Sponsored

Agate Black 402A-Pictures don’t do it justice

NC Tremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 VW Atlas Cross Sport
In early July I ordered a Leadfoot 402A, and like many on the Tremor forums learned last week my build had been pushed back from 10/18 to November. My dealership had two loaded 402A’s inbound, so I asked my sales guy to give me the heads up when they hit the lot so I could get a look at them in person. The black one arrived Wednesday evening and my guy called me immediately so I could see it the next morning before it went through dealer prep. Luckily I had the day off so I had the opportunity to see it before someone bought it.

Just like everyone else here, I had to see with my own eyes the seats and the rake. My take on both:

The seats-The amount of orange is all based on viewing angle and sun/shade angles. Looking at the seats from the side allows you to see the orange layer better through the perforations, whereas looking at them straight on reduces the effect. The more sunlight there is, the more orange you see. In my opinion, it looks great and complements the rest of the stitching and piping perfectly. It doesn’t look brown at all as many have noticed in a lot of the photos available in the forums. After rewatching the Bronco Nation preproduction walk through, the orange layer was definitely not on those seats in the video.

Ford F-150 Agate Black 402A-Pictures don’t do it justice 6AC6DA5D-A8C6-4A80-8976-5775E3D6001F
Ford F-150 Agate Black 402A-Pictures don’t do it justice 67B49228-BE56-42F5-A7D2-F79E5EDF8406
Ford F-150 Agate Black 402A-Pictures don’t do it justice 05A90DE9-757F-41FD-A2AC-FD1C5CA8D07B

The rake-Like the seats, I feel that the rake is not as extreme in person. This might be due to the fact it is a black truck and there is no contrast between the paint job and the wheel wells. I’d have to see a different color in person to be sure though. Before seeing it person, I was convinced I would either remove the blocks or put drop shackles on it (it barely clears the top of my garage door so a level was not the best option). Now that I’ve seen it, I feel that it looks great the way it is and with the 33’s the look is complete. That being said, if the level was an option I would go for it.

Ford F-150 Agate Black 402A-Pictures don’t do it justice 984194CF-1732-4C9F-9173-60F96C6888ED
Ford F-150 Agate Black 402A-Pictures don’t do it justice A7599D17-DCE1-4D09-B5FC-F9E283A372C9

Even though I was firmly in the Leadfoot camp, after seeing the black one (even before they washed it) I was a convert. The two things stopping me initially were the dealer sticker with a $3k markup and that it had $2k in options I really don’t need. Given all of the uncertainty over my order the last few months it couldn’t hurt to let the dealer talk me in to taking it home that day. To my surprise, they offered it to me at MSRP with no markup and the $500 military rebate. I suppose that since they’ll eventually have my original order they can recoup the $3k down the road. I thought it was a fair offer in this market, and given my sales guy has been good to me through the order process and waiting period we closed the deal.

Overall, I can say that pictures don’t do this truck justice. It has a great presence without being over the top. It stays true to the line, but still has the feel of being custom. My last F150 was a 98 extra cab…they’ve come a long way for sure. And in the two days of driving it, it definitely turns heads…even got stopped at the grocery store by someone who had to get a look at it. So far I’m happy I brought it home, but it also would have been worth the wait till November or December if this one wasn’t available.
Sponsored

Last edited:

tossty

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 2021 Ordered Feb 18-2021
Occupation
Retired
Beautiful truck, enjoy your ride (y)

jwinthro

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 CG Lariat BAP 4x4
Occupation
Sales
In early July I ordered a Leadfoot 402A, and like many on the Tremor forums learned last week my build had been pushed back from 10/18 to November. My dealership had two loaded 402A’s inbound, so I asked my sales guy to give me the heads up when they hit the lot so I could get a look at them in person. The black one arrived Wednesday evening and my guy called me immediately so I could see it the next morning before it went through dealer prep. Luckily I had the day off so I had the opportunity to see it before someone bought it.

Just like everyone else here, I had to see with my own eyes the seats and the rake. My take on both:

The seats-The amount of orange is all based on viewing angle and sun/shade angles. Looking at the seats from the side allows you to see the orange layer better through the perforations, whereas looking at them straight on reduces the effect. The more sunlight there is, the more orange you see. In my opinion, it looks great and complements the rest of the stitching and piping perfectly. It doesn’t look brown at all as many have noticed in a lot of the photos available in the forums. After rewatching the Bronco Nation preproduction walk through, the orange layer was definitely not on those seats in the video.

6AC6DA5D-A8C6-4A80-8976-5775E3D6001F.jpeg
67B49228-BE56-42F5-A7D2-F79E5EDF8406.jpeg
05A90DE9-757F-41FD-A2AC-FD1C5CA8D07B.jpeg

The rake-Like the seats, I feel that the rake is not as extreme in person. This might be due to the fact it is a black truck and there is no contrast between the paint job and the wheel wells. I’d have to see a different color in person to be sure though. Before seeing it person, I was convinced I would either remove the blocks or put drop shackles on it (it barely clears the top of my garage door so a level was not the best option). Now that I’ve seen it, I feel that it looks great the way it is and with the 33’s the look is complete. That being said, if the level was an option I would go for it.

984194CF-1732-4C9F-9173-60F96C6888ED.jpeg
A7599D17-DCE1-4D09-B5FC-F9E283A372C9.jpeg

Even though I was firmly in the Leadfoot camp, after seeing the black one (even before they washed it) I was a convert. The two things stopping me initially were the dealer sticker with a $3k markup and that it had $2k in options I really don’t need. Given all of the uncertainty over my order the last few months it couldn’t hurt to let the dealer talk me in to taking it home that day. To my surprise, they offered it to me at MSRP with no markup and the $500 military rebate. I suppose that since they’ll eventually have my original order they can recoup the $3k down the road. I thought it was a fair offer in this market, and given my sales guy has been good to me through the order process and waiting period we closed the deal.

Overall, I can say that pictures don’t do this truck justice. It has a great presence without being over the top. It stays true to the line, but still has the feel of being custom. My last F150 was a 98 extra cab…they’ve come a long way for sure. And in the two days of driving it, it definitely turns heads…even got stopped at the grocery store by someone who had to get a look at it. So far I’m happy I brought it home, but it would have been worth the wait till November or December.
Thank you, this is precisely the review I have (and many others) been looking for. There is one arriving at a dealer near me in a few days time and I am definitely going to check it out. But your pictures seem to tell the right tale.

SilverbackHobbit

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
Occupation
IT Manager
Couldn't agree more. The pictures don't do it justice as far as the interior. The coloring is perfect imho, nice character to complete the look. If you're on the fence about 401A vs 402A, get the 402A. It is probably the nicest vehicle I've ever been in, but definitely the nicest I have ever owned. The fit and finish, overall feel of the materials etc. is top notch. I am in love with my truck. :)
Sponsored