• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Angles...

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
The truck looks great. Really. It looks like a truck, not some Blade-Runner scooter car. We don't live in the year 3572, it's 2021.

Anyway...

I realize it's a truck, and it's set up to haul a load in the back. But if it doesn't look like it's under a HARD brake all the time, I don't know.

Ford F-150 Lightning Angles... 2022-F-150-Lightning-XLT-Oxford-White-On-The-Road-Photos-November-2021-Exterior-004 - angle 1

This has bothered me for the whole time I've had my reservation. It looks more severe than on the ICE truck, but maybe it's because I see so many of them around that have been "leveled" to some extent.

I think one thing contributing to the more severe look here (besides the hugely different gap in the wheel wells) is the rear suspension and motor skid plate underneath. Emphasizing ground level right in front of the rear wheel really makes the forward-tilt more apparent to me. The spare tire under the back doesn't help any either.

Ford F-150 Lightning Angles... 2022-F-150-Lightning-XLT-Oxford-White-On-The-Road-Photos-November-2021-Exterior-004 - angle 2

It really makes the Oxford White version look like a serious work truck. Good or bad. Not exactly what I was going for though...

Thoughts?
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I dunno..to me the Lightning doesn't loook like it has much of a squat at all compared to ICE...

I think this is due to the fact is carrying so much weight(even with no load) due to the batteries. Also, unlike the ICE truck the weight is between the front/rear axles and not over the front axle. As the prior owner of some 1980s era pickups, this should allow it to handle better than any ICE truck out there. I had to get rid of my '85 f150 2wd when I moved to snow country as it had NO traction in bad weather..even with a300lb load in the back(cinder blocks) and good tires. I anticipate the Lightning handling the snow very well.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Would be good to get a comparison with an equivalent ICE truck. Weight distribution on the F150L is close to 50:50. There's rake to account for a load in the bed just like any other truck. When loaded it will level out. Otherwise you'd run out of suspension travel.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
That rake is also to improve aerodynamics.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
At least it is sloped the correct way :)

It should be easily adjusted to personal taste with aftermarket parts. Personally I can't tell from the driver's seat...

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Yeah, this looks especially bad for some reason. Are we sure it isn't braking in this picture?

I mean, gas F-150s have a lot of rake, too, but this seems like more. Maybe it's an optical illusion. Maybe because it's taken from a relatively low angle? I think you're right about the battery and such being visible making it seem worse, too.

It definitely *looks* worse than this, though, a truck at a local dealer:

Ford F-150 Lightning Angles... 83e0b0725168f45a9ebd2cdfe4624624

OP
OP

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy Engineer
It seems every Lightning I've seen a photo of has a taller rear-end. There's a bigger gap in the wheel well.

Here's one from earlier on - the Denver registration holder event, courtesy of member @Linuturk https://www.onitato.com/post/f150-lightning-event-denver-co/

Ford F-150 Lightning Angles... PXL_20210920_223706462

Options to fix this aftermarket would be to lift the front or put on bigger tires... both of which would hurt your range. I don't see how the back end sitting up high would give better aerodynamics... wouldn't perfectly level give the best aero? Idanno, I'm not that kind of engineer.

It bugs me. I can't think of a suitable meme to respond to this with... it's kind of a meme of it's own sticking it's butt up in the air all the time.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Yeah, I'm not sure leveling it would hurt aero much, if at all... but that's not my wheelhouse, either. Technically, it would slightly decrease frontal area, but maybe the rake improves coefficient of drag more than rake increases frontal area?

Is it possible the overall diameter of the Lightning's tire is smaller? The gap between tire and body seems smaller even on the left and right of the front tire on the gas truck I posted vs the Lightning you just posted, but it's so hard to tell for sure with different lighting and such.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yeah, I'm not sure leveling it would hurt aero much, if at all... but that's not my wheelhouse, either. Technically, it would slightly decrease frontal area, but maybe the rake improves coefficient of drag more than rake increases frontal area?

Is it possible the overall diameter of the Lightning's tire is smaller? The gap between tire and body seems smaller even on the left and right of the front tire on the gas truck I posted vs the Lightning you just posted, but it's so hard to tell for sure with different lighting and such.
If you lowered the rear it would be OK, but if you leveled by raising the front (as most do) it would be more drag since the area under the truck effectively counts as frontal area

OP
OP

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy Engineer
Of course it's level in the AR app... Is this raised rear potentially for a payload package or something? Or we're being duped by marketing. They already alter other stuff like make the tires look bigger, etc, so I wouldn't be surprised by this.

Ford F-150 Lightning Angles... Screenshot_20211202-191117_Google

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Of course it's level in the AR app... Is this raised rear potentially for a payload package or something? Or we're being duped by marketing. They already alter other stuff like make the tires look bigger, etc, so I wouldn't be surprised by this.

Screenshot_20211202-191117_Google.jpg
The AR app is with the famous 1,000 lb of payload in the bed ?

OP
OP

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy Engineer
I'm seeing images both ways... Some with the butt up in the air and some with a more normal rake. I'm not sure when this first picture was taken, looks like the reveal event from last spring? That one has a high rear end. The second one has a description and is more recent, and has a more "normal" body angle.

Ford F-150 Lightning Angles... Screenshot_20211204-122404_Chrome

Ford F-150 Lightning Angles... Screenshot_20211204-122319_Chrome
Sponsored