First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
He mentioned it, but maybe not clearly enough. Turn off everything inside the truck, lights, AC, cool or heated seats, audio and the infotainment screen when powering the trailer. The engine will kick on more frequently since you would be using more power to keep those unnecessary things powered up. So everything off, unless you need it on for something, like maybe you want to leave the dog in the truck for a while with the AC on.

When the generator is not running, the eco idle will shut the truck off after 30 minutes (iirc), but you can turn off the eco idle feature if you will be gone more than 30 minutes and you want the truck to stay cool for groceries, animals, humans, etc., or you can just restart it with the app for another 30 minutes or you can manually extend the eco idle cycle for an additional 15 minutes through the app. When I do this, I regularly check the Ford Pass App to ensure the truck is still on.

If you leave animals in the trailer with the AC on powered by the truck it seems like a good idea to also regularly check the Ford Pass App to make sure the generator is powering the AC. On two occasions (out of many uses) my generator has randomly shut off. I suspect it did this because of the auto mode on the AC, which turns it off and on according to the thermostat setting and when it kicks on it may sometimes spike the watts needed to start it up to more than 3600 watts, which causes the inverter to overload and shut off. This is just an educated guess, I have not found a better reason for this happening.

Ford F-150 Adventures in Driveway Camping with Pro Power Onboard E24C3DF1-C2F4-431D-9C9B-E885E25D7ACF
Sponsored

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
How much gas did that use?
Ford claims 32 hours of endurance with a full tank of gas pulling 7.2kw from the generator. I have not tried this yet.

A friend has a 5th wheel trailer sitting adjacent to the national forest high in the Sierra Mountains of California. Only source of power is solar cells and batteries. Recently I planned a visit. As we both arrived we found the batteries dead. Got out the dog bone and hooked PowerBoost to the 5 wheel 50 amp connector. Two hours later batteries charged and we were sitting in the trailer with full services and two air conditioners running. Until the PowerBoost arrived those air conditioners have never operated.

The PowerBoost F-150 with 7.2kw ProPower Onboard generator changes everything. On hot days for an hour trip into the store I just leave the PowerBoost "running" in the parking then come back to a nice cool truck.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the gas update. That is outstanding.
I think the efficiency of the Propower as a generator often is overlooked and is possibly its best feature. Pure gasoline generators have an efficiency curve and are designed to be most efficient at peak load. But if you want to power a varying load for a long period of time (like a house or RV) then it has to waste fuel the entire time even during light loads. The Propower gives you the best of both worlds! Its basically the same efficiency over the entire load range because it simply duty cycles the engine for coulombs in, no matter what the rate of coulombs out is.

The other factor is tank size. A toted around genny just can't compete with a portable 30 gallon F150. Yes, you cannot use all 30 gallons because you have to drive it eventually, but you still get a massive runtime on a full tank. And gas generators are not typically designed to run more than 8-12hrs continuous.

PaulO

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 PB
I haven’t received my powerboost yet but I was curious, can I power a portable refrigerator in the bed of my truck while driving or does the movement shut the outlets off? I’m getting the 7.2kw propower.

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, 2022 F-150 Limited Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
I haven’t received my powerboost yet but I was curious, can I power a portable refrigerator in the bed of my truck while driving or does the movement shut the outlets off? I’m getting the 7.2kw propower.
I have read in other posts you can power the TT while driving down the road so a fridge should be no problem.

Sponsored

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
I have read in other posts you can power the TT while driving down the road so a fridge should be no problem.
I have a Dometic refrigerator in the bed. It is on all the time.

I also fully power a 25' Airstream trailer in motion from the PowerBoost. Propower will support most loads of the trailer including both air conditioning units and Victron charger servicing 400ah of lithium batteries.

Here is a walk through of my ProPower 7.2kw generator fully servicing the Airstream trailer.

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
There is a serious lack of double rainbow comments.

I know the 2KW pro power wouldn’t be able to provide the power used here, but I’m already regretting not even having that.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
@Shooter56
Best Powerboost post ever!
Congratulations on the Grandpa thing too!

Thanks for taking the time to share such a great story.

NotMyName

First Name
John Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco First Edition, 2022 F150 Platinum
PBXL said:
If World War 3 breaks out, the remaining population of the US will mostly be Powerboost owners who love the 2nd Ammendment. Sign me up!

Leave the politics out of the forum.
Just curious how you relate this comment to politics? Someone referencing the US Constitution is now political? Or was it the WW3 comment? If I say the speed limit is 70mph is that political? What about using the Powerboost if we experience a power outage….is that political? Just trying to understand your mindset then decide if I’m willing to comply with rational or demented thinking.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm one to avoid politics as much as possible. I'm too old and enjoying myself having most of the world on ignore. :)

Still, I got the Powerboost/apocalypse joke.
It was a compliment to the truck, in my opinion. Lol

Sponsored

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
PBXL said:
If World War 3 breaks out, the remaining population of the US will mostly be Powerboost owners who love the 2nd Ammendment. Sign me up!

Just curious how you relate this comment to politics? Someone referencing the US Constitution is now political? Or was it the WW3 comment? If I say the speed limit is 70mph is that political? What about using the Powerboost if we experience a power outage….is that political? Just trying to understand your mindset then decide if I’m willing to comply with rational or demented thinking.
If you don’t know………you don’t know.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
He mentioned it, but maybe not clearly enough. Turn off everything inside the truck, lights, AC, cool or heated seats, audio and the infotainment screen when powering the trailer. The engine will kick on more frequently since you would be using more power to keep those unnecessary things powered up. So everything off, unless you need it on for something, like maybe you want to leave the dog in the truck for a while with the AC on.

When the generator is not running, the eco idle will shut the truck off after 30 minutes (iirc), but you can turn off the eco idle feature if you will be gone more than 30 minutes and you want the truck to stay cool for groceries, animals, humans, etc., or you can just restart it with the app for another 30 minutes or you can manually extend the eco idle cycle for an additional 15 minutes through the app. When I do this, I regularly check the Ford Pass App to ensure the truck is still on.

If you leave animals in the trailer with the AC on powered by the truck it seems like a good idea to also regularly check the Ford Pass App to make sure the generator is powering the AC. On two occasions (out of many uses) my generator has randomly shut off. I suspect it did this because of the auto mode on the AC, which turns it off and on according to the thermostat setting and when it kicks on it may sometimes spike the watts needed to start it up to more than 3600 watts, which causes the inverter to overload and shut off. This is just an educated guess, I have not found a better reason for this happening.

E24C3DF1-C2F4-431D-9C9B-E885E25D7ACF.jpeg
FYI eco idle setting is different than 30 min max idle. Eco idle will kick the engine into a high idle, so it doesn’t run as long to charge the battery. It’s nice for in traffic and while driving, but can be load if camping at camp sites with others around. 30 min max idle allows for longer “idling” sessions.
Cheers.

OP
OP
Shooter56

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Lawyer
This is right . Thanks for the correction.

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2022 F150 701A (Ordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer

Travel trailer, border collie and a powerboost? I'll hopefully join you there three for three once I take delivery of mine (sometime in early June, I hope!)

OP
OP
Shooter56

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Lawyer
Congrats on all three! The BC loves the trailer and the truck. When the trailer comes home she knows we’re going somewhere fun!
Sponsored