First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
Now that I have a tonneau cover, the next mission begins: racks and extra volume for larger trips.

I recognize that a topper with rack above will solve this. But …I just have a mental block about having a topper on ALL THE TIME. I foresee I would use the rack (for paddleboards) weekly when the weather is good but the topper will make carrying mtn bikes more cumbersome and takes away some visibility. And it just FEELS bigger (even tho the footprint of the truck is the same of course!).

If I had unlimited funds, I’d just get a topper with cross bars and put it on for the 2-3 times i need that volume (family trips). But I don’t…hence my question to you all!

What are some options to add extra (covered and removeable) volume to the truck?

My initial thought is to get a rack option (like Adarac) that has multiple height bars: taller bars hold the paddleboards, shorter ones hold a large ski box or similar. Any other ideas?
Sponsored

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150, 2023 Audi Etron Quattro
Occupation
Doer of stuff and things.
I am currently in a similar situation: increasing covered/secured cubic volume for family camping trips. I am currently eying the roof of my truck and considering the clamp on Yakima mounts/crossbars. That way I retain unencumbered access to the bed while still increasing capacity in an out of the way location. I have a Thule cargo box I would mount to the cab roof to store lighter/bulkier items like sleeping gear. I could also use the cab roof cross bars to mount something like the Thule Hullevator to allow for raising a kayak, etc from the side of the truck .

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I am currently in a similar situation: increasing covered/secured cubic volume for family camping trips. I am currently eying the roof of my truck and considering the clamp on Yakima mounts/crossbars. That way I retain unencumbered access to the bed while still increasing capacity in an out of the way location. I have a Thule cargo box I would mount to the cab roof to store lighter/bulkier items like sleeping gear. I could also use the cab roof cross bars to mount something like the Thule Hullevator to allow for raising a kayak, etc from the side of the truck .
Your truck roof is limited to 165 lbs. Hullavators are heavy, but are very handy. We had 2 units on the roof of my Volvo wagon, but it was rated to carry 220 lbs. With 2 kayaks, 2 hullavators and the roof racks themselves, we were pushing 200lbs. I would lean more towards an Adarack unit for the bed and try to mount the hullavator units to it. Good luck.

RuggedGoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT 157" 302a
I don't have an F150 yet but went through some of this thought experiment on my 2500hd. The 6.5' bed holds a lot of gear, but it's nice to get the tonneau closed which limits things a lot. I bought the adarac aluminum series rack for slinging kayaks up on top - still learning how to best strap those down; almost had a yard sale on I-75 this past summer lol. But the shorty bars plus a cargo carrier would also be a neat solution. I hope the adarac mounting rails will transfer over to my new f150 bed; don't see why not.

Does anyone ever run a hitch rack for a few totes or coolers of storage?

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Now that I have a tonneau cover, the next mission begins: racks and extra volume for larger trips.

I recognize that a topper with rack above will solve this. But …I just have a mental block about having a topper on ALL THE TIME. I foresee I would use the rack (for paddleboards) weekly when the weather is good but the topper will make carrying mtn bikes more cumbersome and takes away some visibility. And it just FEELS bigger (even tho the footprint of the truck is the same of course!).

If I had unlimited funds, I’d just get a topper with cross bars and put it on for the 2-3 times i need that volume (family trips). But I don’t…hence my question to you all!

What are some options to add extra (covered and removeable) volume to the truck?

My initial thought is to get a rack option (like Adarac) that has multiple height bars: taller bars hold the paddleboards, shorter ones hold a large ski box or similar. Any other ideas?
I haven't tried it, but I suspect that you could use something like an Adarac system in tandem with something like a Softopper or Bestop Supertop if you want a rack system and more covered volume. It wouldn't be a secure storage area, but at least it could be removed and stored relatively easily, unlike a hard topper.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I haven't tried it, but I suspect that you could use something like an Adarac system in tandem with something like a Softopper or Bestop Supertop if you want a rack system and more covered volume. It wouldn't be a secure storage area, but at least it could be removed and stored relatively easily, unlike a hard topper.
I looked at the Softopper quite closely but the company said it’s incompatible; it looks like the stake pockets are partially if not fully covered. BillieBar mounts looks compatible but they’re too short (unless I manufacture taller towers myself).

Some outlander companies sell racks that go over soft toppers and other large ladder racks go around topper also - all would work. But they do NOT look easy to remove either!

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I did inquire to RazorTop who thought their system was compatible with stake pocket racks. They offered to forward their installation instructions so illl take a look. It’s a clever system but…not exactly cheap. Cheaper than a fibreglass topper with a rack added but not by much.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Another one here suggesting Adarac. This is what I would like to get to haul Kayaks.

This is the only rack system I've been able to find that is compatible with the Ford OEM hard folding box cover.

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Another one here suggesting Adarac. This is what I would like to get to haul Kayaks.

This is the only rack system I've been able to find that is compatible with the Ford OEM hard folding box cover.
Thanks! I like what I see with the Adarac - seems to be one system that allows lengthwise adjustment and 2 different height racks (not adjustable but that’s ok). I wish the shorter rack was even shorter.

One reason I’m not looking at some other sliding rack systems (like RackTrax I think or Thule) is that my driveway is under a bunch of Douglas Firs who drop a LOT of needles and pollen. It’s something I have to keep an eye on for vehicle drains, and I know any track that’s exposed will get clogged (or need some tape to cover, which I don’t think would look or function well).

Reactions: 780

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks! I like what I see with the Adarac - seems to be one system that allows lengthwise adjustment and 2 different height racks (not adjustable but that’s ok). I wish the shorter rack was even shorter.

One reason I’m not looking at some other sliding rack systems (like RackTrax I think or Thule) is that my driveway is under a bunch of Douglas Firs who drop a LOT of needles and pollen. It’s something I have to keep an eye on for vehicle drains, and I know any track that’s exposed will get clogged (or need some tape to cover, which I don’t think would look or function well).
Good point! For me, I don't think I would use the lower setting. I think I'd need the taller ones for the kayaks to clear the cab and I wouldn't want overhang since I tow a holiday trailer.

Sponsored

somecatchyphrase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150, 2023 Audi Etron Quattro
Occupation
Doer of stuff and things.
Your truck roof is limited to 165 lbs. Hullavators are heavy, but are very handy. We had 2 units on the roof of my Volvo wagon, but it was rated to carry 220 lbs. With 2 kayaks, 2 hullavators and the roof racks themselves, we were pushing 200lbs. I would lean more towards an Adarack unit for the bed and try to mount the hullavator units to it. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. I had not gone deep enough yet into research to get the roof weight limit. Kinda surprised how low it is...

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the info. I had not gone deep enough yet into research to get the roof weight limit. Kinda surprised how low it is...
I think it has more to do with the design of the roof. Pretty much all vehicles are built without roof rails and the only thing the roof rack can grip are the drip rail area. If you could spec a raised roof rail that the rack could clamp to, then the load limit would be higher. Coming from my Volvo wagon with a 220 lb roof limit, I was very surprised how little we could put on the roof of our trucks.

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I did inquire to RazorTop who thought their system was compatible with stake pocket racks. They offered to forward their installation instructions so illl take a look. It’s a clever system but…not exactly cheap. Cheaper than a fibreglass topper with a rack added but not by much.
For anyone curious, RazorTop was very responsive/helpful when I asked and gave me access to their installation instructions.

It IS a clever system but I concluded it was just TOO close to overlap with the stake pockets and the mounting system didn't appear compatible with something like Truxedo's t-slot rail either. I didn't see any reviews online either; I would like to see someone use it IRL.

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Good point! For me, I don't think I would use the lower setting. I think I'd need the taller ones for the kayaks to clear the cab and I wouldn't want overhang since I tow a holiday trailer.
One thing that looked promising is Thule sells an attachment for their crossbars that overhangs the cab a bit. They call it "Cantilever Extension". Like everything Thule, it ain't cheap ($500 US). But it looks like it'd allow longer kayaks/SUPs to safely rest much further forward.

I was also thinking a single roof rack (F150's seem to only accept ones that tie-in to the door frame) would allow the kayak/SUP to rest on the cab. I'd read somewhere else that the roof weight limit is very low (or not recommended any load?) but I can't imagine 2 kayaks placing much more than 50-75lbs on the roof (plus the rack itself, which is probably 10-15lbs).

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles