fe-delivered.3298/post-126280
and
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/my-travels-with-marlin-gb-fe-delivered.3298/post-133460

Note: The issues I had with Plug & Charge in the early videos was later resolved.

Last edited:

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Any idea when B&P will be ready? Most of us are ready to see it. I could easily park at my local Walmart with a trailer IF a charge extension cord was available. I am not going to tow my trailer with my lightning but there are workarounds including offering a gas station style pull thru charge area like the roll out video shows.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired oceanographer
In response to the questions thread.... questions thread

The numbers on DCFC are accurate, the extended battery will charge faster than the standard battery. Apparently, the on oard chargers also handle the charging control, not just converting the AC to DC. So, in effect, the truck has 2 smaller batteries each with their own current flow and control when charging. Even at a DCFC charger.

I was not able to get measurements for how far the mirror to mirror width is, they are understandably concerned about the idea of a metal measuring tape anywhere near their show vehicle.we were allowed to stick our head into the truck, and I got a few pictures of the interior, but no touching. At all. The Mirrors do fold in, and there is a trailer package with the extended mirrors. The standard ones look to stick out about 10 inches from the A-pillar.

The bed liner looks like it’s sprayed in, no one could tell me what material it is.

The headlights are Active Matrix, but they aren’t sure if they are disabled by software like the Mach-E.

The Lightning is a nameplate, and will be available in various12 inch trim levels. The one they had here was a Platinum.

I didn’t ask about 110v charging, because the size of these battery packs is going to make the charge rate of 110 WAY too slow. My Mach-E would take 96ish hours to charge from empty to full on 110v, and these battery packs are bigger.

Before you ask, they wouldn’t tell me the size of the battery pack, just that it is larger than the Mach-E.

The 12 inch landscape screen is standard, the 15 inch portrait screen is an upgrade that comes standard in some trims.

The question everyone wants to know the answer to is how far will it tow… they would not give an answer. Several people asked while I was there, we all got “There are a great many variables that affect tow range, we can not give an accurate answer at this time”.

There is not a plan for a “Ford Charging Network” at this time. The plan is to partner with Electrify America. Charging with a trailer attached is going to depend on the stations setup, and Ford can recommend, but not require setups for stations.

I know this doesn’t answer all the questions, but I also hope it helps.
Joe

now for the pictures…

2022 F-150 Lightning Pickup Event 14.jpg
2022 F-150 Lightning Pickup Event 13.jpg
2022 F-150 Lightning Pickup Event 11.jpg
2022 F-150 Lightning Pickup Event 1.jpg
2022 F-150 Lightning Pickup Event 4.jpg
2022 F-150 Lightning Pickup Event 3.jpg
2022 F-150 Lightning Pickup Event 6.jpg
2022 F-150 Lightning Pickup Event 10.jpg
2022 F-150 Lightning Pickup Event 9.jpg
2022 F-150 Lightning Pickup Event 12.jpg
2022 F-150 Lightning Pickup Event 8.jpg
2022 F-150 Lightning Pickup Event 7.jpg
2022 F-150 Lightning Pickup Event 5.jpg
2022 F-150 Lightning Pickup Event 2.jpg

The question everyone wants to know the answer to is how far will it tow… they would not give an answer. Several people asked while I was there, we all got “There are a great many variables that affect tow range, we can not give an accurate answer at this time”.

There is not a plan for a “Ford Charging Network” at this time. The plan is to partner with Electrify America. Charging with a trailer attached is going to depend on the stations setup, and Ford can recommend, but not require setups for stations.

I know this doesn’t answer all the questions, but I also hope it helps.
Joe

now for the pictures…
Awesome to see you covering the Lightning from the inside!

Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Any idea when B&P will be ready? Most of us are ready to see it. I could easily park at my local Walmart with a trailer IF a charge extension cord was available. I am not going to tow my trailer with my lightning but there are workarounds including offering a gas station style pull thru charge area like the roll out video shows.
What's B&P?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired oceanographer
B&P = Build and price tool. Allows customers to configure and price vehicles.
Thanks. They said price lists will be released in the fall. Such tools will probably open at the same time, hopefully in advance of orders opening. Ford may also use the entirely online ordering they unveiled for the Mach E but haven't implemented.

Last edited:

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
B&P = Build and price tool. Allows customers to configure and price vehicles.
Hopefully this will be available soon as they have now released the details for all trim levels. However, it may be closer to them opening orders that it's available. I would like to see what options are available on the pro trim vs the xlt

Villageidit

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 1500, 2008 Honda Element,
Occupation
Retired
Thanks. They said price lists will be released in the fall. Such tools will probably open at the same time, hopefully in advance of orders opening. Ford may also use the entirely online ordering they unveiled for the Mach E but haven't implemented.
Hopefully this will be available soon as they have now released the details for all trim levels. However, it may be closer to them opening orders that it's available. I would like to see what options are available on the pro trim vs the xlt
The Bronco B&P was online approximately three months after reservations opened. Would hope for similar results on the Lightning.
Sponsored