Aftermarket steering wheel install with heat, paddle shifters, and LED display

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
Hey guys, getting ready to order an aftermarket steering wheel for my 22 XL. I plan to add heat, paddle shifters, and the steering wheel has an LED display built into it as well. From what I understand I need for the heated steering wheel to work:

W721079-S437 - steering wheel bolt

WPT-404 - wire assembly

ML3Z-14A664-B - clockspring/SCCM

Harness from Boosted Grey Goose Designs (for heated portion)

DU2Z-14474-BA - terminal assembly x3 (for paddle shifters)

I didn't list the steering wheel because obviously I'm getting that aftermarket. I also plan to just do the soft button in the Sync display instead of swapping the HVAC panel since I don't have the heated seats, dual zone, etc. Besides programming is there anything I'm missing that I'll need? Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
Update - ordered the aftermarket wheel with the LED display, heat, and paddle shifters. I'll be calling Ford tomorrow to get the steering wheel bolt and the SCCM/clockspring ordered. Lastly, I found a member on the 14th Gen F-150 Facebook group to make the paddle shifter/heated wheel harness.

I will be programming the Sync display for the soft button for the heated wheel. Down the road if I add heated/cooled seats I may add the HVAC panel that has the heated steering wheel button. Since my truck is an XL it has the base single zone HVAC, so no reason to change the whole panel just for the heated wheel button since none of the buttons would actually do anything at this point.

Lricaud81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 stx fx4
Update - ordered the aftermarket wheel with the LED display, heat, and paddle shifters. I'll be calling Ford tomorrow to get the steering wheel bolt and the SCCM/clockspring ordered. Lastly, I found a member on the 14th Gen F-150 Facebook group to make the paddle shifter/heated wheel harness.

I will be programming the Sync display for the soft button for the heated wheel. Down the road if I add heated/cooled seats I may add the HVAC panel that has the heated steering wheel button. Since my truck is an XL it has the base single zone HVAC, so no reason to change the whole panel just for the heated wheel button since none of the buttons would actually do anything at this point.
Got a link to wheel.
You have the 8" screen. We can add the soft button as u have the 8"

OP
OP

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
Got a link to wheel.
You have the 8" screen. We can add the soft button as u have the 8"
I found the seller on eBay for it and had to custom order it based on some of the other listings, so the specific one I ordered I don't have a picture of. Do you mean you can or can't do the soft button on the 8" screen?

Lricaud81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 stx fx4
I found the seller on eBay for it and had to custom order it based on some of the other listings, so the specific one I ordered I don't have a picture of. Do you mean you can or can't do the soft button on the 8" screen?
Well I did want to see your wheel but yes I do want to know if the soft button would be able to be added to 8" screen

Sponsored

OP
OP

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
Well I did want to see your wheel but yes I do want to know if the soft button would be able to be added to 8" screen
I'll put up pictures after I receive it. As far as I know and have read the soft button can be added to the 8" screen.

ProperCrab

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Single Cab 4x4, 2022 Crew Cab 2WD
Occupation
Commercial Project Estimator
The installation isn't bad, a friend and I swapped a raptor wheel onto my truck last week.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
I have added the soft button to the 8”, it took a bit of finagling with Forscan. I don’t have the extended licence anymore but I had to enable heated/cooled seats as well as the wheel for it to work. Zero issues in 6 months and works perfectly
Ford F-150 Aftermarket steering wheel install with heat, paddle shifters, and LED display IMG_3118

OP
OP

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
I have added the soft button to the 8”, it took a bit of finagling with Forscan. I don’t have the extended licence anymore but I had to enable heated/cooled seats as well as the wheel for it to work. Zero issues in 6 months and works perfectly
IMG_3118.jpeg
I ended up paying for the extended license because it was fairly cheap, plus I needed it to change as-built data anyways.

Sponsored

OP
OP

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
Installing my aftermarket steering wheel currently. It is equipped with paddle shifters, heated, and has the LED display.

I had already disassembled the truck and found that I don't have the SCCM with the heated connector on it, mine is just a dummy block off. It looks like I need part number ML3Z-14A664-B which is the SCCM for the heated wheel connector, and then harness from Boosted Grey Goose Designs that goes from the SCCM to the BCM. My aftermarket wheel already appears to have the WPT-404 that would plug into the SCCM. I don't plan to use the physical button, but just reprogram the Sync 4 display to have the soft touch button to activate the heat.

The paddle shifters I'm still not 100% sure of what I need to get them to function. It seems I need a harness still for inside the steering wheel to go from the shifters to the SCCM. As far as I understand all trucks are pre-wired for the paddle shifters to the SCCM and you just need the harness from the paddle shifters to the SCCM. From what I understand I just need 3 of DU2Z-14474-BA to connect from the paddle shifters to the SCCM and make sure they are pinned out properly.

Can anyone help verify this information? Thank you!

mau47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 502A Powerboost FX4
Installing my aftermarket steering wheel currently. It is equipped with paddle shifters, heated, and has the LED display.

I had already disassembled the truck and found that I don't have the SCCM with the heated connector on it, mine is just a dummy block off. It looks like I need part number ML3Z-14A664-B which is the SCCM for the heated wheel connector, and then harness from Boosted Grey Goose Designs that goes from the SCCM to the BCM. My aftermarket wheel already appears to have the WPT-404 that would plug into the SCCM. I don't plan to use the physical button, but just reprogram the Sync 4 display to have the soft touch button to activate the heat.

The paddle shifters I'm still not 100% sure of what I need to get them to function. It seems I need a harness still for inside the steering wheel to go from the shifters to the SCCM. As far as I understand all trucks are pre-wired for the paddle shifters to the SCCM and you just need the harness from the paddle shifters to the SCCM. From what I understand I just need 3 of DU2Z-14474-BA to connect from the paddle shifters to the SCCM and make sure they are pinned out properly.

Can anyone help verify this information? Thank you!
My particular truck was NOT wired for paddle shifters, I considered going with a raptor wheel but decided not to because of the extra hassle of running wires to the console and added cost. If your truck has a column shifter and it's not wired it should be a really short run to wire it up.

OP
OP

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
My particular truck was NOT wired for paddle shifters, I considered going with a raptor wheel but decided not to because of the extra hassle of running wires to the console and added cost. If your truck has a column shifter and it's not wired it should be a really short run to wire it up.
Yeah, mine has a column shift, so if it's not wired for it, it should be really easy to wire up since the wires are already at up there near the top of the column. Just need to run them from the shifter harness over to the SCCM.

OP
OP

The_Auto_Tech

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XL 4x2 3.3
Got any pictures of that wheel?
They are almost fully customizable as far as material, stitching color, LED display or not, trim, and options. I'm going to be doing some more interior things to match it a bit like changing the gray trim to black, and most likely doing some vinyl wrap work.

Ford F-150 Aftermarket steering wheel install with heat, paddle shifters, and LED display PXL_20240209_153327230
Sponsored