Sponsored

Am I going to regret the 26-gallon tank?

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
He asked a year and a half ago...it's possible he has the truck by now.
Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
It's because Canadian beer is heavier. The truck needs to haul more payload, thereby reducing the range of the 26 gallon tank below what is acceptable to the average beer drinking truck owner. Of course Canadian Rye drinkers do not suffer the same payload penalty vs their bourbon drinking American allies as these liquids have similar mass, but the whiskey drinkers reap the benefits of the standard larger tank nonetheless. Now you know. You're welcome.
canadian payload specifically:

1 moose (1400 lb)
30 cases of beer (600 lb)

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
It's really not a big deal. My 26 gallon tank will take 23 gallons on 0, so 3 gallon "reserve". I hear the 36 takes 30.

I had the 36 gallon in my last truck and filling it was painful but not very frequent. I can't imagine lasting longer than 400 miles without wanting food or a toilet. Same goes for the 200-230 while towing. It's one of those options few need, a lot think they need

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
It's really not a big deal. My 26 gallon tank will take 23 gallons on 0, so 3 gallon "reserve". I hear the 36 takes 30.

I had the 36 gallon in my last truck and filling it was painful but not very frequent. I can't imagine lasting longer than 400 miles without wanting food or a toilet. Same goes for the 200-230 while towing. It's one of those options few need, a lot think they need
I just filled up my 36 gallon tank at 9 miles to E and put in 32.3 gallons

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
The closest I've gotten my PB to empty, with it's 30.6 gallon tank, is 1.806 gallons. I put in 28.794 gallons. Don't remember exactly how many mile to empty the warning chime said, but it was within the second warning which is either 35 or 25 miles to empty.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems

True but it's one less thing to worry about. My wife and our little dogs need to stop more frequently than my PB, so that opens up our choices as to where we stop. I rarely need fuel so we can look for more interesting spots. I love the freedom.

gregs150xlt

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XLT
Mine came with the 36-gallon tank (option).

Heck, it really DOES give you an extended range of driving. But I don't like the price tag of filling back up.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Scab XLT 2.7EB 2wd
Occupation
Retired
My $0.02 (on a 2 yr. old post):
  • I tow infrequently; if I towed a lot, it’s a good value-for-money option. When you drop $50k or more on a new truck, that $445 for a 36 gal. (less than 1% of MSRP) is worth it.
  • If you live on the Gulf Coast/East Coast, you’re in hurricane country. For those unfortunate enough to have made one or more hurricane evac runs on very congested highways or secondary roads, with or without pulling a trailer/boat/etc, you know how important those extra gallons might be.
If someone’s going the Ford build-to-order route, it’s a no-brainer for me (unless you want a reg. cab short bed in which case you’re out of luck). If you’re buying a Ford off the lot, much more difficult finding not only a truck optioned the way you want it but also with a 36 gal. tank. If you’re getting a new Silverado/Sierra then it’s a moot point (you’ll have something less than 36 gal.).

Retrofitting one on a F150 can be a PITA but people do it.

AHenry014

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302A
After having the 36gal tank in my '13 EB truck, I thought for sure I couldn't be without it. I passed up a couple trucks when I was hunting for a leftover '22 2.7 truck because it didn't have the extended range tank, ultimately "settling" for the 26gal tank. Honestly, I don't even think about the missing 10 gallons due to the fantastic fuel economy of this truck. My '13 truck got 14-16mpg and my '22 regularly gets 22-24mpg. My commute is ~50mi/day alone, plus weekend driving. I tend to fill up right around every 2 weeks.

We'll see how I feel when we finally get our travel trailer and start towing it places. Until then, I am happy.

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Easy solution to tank envy:

Wavian Fuel Cans | The Finest Steel Jerry Cans In The World (wavianusa.com)

Even with the 30.6 gallon tank in my Powerboost, I take one or two jerry cans of fuel with me on long trips. Helpful for when there are no convenient fuel stations or for when using the ProPower system for extended periods while camping. These are high quality fuel cans.

Sponsored

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat FX4 2022 Bronco Badlands
Occupation
Retired FDNY
Wait till the next gas shortage or power failure. You'll love the 36 gallon tank. LOL

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Hello! New to this forum. I ordered a 21 F-150 XLT, Supercrew 5.5 foot bed a couple weeks ago with the 3.5L Ecoboost. Got the 302A, FX4, and Trailer Tow (not the max) packages. Expecting delivery sometime in the Fall.

I went with the standard 26-gallon tank when ordering, I didn't think much of it at the time. Almost $500 for 10 gallons more and I am not towing everyday, so just passed on it. However, after watching some youtube reviews and knowing my driving style I will probably end up getting 15-17 MPG and not the 20+ you see on the EPA sticker. It dawned on me the range may be less than what I thought.

I don't put a lot of miles on my vehicles, and I am maybe towing something 2 to 5 times per year and max 200 miles one way. For reference, my current car I bought in 2018 and put 10,000 miles on it. I've been working from home for the last 5 years and live in a rural area where we do that once a week run to the store or whatever. Just not a lot of reasons to drive around everyday, thus low mileage.

So a few questions:
1. Am I going to regret not getting the 36-gallon tank?
2. Is it a hassle to change an order after it's been placed?
3. Is it something that's reasonable for a dealer or mechanic to swap-out in the future if I want to upgrade?

Something a friend mentioned to me since I won't be putting a lot of miles on the truck, having the smaller fuel tank will cycle the fuel out more. Especially during the winter months where I really don't leave the house unless absolutely needed. Maybe that doesn't even matter and I could also just not fill it up all the way.
Can you add it now?

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Ford F-150 Am I going to regret the 26-gallon tank? IMG_2292

That’s some Shell V-Power Nitro+ going in my 30.2 gallon tank. 😎
Serves no point to post that other than to say more fuel carrying capacity is better for doing truck things just in case.
Sponsored