First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I didn't have any issues with my install...Are you all trying to install the 2 x 15mm bolts into the support bracket? only 1 goes through that support bracket, the 2nd bolt is just next to it..

I can get a photo this afternoon...

1647441011276.png
Ford F-150 AMP Research BedStep Installation 80671748-6BCE-46F4-BA8F-C99D9B1D505C
Sponsored

CoolMaster

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
Occupation
HVAC Contractor
That's bad news. Goes to show one person can have a good outcome and another can end up in the mess you've been given. "You can never step into the same river twice."

I think @PungoteagueDave wrote up a good how-to, so I think we know it's a good product, just a matter of this bad service in your case.
Any chance you can post a photo of what they think is a "modification" of the product you received? Seems to me to be an implausible response from the manufacturer in terms of supporting a new product installation. Even if they could somehow prove you modified it or that they didn't send you a faulty unit or perhaps a returned unit from another customer, the product itself costs them "nothing" so they could just ask you to send it back (even if you have to pay the freight) and then they send you another unit and pay careful attention to be sure they send you a defect-free unit. Far, far better to solve your problem than have an unhappy customer post for a few thousand people to get a negative opinion.

I mention all this in part because the bed-step is on my list of things worth doing (even though I think the price is high, I can accept that to some extent as being a small production company and "Made in the USA" goes a long way with me.) I've also bought their powerstep product about 10+ years ago and it put up with a ton of hard work and off-road, and I want a way to reach into the back corner of the truck without dropping the tailgate (and the tailgate step doesn't work with a trailer hitched.)
Other than trying their support again and maybe reaching a different person, the only solution I can offer would be if there's a local dealer nearby to take the truck and the unit to them to see (a) you didn't "modify" anything and (b) they can probably on the spot give you what solution/tip/trick needed to get it installed (which I'll also probably need once you figure out what's wrong.)
Good luck.
Yes that is exactly the mistake I was making. Since that support bracket had 2 holes I figured it needed to be filled! And what about the 5 holes in the base??? Very confusing and yes left out a few details that could easily be fixed. Like giving each hole a letter or #. And how bout short video showing the operation.

CoolMaster

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
Occupation
HVAC Contractor
I finally made a call to tech support and got a guy in a few min. He explained what 12Lariat21 said above. I took some pics with in on the tailgate. Sure hope AMP takes a few min to fix the instructions and make a video.

Ford F-150 AMP Research BedStep Installation PXL_20220316_213037110

Ford F-150 AMP Research BedStep Installation PXL_20220316_213601525

Ford F-150 AMP Research BedStep Installation PXL_20220316_213608524

Ford F-150 AMP Research BedStep Installation PXL_20220316_213621202

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Yes that is exactly the mistake I was making. Since that support bracket had 2 holes I figured it needed to be filled! And what about the 5 holes in the base??? Very confusing and yes left out a few details that could easily be fixed. Like giving each hole a letter or #. And how bout short video showing the operation.
Yep. I used to work for IBM on a project that designed systems (for enterprise and corporate global installations) to make sure there was no risk of confusion … in this case, we would have designed overlays for each vehicle fitment to make it a "no brainer" to install. Of course, we were working with expensive computer systems, not single part DIY installs, but the principles are the same: emphasis on "documentation and iteration" so that early adopter users can say "cool product, not easy to install" and after a few iterations, the users will report "cool product, a breeze to install" and the only difference is documentation and maybe an overlay or template or an IKEA-like infographic.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I finally made a call to tech support and got a guy in a few min. He explained what 12Lariat21 said above. I took some pics with in on the tailgate. Sure hope AMP takes a few min to fix the instructions and make a video.

PXL_20220316_213037110.jpg

PXL_20220316_213601525.jpg

PXL_20220316_213608524.jpg

PXL_20220316_213621202.jpg
I think AMP needs to go to Munro and ask them to fix this so it's lighter, simpler, smaller, fewer parts and fits first time to any Ford/GM/Chrysler/Toyota/Nissan with zero grief … sell it on Amazon (or whatever) and fabricate the whole product in a USA factory.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PungoteagueDave

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
It is a really good part, tough to design given the amount of weight it must support and the awkward angle that it juts out to be useful. But they definitely need to fix the instructions - took me a couple tries - too many holes, bad pictures, no video. It all comes clear when you do get it right, but it is super non-intuitive.

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB Mid Front Bench, 2013 E350 4x4
Wow- one of the most frustrating things I've done this year. installing in the order prescribed in their instructions meant there was no way to line-up the holes to get the assembly back onto the frame/bumper bolts. The pieces just aren't aligned without some torsion of aluminum in multiple dimensions.

If anyone else encounters that problem, I solved it by removing every bolt, and starting over with step one being to put the two main assembly halves onto the two 24mm bumper bolts. ... then assemble the whole thing in place, i.e. lots of time, grunting and doing things by-feel.

Also couldn't find a thin enough 24mm deep socket to get inside the access hole they made, so just used a regular short socket and extension. Argh. Very frustrating-- hope the chorus of positives about the product make this install a distant memory.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Wow- one of the most frustrating things I've done this year. installing in the order prescribed in their instructions meant there was no way to line-up the holes to get the assembly back onto the frame/bumper bolts. The pieces just aren't aligned without some torsion of aluminum in multiple dimensions.

If anyone else encounters that problem, I solved it by removing every bolt, and starting over with step one being to put the two main assembly halves onto the two 24mm bumper bolts. ... then assemble the whole thing in place, i.e. lots of time, grunting and doing things by-feel.

Also couldn't find a thin enough 24mm deep socket to get inside the access hole they made, so just used a regular short socket and extension. Argh. Very frustrating-- hope the chorus of positives about the product make this install a distant memory.
Yep. Another example of someone incompetent in a job titled "product management" … that dufus is meant to make installation simple, make the video, publish the faq, answer questions posted to [email protected] … mate, you don't know how to do your job … read this thread and catch up … nothing personal, just get the job done.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Ford F-150 AMP Research BedStep Installation ThreadNecro

2023 and still can't fit an impact 6 point socket into the hole on bracket.

I'm not a fan of applying high torque to 12 points but it did the job.

First impressions I find this easier to use and in better location than the tailgate step I had for over a decade on my old truck.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
$260 seems about twice what I'd expect … and 3 months lead time … they don't manufacture for inventory?
1627355309690.png
Wish it was still $260. This thing is $309 now. I was going to order one, but I think I'll skip it at that price.

Sponsored

KEVINL

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Stinger
Do not order any of these aftermarket steps if you have dual exhausts. Found this out the hard way!

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Do not order any of these aftermarket steps if you have dual exhausts. Found this out the hard way!
Clearly states on website not for use with dual exhaust.
Hope you find a solution that works for you.

KEVINL

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Stinger
Clearly states on website not for use with dual exhaust.
Hope you find a solution that works for you.
It does for the AMP but the same is not true for the Trekstep which is the one I purchased and just went through an RMA for.

Sadly, I don't think there's an alternative for the dual exhaust trucks. If anyone finds one, I'm all eyes and ears ;)

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I used one of these on my 2011 Chevy pickup and it was much better than nothing at all. Problem was seeing it when stepping down from the tailgate.

The Ford tailgate step and extending post is far superior in every respect. It added $695 with the bed utility package but I consider this a great value. It is also a third the cost of the comparable bed steps provided with Ram 1500 trucks with the needed extras that must also be added.

What I cannot understand is why withth the excellent Ford design that none of the other pickup makers bother to provide anything comparable. The worst is the new Toyota Tundra where there is no step of any kind provided and the body work makes any solution problematic.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Must not have extended out very far on that model. I have no issues seeing it stepping down from tailgate. I consider this superior to the step I had for 12 years.
Sponsored