Sponsored

Amp Research power running boards open randomly?

CoCamper

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB
Occupation
Engineer
I have '21 PB. Had Amp Research power running boards installed. Around town, low speed, I have no issues, power side steps only open when doors open. However, at highway speed, the power side steps open and close randomly. Sometimes they open, stay open a while, then close. both sides independently. other times they jack hammer open and close real fast. One note, lights and door ajar notification DO NOT come on, so it's not like the truck thinks the door is open, which is the usual trigger for the steps to deploy.

I also have the trailer brake module fault issue. So between the two, highway driving is a real circus, side steps opening and closing and dashboard lighting up with trailer brake module fault every 5-7 minutes. :ROFLMAO:

Any suggestions on how do to debug the steps?
Sponsored

OP
OP

CoCamper

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB
Occupation
Engineer
Posting resolution for anyone who has this or similar issue:

Turns out my Trailer Brake Module (under dashboard above dead pedal area) was bad. It was bad in such a way that when temperature changed quickly, or when temp was really hot, it would spew noise into the CAN bus and cause ALL modules to reboot. It was also causing side steps to randomly open/close on their own.

After disconnecting the 2 plugs on the Trailer Break Module, the issue has not reproduced since.

I then purchased a new module, plugged it in, and again, issue has not reproduced since.

So, fingers crossed the issue is just gone for good now.
Sponsored