• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
OP
OP
F150_Xpress

F150_Xpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Sprinter,R1250 GSA, Husky TPI, KTM 790
Not only that, the Rivian is a smaller truck, less room in the bed and in the cab.
I prefer the smaller size of the Rivian and have an order in as well. We'll see which shows up first!
Sponsored

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Farmer/Hillbilly
Thank you for all the answers you were able to coax out of Ford.

I have a few ideas for future versions of the Lightning that I think would be winners and make Ford some extra cash.

1. I see that they are going to fake a propulsion sound. I would like to be able to buy alternate sounds like making my Lightning sound like a GTO or a Ferrari. They could sell them like ringtones for phones and we could download them for how we feel like that day.

2. Please delete that awful vision-obstructing rear view mirror already. With all the cameras it is as useful as curb feelers.

3. I do like the throw back radio antenna but why put it in front of the windshield. They could easily move it to the back of the cab out of my line of sight.

4. With all the cameras and the number of people now using dash cams why not build in a DVR function so we might be able to catch and record a few highway accidents and sidewalk muggings as we pass by. I am sure the cops would love to have more evidence from the public and it could all have the Ford logo on each frame.

5. I really appreciate that Ford has placed the charger hookup on both sides. Anybody else ever pull up to a gas pump in mama's car, get out to fill up and find you're on the wrong side? But for us trailer folks one more placement at the front for pulling up to a DC charger while pulling the trailer would be helpful.

6. My tiny wife is not looking forward to getting in another truck where I have to boost her up to the step. I do wish there was a 20 inch tire option on the Platinum for little girls (and little boys).

7. I know it is not a new complaint but who decided that a tall ipad-like tablet three inches higher than the dash was a good idea? Maybe I could hide things behind it along with the dust bunnies that are sure to collect there.

8. Small item but I see where Silverado is finally getting rid of their steering column gear stick. I hated that. Felt like I was driving Dad's truck. But there must be a better way to incorporate turn signals and windshield wipers than on a left hand stick. Maybe figure out how to place some controls on the interior edge of the steering wheel or make the whole thing into a yoke.

9. I do like the work surface over the gear shifter but it might be nice to have a slight edge on it so my pencil does not keep falling between the seats.

10. Finally, I have not yet seen photos of the spare tire assembly but one of the reasons I refuse to even try to change a flat tire on the road (I am too cheap for mobile service) is the terribly dangerous jacks that usually come with the truck and I hate crawling under the bed to unscrew a rusty nut to have a dirty tire drop on my face. Why couldn't some smart engineer with time on his hands design a spare that slides out the back along with an sturdy electric jack? While you are at it build into the truck an electric air compressor option.

I think we need a little less High Tech and a bit more Common Sense.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
5) I don't believe there is a charger connection on both sides, only on the driver, the passenger side is just a matching panel.

7) the pro and XLT don't have the large screen. They get a 12 inch screen that is the upgraded screen in the current truck.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
5. I really appreciate that Ford has placed the charger hookup on both sides. Anybody else ever pull up to a gas pump in mama's car, get out to fill up and find you're on the wrong side? But for us trailer folks one more placement at the front for pulling up to a DC charger while pulling the trailer would be helpful.
I was under impression that the charge port is only on the left. The thing on the right is cosmetic.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
7. I know it is not a new complaint but who decided that a tall ipad-like tablet three inches higher than the dash was a good idea? Maybe I could hide things behind it along with the dust bunnies that are sure to collect there.

I own a Mach E with that screen in the middle. I was a bit hesitant about it until I saw it in person. It blends into the dash way better in person than it appears in pictures.

EVs are techy by nature, so tech kinda comes with the territory. that's what drew me to the Lightning and to purchase a Mach E.......YMMV

Sponsored

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
10. Finally, I have not yet seen photos of the spare tire assembly but one of the reasons I refuse to even try to change a flat tire on the road (I am too cheap for mobile service) is the terribly dangerous jacks that usually come with the truck and I hate crawling under the bed to unscrew a rusty nut to have a dirty tire drop on my face. Why couldn't some smart engineer with time on his hands design a spare that slides out the back along with an sturdy electric jack? While you are at it build into the truck an electric air compressor option.
F150 spare tires are cable mounted with a winch to raise/lower them, there is no crawling under. Once you wind it down you can reach under the bumper and slide it out.

FordLightning

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Deposit on Ford Lightning
I would like a “hunting/hiking/nature mode”. Basically, a way to turn off propulsion sounds for 30 minutes up to 25mph. I could arrive to a hunting/hiking area and drive back a mountain road without spooking all the animals on the way back to a trailhead.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I would like a “hunting/hiking/nature mode”. Basically, a way to turn off propulsion sounds for 30 minutes up to 25mph. I could arrive to a hunting/hiking area and drive back a mountain road without spooking all the animals on the way back to a trailhead.
I think the propulsion sounds are optional... changed in the setting menu.

I saw the button to click it on/off during one of the videos...

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I think the propulsion sounds are optional... changed in the setting menu.

I saw the button to click it on/off during one of the videos...
I think there is a propulsion sound played inside the vehicle and then the pedestrian warning that is played outside the vehicle. I don't believe you can disable the pedestrian warning sound as this is a government mandated safety feature.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I think there is a propulsion sound played inside the vehicle and then the pedestrian warning that is played outside the vehicle. I don't believe you can disable the pedestrian warning sound as this is a government mandated safety feature.
Exactly, people have been trying to get rid of it on the PowerBoost without much success. It's a safety thing so definitely not something they'll let you disable unfortunately.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Exactly, people have been trying to get rid of it on the PowerBoost without much success. It's a safety thing so definitely not something they'll let you disable unfortunately.
It should be pretty simple to just unplug the speaker. 99% of people won't care about it. The rest will eventually get used to it. I imagine a few people felt the same way about having a chime when you leave your keys in or lights on.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
It should be pretty simple to just unplug the speaker. 99% of people won't care about it. The rest will eventually get used to it. I imagine a few people felt the same way about having a chime when you leave your keys in or lights on.
You can, but you then get errors on the screen every time you start the truck, it knows it’s disconnected.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
You can, but you then get errors on the screen every time you start the truck, it knows it’s disconnected.
People defeat emissions control devices and live with a check engine light on ?

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I was dead set on the Rivian until I thought about what happens if I need warranty repair. There isn't a Rivian dealer any where near me. There's 5 Ford dealers all within 20 miles of home. 4 of them are listed as authorized EV dealers.
I still expect to get the Rivian R1T. First, it wouldn't be my daily driver and if it needs anything, they flatbed it away and I drive the Hybrid. Having had 3 Teslas, I'd advise against an EV as your only vehicle or your daily driver. Also, if you just don't have time to compensate for the "startup" slowness of service, an EV is going to tax your patience.

I think Ford is unlike Rivian or Tesla. Of course that sounds like stating the obvious. But given Ford is almost a "startup" in selling EVs, I think the comparison is not simply "Ford knows how to build a million F-150s … Tesla is nowhere near that number for all their models combined." The rollout of the Bronco was/is apparently a cluster, the Mach-e, I don't know, but by the time the Lightning is in production, I'd like to think Ford will be on the A game and it will be like buying any F-150 … 1% will have problems and people like me will just get one, drive it 6800 miles with zero problems, drop it at the dealer for some upgrades and so far, not a rattle or a squeak.

The Rivian is much shorter 217x82x76 vs Lightning at 233x80x79 (LxWxH.) I've been around the Rivian in person and I'd size it as about equal to a Range Rover and their people said that was their primary reference point … it's not a full size half ton pickup … it's a luxury lifestyle statement. It's not replacing my tow vehicle, it replaces our Tesla Model X as the family activity mule. Anyway, the Rivian shows up this year, the Lightning maybe '22 or '23. The Rivian is a niche EV, the Lightning is a broad market appeal.

I'm surprised to see reports that Ford will build 80K units for the first year … I would have thought there's far more demand.

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
3. I do like the throw back radio antenna but why put it in front of the windshield. They could easily move it to the back of the cab out of my line of sight.
The benefit to the antenna (so I’m told) is that it whacks the top of low parking garages first, and let’s you know to mash the brake before you turn your $89K truck into a convertible!
Sponsored