Sponsored

Advantages of a fixed front air dam?

Bigtwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Roush F-150, 2019 Edge
Relatively new to the truck scene, accustomed to the functionality of lip spoilers and such on performance cars I've owned, but what are the actual advantages of a fixed front air dam, especially when your truck is lifted/ leveled? Has anyone removed theirs for aesthetic reasons or purely for approach angles and tire fitment? Thinking of removing mine from my Roush. Thanks ahead.
Sponsored

DT400

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
79 Scout II, 90 Mustang gt, 95 F-150, 22 F-150
I would say the front spoiler on you truck serves the same function as on sports cars...just maybe less of an overall effect.
The regular (non sport/off-road specific) F-150's run an automatic chin spoiler that drops at higher speeds (over say 40 mph?) to help with aerodynamics an fuel mileage. How much does it help? No idea maybe only .1 mpg but maybe 1 mpg.
It won't be detrimental l to anything, except maybe mileage or possibly handling at high speed, if you remove it.

Darrell

Maljr1980

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
Project Manager
I’m no expert on this, but I don’t think it does anything on a truck like a front spoiler does on a sports car. Some improvement on fuel economy, but I don’t see it keeping a lifted or non lifted truck glued to the road and from spinning out or rolling over around a racetrack. It doesn’t even have the same shape as a sports car. On a sports car it would be flat and maybe 1-2” thick, reducing turbulence underneath the vehicle and adding down force. On the truck it is 6” tall, and more or less deflects air around the vehicle. It seems like it’s function is to slightly improve and help government mandated fleet fuel economy, and not to improve high speed handling.

Last edited:

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
It's there to reduce drag at speed to improve fuel economy. While there may be a slight change to handling, it's a truck, so any difference would be negligible, especially when it's moving.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Actually, these air dams are effective.
I have a 79 Chev C10 with a 454.
the biggest mpg improvements made—
3“/4” drop was good for an additional 1mpg
Reinstalling the original air dam after the drop and ‘ bent front metal” incident also improved on that by about 1/2 or better.
That pickup gave me a consistent 14mpg running empty
70mph/2800
Hang a trailer on that thing and I was hard pressed for 7

Any air you can keep from getting under the car the better
Sponsored