All Terrain Tires for your Powerboost

smyph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Stuff and thing
Apologies if this has been answered, what's the largest 18in tires that will fit on stock f150 with no rub?
Sponsored

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
Ok... first off, I take full responsibility for my initial decision to go with the tires I did when I bought my truck. I fell for the classic sales pitch "Yeah... those stock tires look fine enough... BUT, if you're spending THAT much money on a truck, don't you want it to stand out?!" So, I had it leveled (which I like) and threw some LT285/65R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on there. I will admit, the truck looks great! But, one of the main reasons I bought the powerboost was for the gas mileage, I had no idea that those tires were going to kill my gas mileage to the tune of about -9 MPG! I honestly don't think the salesman was trying to oversell me; I don't think he had sold many PowerBoosts, so he didn't realize the impact of the tires.

When I mentioned something to the service manager, he looked at me like I was an idiot. (I'm a first time truck owner... so, I guess he was right.) He just said, "Look at those tires! They are big, sticky and each one weighs 20 pounds more than the stock tires! Of course it killed your gas mileage."

So... I am seriously considering getting rid of these Nitto's (they only have 3K miles on them) and replacing them with a lighter, more fuel efficient tire. I like the agressive look of 285/65's on there, but if I can't find something that'll at least get me above 20 MPG, I'd be willing to go back down to 275/60. I drive some in the Tahoe snow, but don't tow or haul much at all.

I looked at these based on chatter around the site and in this thread:
(all are LT285/65)
  • Cooper Discovery AT3 XLT - 65 lbs (heavier than the Nittos!)
  • BF Goodrich KO2's - 61 lbs
  • Firestone X/T - 53 lbs
So, the only one that is substantially lighter is the Firestone, and they are still 11 lbs heavier than the stock Hankook's.

Once again, I ask for the collective wisdom of my brethren on f150gen14 to help me make this life changing decision. (Yes... I was poking fun at my first world problem)

After reading through this whole tread, several times... I still have no clue. ?
Is there significant difference in the look of 275/65, 275/60 and the 285/65's that I have?

With the stock tires:
Ford F-150 All Terrain Tires for your Powerboost 1641852835167

With the Nitto Ridge Grapplers... (and 2" level)...
Ford F-150 All Terrain Tires for your Powerboost 1641852854796

Last edited:

Hebed118

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport PB 4x4
If mileage is a concern (sounds like it is) then I’d stick with a 275/60R20 in a Non-LT rating. That will get you back around the stock weight. You can go from there on different tread patterns with fairly minimal impact.

bgator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum
I have these Coopers in 275/60/20 on my 2016, and they're great. Wet weather performance is good (better than the OEM Goodyear Wranglers).

Sponsored

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB - Antimatter Blue
I'm replacing my OEM 275/60R20 Hankooks with the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus. We finally had measurable snow on the Colorado front range, and I discovered the Hankooks had to go. I'll have them installed next Tuesday. I also considered the Cooper, Firestone and General S all terrains. The dart landed on the Pirellis (I like the way they look). I'll report back on dry road performance, comfort, and noise within the week. I won't be able to cover wet road or snow performance because the forecast is predicting 50s and 60s again next week.

OP
OP
ConiferEric

ConiferEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat, Powerboost Hybrid
I'm replacing my OEM 275/60R20 Hankooks with the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus. We finally had measurable snow on the Colorado front range, and I discovered the Hankooks had to go. I'll have them installed next Tuesday. I also considered the Cooper, Firestone and General S all terrains. The dart landed on the Pirellis (I like the way they look). I'll report back on dry road performance, comfort, and noise within the week. I won't be able to cover wet road or snow performance because the forecast is predicting 50s and 60s again next week.
How do you like the Pirellis? Also, did you stick with the stock size?

Wvmtneer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I’ve had good luck with p rated 275/60/r20 falken wildpeak at3w as far as rain, snow and mileage go.

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB - Antimatter Blue
How do you like the Pirellis? Also, did you stick with the stock size?
I haven't installed them yet. When I first posted I mistakenly thought my installation appointment was Tuesday the 18th. Instead it is next Tuesday, the 25th.

Yes, I'm sticking with the original size and load rating. The hybrid drive is so mild that I didn't want to compromise the system by adding rotational mass in either diameter or weight I would have liked to add about an inch to ground clearance, but it won't be with larger tires.

klvanzu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Ok... first off, I take full responsibility for my initial decision to go with the tires I did when I bought my truck. I fell for the classic sales pitch "Yeah... those stock tires look fine enough... BUT, if you're spending THAT much money on a truck, don't you want it to stand out?!" So, I had it leveled (which I like) and threw some LT285/65R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on there. I will admit, the truck looks great! But, one of the main reasons I bought the powerboost was for the gas mileage, I had no idea that those tires were going to kill my gas mileage to the tune of about -9 MPG! I honestly don't think the salesman was trying to oversell me; I don't think he had sold many PowerBoosts, so he didn't realize the impact of the tires.

When I mentioned something to the service manager, he looked at me like I was an idiot. (I'm a first time truck owner... so, I guess he was right.) He just said, "Look at those tires! They are big, sticky and each one weighs 20 pounds more than the stock tires! Of course it killed your gas mileage."

So... I am seriously considering getting rid of these Nitto's (they only have 3K miles on them) and replacing them with a lighter, more fuel efficient tire. I like the agressive look of 285/65's on there, but if I can't find something that'll at least get me above 20 MPG, I'd be willing to go back down to 275/60. I drive some in the Tahoe snow, but don't tow or haul much at all.

I looked at these based on chatter around the site and in this thread:
(all are LT285/65)
  • Cooper Discovery AT3 XLT - 65 lbs (heavier than the Nittos!)
  • BF Goodrich KO2's - 61 lbs
  • Firestone X/T - 53 lbs
So, the only one that is substantially lighter is the Firestone, and they are still 11 lbs heavier than the stock Hankook's.

Once again, I ask for the collective wisdom of my brethren on f150gen14 to help me make this life changing decision. (Yes... I was poking fun at my first world problem)

After reading through this whole tread, several times... I still have no clue. ?
Is there significant difference in the look of 275/65, 275/60 and the 285/65's that I have?

With the stock tires:
1641852835167.png

With the Nitto Ridge Grapplers... (and 2" level)...
1641852854796.png
Check out the Cooper Rugged Trek 275/60r20 SL. Only 47 lbs each, look great, very capable, and thing I liked is that they’re actually a little larger in diameter than other brands in the same size.

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
I picked up my new Powerboost last week from the dealer and am wanting to replace the factory 275/60R20 Hankook tires with something more appropriate for our Colorado winters (3 Peak Mountain Snowflake). I'm considering the following three tires in the same factory size:
  • Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac (had these on my 2014 F150, great grip in the snow, weak dry pavement handling tires)
  • BFG AT KO3 (ran these on the 2014 F150 before the Duratracs, but were full of vibrations and caused all sorts of interior buzzing. They were also better handling in the dry but a little weaker in the snow than the Duratracs)
  • General Grabber ATX (test drove a new F150 Tremor with these tires and was really impressed)
Is anyone else running one of these brands of tires on their Powerboost in the factory size? I'm wondering what hit you noticed in fuel economy by changing from the lighter weight all season to a heavier, all terrain tire?

20211019_175413068_iOS.jpg
Ive always used Bridegstone blizzaks . Northeast adirondack area . Not Colorado snow totals but plenty cold and icy . My f150 is a snowmobile with the blizzaks . So was my expedition and my flex before that and my kids escape and subaru wrx are too . The f150 now has little change in mpg and still very quiet .
Sponsored