• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Spent years in the 1000 Islands, cold is relative.
After a couple of years jumping back and forth from Omaha Nebraska to Riyadh Saudia Arabia, I concur cold is relative. There were times in the sandbox where we woke to 72 degrees and you wanted to put on a jacket. Other times in Omaha in early spring when it was 50+ you wanted shorts.
Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Ford is either being super lazy on fixing their pre-prod programming to show accurate mileage, or the truck is capable of as much as 100 or so miles range in unloaded form, and Ford is just playing a long game before reveal.
Nah...my on screen range on the Tesla I can show 400 miles on a 310 rated car based on most recent driving. People keep seeing the same screen in F150 and think there's some secret sauce but just variation based on usage. You can see the same on ICE vehicles looking at MPG computer after going downhill for 30 minutes. Your mpg didn't suddenly go up to 50 mpg even though the display will show that after a downhill run.

300 mile range is excellent. One can look at the MachE range for how the EPA rating is a bit conservative but largely accurate.

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
This thread inspired some of my questions at the Ford Lightning Tour Daytona stop. I asked several questions relating to cold weather performance.

Max confirmed resistive heater (5:50+ in this video) despite the efficiency benefits of a heat pump for those who don't understand heat pumps you can read this fairly technical article https://chargedevs.com/features/a-closer-look-at-why-heat-pumps-are-dominating-ev-hvac-systems/

He also stated that Ford's recommendation is to pre-condition the cabin while you are plugged in to offset the increased energy draw from the battery and minimize the impact on range. He mentioned this also pre-conditions the battery to optimal driving temperature (7:30 in the same video). I remember living up north and starting my car while I dug it out of a snow bank so that it would warm up as well as help melt the ice on the windshield. Lake effect snow can really suck.

So like I use the resistive heater in my focus electric seat over the resistive heater for the cabin air since I rarely have to heat the cabin air for passengers. It has proven to be less of a range hit when I am not near a plug to pre-condition the cabin temperature.
Sponsored