First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
Those all look good. I’m back to leaning towards the Adarac. I need to do a few measurements but I’m keen to see if I can build a short-leg rack that will carry a large ski box UNDER kayaks/SUP’s, giving us more volume (and only needed for larger trips).
My hesitancy for a canopy/rack is mostly cost ($4k and up from one dealer) and weight/effect on payload (which will become a concern when towing with family).
Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
For 50+ years I have put camper shells on my trucks. It doubles the load I can carry and protects what is inside from rain and snow and thieves. I have never had anything stolen from the beds of my trucks.

I attach rack adapters that are bolted to the sides of the shell and then use standard Thule cross bars and attachments. I got the 6.5 foot bed so our road bikes can fit inside with their wheels left on. Bottom picture shows the Thule rack adapters in place on the sides near the top of the shell.

Ford F-150 Alternative “carrying capacity” options to Canopy topper Snugtop Camper.JPG
Ford F-150 Alternative “carrying capacity” options to Canopy topper D751614-web
Ford F-150 Alternative “carrying capacity” options to Canopy topper Thule Cross Bar Adapters

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
I looked at the Softopper quite closely but the company said it’s incompatible; it looks like the stake pockets are partially if not fully covered. BillieBar mounts looks compatible but they’re too short (unless I manufacture taller towers myself).

Some outlander companies sell racks that go over soft toppers and other large ladder racks go around topper also - all would work. But they do NOT look easy to remove either!

I haven't done it on my f150, but I did run an adarac with a softopper on my previous Colorado, despite the company saying it wouldn't work.. I did have to move the softopper rails slightly inboard of the stake pockets, which pushed the mounting pins for the softopper frame inboard as well, making it more difficult to take the top off and on, but it was possible with a gentle bowing of the top frame tubing .. I was planning on replacing the stepped bracket that holds the mounting pins for the folding upper frame with a more direct drop bracket that would have solved the issue, but I rolled the truck, and replaced it with the f150..

I now have an adarac with a hard roll top tonneau, and they fit fine side by side on the bed rail of the F150

Ford F-150 Alternative “carrying capacity” options to Canopy topper softopper-adarac1

Ford F-150 Alternative “carrying capacity” options to Canopy topper softopper-adarac-flex

Ford F-150 Alternative “carrying capacity” options to Canopy topper softopper-adarac-rolled

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
For 50+ years I have put camper shells on my trucks. It doubles the load I can carry and protects what is inside from rain and snow and thieves. I have never had anything stolen from the beds of my trucks.

I attach rack adapters that are bolted to the sides of the shell and then use standard Thule cross bars and attachments. I got the 6.5 foot bed so our road bikes can fit inside with their wheels left on. Bottom picture shows the Thule rack adapters in place on the sides near the top of the shell.

Snugtop Camper.JPG
D751614-web.jpg
Thule Cross Bar Adapters.jpg
That’s a nice one! I’d agree canopies are super useful, they’re just not the best solution for me (at least, not at their price point since I know I only need that volume a few times a year).

What I’m also finding is I use the tailgate pad/mtn bikes twice a week; I know a canopy won’t interfere with 1 bike but 2-3 become nearly impossible.

Reactions: 780
OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I haven't done it on my f150, but I did run an adarac with a softopper on my previous Colorado, despite the company saying it wouldn't work.. I did have to move the softopper rails slightly inboard of the stake pockets, which pushed the mounting pins for the softopper frame inboard as well, making it more difficult to take the top off and on, but it was possible with a gentle bowing of the top frame tubing .. I was planning on replacing the stepped bracket that holds the mounting pins for the folding upper frame with a more direct drop bracket that would have solved the issue, but I rolled the truck, and replaced it with the f150..

I now have an adarac with a hard roll top tonneau, and they fit fine side by side on the bed rail of the F150

softopper-adarac1.jpg

softopper-adarac-flex.jpg

softopper-adarac-rolled.jpg
This is exactly what I was HOPING to do! They told me the same thing, so I’ve been hoping to get measurements or pictures to see what’s possible. That’s great it worked for you and gives me hope it might for the f150 too.

With the Softopper mounting rails moved inboard, was there any water intrusion? Any difficulty (do you recall) sealing the forward or rear flaps?

I was hoping a Softopper would be a good solution: lightweight, more easily removable/storable, cheaper, and only a few times would I need the rack and topper, I believe.
(and when I price out a second set of racks compatible with truxedo or Adarac plus a cargo box, it’s not much cheaper…)

Sponsored

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
I did get some water intrusion at the corners, and dust intrusion as well; more dust than water, but it was common to see a small amount of water in the corners... If I was concerned about keeping things clean and dry and I was venturing into the dirt, I would just put everything into plastic totes or dry bags. Right before I wrecked it, i put a bedrug in which helped, as it kept things off the sheetmetal.

The dust intrusion was partially due to the fact that I lost the bar that kept the back closed.. I didn't put the screw through the material to hold it in place, and then forgot to snap the bar into its plastic holder and it slid out of the topper along a trail, allowing it to flap open and closed about 4-5 inches when driving fast enough to get a wind around it

Last edited:
OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I did get some water intrusion at the corners, and dust intrusion as well; more dust than water, but it was common to see a small amount of water in the corners... If I was concerned about keeping things clean and dry and I was venturing into the dirt, I would just put everything into plastic totes or dry bags. Right before I wrecked it, i put a bedrug in which helped, as it kept things off the sheetmetal.

The dust intrusion was partially due to the fact that I lost the bar that kept the back closed.. I didn't put the screw through the material to hold it in place, and then forgot to snap the bar into its plastic holder and it slid out of the topper along a trail, allowing it to flap open and closed about 4-5 inches when driving fast enough to get a wind around it
Good to know! Bummer the truck rolled, hopefully everyone was ok.

I found this video while looking at Softopper installation vids. This guy did a very similar setup but had the older Adarac rail vs the t-slot rails. It looked like he had quite a bit of room to adjust/install the rack. He also had mad welding/machinist skills so hopefully that’s not necessary!

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
And I just watched a Softopper install vs Agricover Outlander soft cover install. The Outlander looks super nice but it looks like it’d be much harder to attempt the install (accessing the side window bottom slot in particular, and the front window rod/slot looks like it’d limit how narrow you could make the whole setup, tho hard to confirm).
The older Adarac rails (with drilled holes vs t-slot) also seem like they give a bit more room.
I think this will be the ultimate setup (for me)…now for some courage and funds to pull some triggers, haha!
Sponsored