• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ambient Lighting

DrZoidberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Eternal Vestibule
Does anyone have a brochure source or could point to more info on it? My 21 Lariat F150 has the light in the bins and the cupholders but heard that went away for the 22's. Does that include on Lighting too ?
Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I just happened to see this earlier today under "Lariat Series" in the order guide and was surprised.

Page 9 of the 02/01/22 Lightning Order Guide:

● Ambient Lighting – Ice Blue Color Only

OP
OP

DrZoidberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I literally just saw that too lol. I'm just hoping for more detailed aspects of what the lighting is. I thought I saw some YT videos that had it but couldn't quite tell.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
We are waiting to see on the Lightning. The demos that have been running around for months and caught in videos that I've found have had the lighting in the cupholders, so that has been encouraging. Who knows when those trucks were built however.

It is true about the cupholders and bins being dropped on the '22's - those guys have threads about how to purchase the parts and add it back.

I'm hoping the Lightning has been spared, but until they hit the lots off of the real production line I don't think we'll know. My gut says Ford is cannibalizing the ICE and other models and we are going to be spared with the Lightning. They don't want any bad press, they want nothing but praise and how it has all the details.

In the order guides I've seen, they say nothing more than ambient lighting for either model. They don't detail each location it exists in. This lets them alter and add/remove at will.

OP
OP

DrZoidberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We are waiting to see on the Lightning. The demos that have been running around for months and caught in videos that I've found have had the lighting in the cupholders, so that has been encouraging. Who knows when those trucks were built however.

It is true about the cupholders and bins being dropped on the '22's - those guys have threads about how to purchase the parts and add it back.

I'm hoping the Lightning has been spared, but until they hit the lots off of the real production line I don't think we'll know. My gut says Ford is cannibalizing the ICE and other models and we are going to be spared with the Lightning. They don't want any bad press, they want nothing but praise and how it has all the details.

In the order guides I've seen, they say nothing more than ambient lighting for either model. They don't detail each location it exists in. This lets them alter and add/remove at will.
Luckily mine hahah been scheduled so I’ll get a lot of time seeing reviews and posts on delivered units before mine drops.

just hoping maybe an inside folk at ford could drop some hint

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I guess we can hope that the color of the ambient lighting itself is an unchanging "Ice Blue Color" only"? ;)

OP
OP

DrZoidberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is that the color that's in the current generation of F150's ? Ice blue?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Don't hold me to this, but I don't think even the 2021's changed colors and for sure the 2022's that have it do not.

OP
OP

DrZoidberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Don't hold me to this, but I don't think even the 2021's changed colors and for sure the 2022's that have it do not.
It doesn't . My 2021 Lariat is just one color but I thought it was just white light . Might have to ask the wife if it has blue to it.

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Last night on the Ford Live stream, Erroll and the Ford Social Media Team said all Lightning Lariats have ambient lighting.
(FWIW :sneaky:)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
That is a shame - Ford has been moving backwards on this and, while minor, it is a fun feature!. My 2011 GT500 let me pick from a huge range of colors and even select different ones for different areas (dashboard, dashboard surround, footwell, etc.). It even had an "america" red, white, and blue mode. My 2017 Raptor is limited to a single color everywhere, but you get to pick from a menu of colors. Now it sounds like they are going to either no light or only a single color.

this is a ~$20 to ~$50 part. Seems a weird place to cheap out unless it is just due to shortages.

Reactions: GDN

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
That is a shame - Ford has been moving backwards on this and, while minor, it is a fun feature!. My 2011 GT500 let me pick from a huge range of colors and even select different ones for different areas (dashboard, dashboard surround, footwell, etc.). It even had an "america" red, white, and blue mode. My 2017 Raptor is limited to a single color everywhere, but you get to pick from a menu of colors. Now it sounds like they are going to either no light or only a single color.

this is a ~$20 to ~$50 part. Seems a weird place to cheap out unless it is just due to shortages.
It probably isn't a part cost problem, more of a research information problem. Studies have shown that red light is good at putting you to sleep and blue light is good for keeping you awake. I remember my B-52 Weapons System Operator buddy talking about this 15+ years ago. Now you can buy sleep devices that will display red light at night and blue light in the morning.

It's also the reason why you should not have a TV in your bedroom...they produce loads of blue light, but modern TVs can be set to limit blue light.

Last edited:
OP
OP

DrZoidberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Found some more videos it looks like lightning lariat is getting same treatment as the others with no bin light, no cupholder light and no glove box light. The platinum trims I've seen have had all 3. I guess I'll have to add these using some other threads in this forum.
Sponsored