Sponsored

Livnitup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
I figured out how to enable HDC (Hill Descent Control) & Rock Crawl driving mode to a non-FX4 4WD. This mod requires the following:

1. The HDC button - in my case it's the split button for HDC & Traction Control p/n: SW8524 / ML3Z-13D730-RA (Note this matches the trim in my Platinum and the p/n for an XLT would be different)

2. Terminals for HDC connector C2304 - pin 4 (female) and inline connector C214 - pin 12 (female) located behind the A/C controls. The Ford part #'s for these terminals are WT1001 & WT1002. These two terminals can be spliced/soldered together and end up being a good length to reach from C2304 to C214.

3. The following FORScan programming (ignore whatever you have where the x's are -
see my spreadsheets here)
IPC 720-10-01 x*xx xxxx xx-- enable HDC Control Function (HDCCF) if your default value is "A" then change to "B"
ABS 760-03-01 *xxx -- - enable HDC if your default value is "4" then change to "6", if your default is "D" then change to "F"
ABS 760-04-01 xxxx xx8x xx-- enables Rock Crawl drive mode

4. Lots of patience removing a lot of trim pieces to access everything. Note: your existing Traction Control Switch is held in place by the protruding prongs on the sides of the switch (see 3rd pic below) and they must be squeezed to push the switch forward out of the trim cutout.

Edit: added the trim removal directions and modified the order of the pdf instructions and removed unnecessary steps.

Ford F-150 Adding Hill Descent Control to a non-FX4 4WD HDC switch

Ford F-150 Adding Hill Descent Control to a non-FX4 4WD HDC-1

Ford F-150 Adding Hill Descent Control to a non-FX4 4WD hdc prongs

Ford F-150 Adding Hill Descent Control to a non-FX4 4WD HDC-3

Ford F-150 Adding Hill Descent Control to a non-FX4 4WD HDC-4

Ford F-150 Adding Hill Descent Control to a non-FX4 4WD C214

Ford F-150 Adding Hill Descent Control to a non-FX4 4WD HDC-5

Ford F-150 Adding Hill Descent Control to a non-FX4 4WD rock crawl

Edit: My original post stated a male terminal for C214 but I have become aware that it should've been female so the post has been updated to reflect that.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
Awesome. I just did tried some off road driving Sun and Tues. I tried 4L and left foot braking on a decent and thought hmm maybe I should have got that fancy hill decent/rock crawl option. LOL
Now I can add it !!!

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
How do you all get the exact degree readings to show for your temps? My truck only has the gauges.

Ford F-150 Adding Hill Descent Control to a non-FX4 4WD 03766F2C-10DB-42AA-86D9-A7BD140BD9CD

OP
OP
Livnitup

Livnitup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
How do you all get the exact degree readings to show for your temps? My truck only has the gauges.

03766F2C-10DB-42AA-86D9-A7BD140BD9CD.jpeg
With FORScan, see row 22 on my Common spreadsheet here

Sponsored

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
I added a trim removal pdf to the original post and edited the order and removed unnecessary steps.
To be clear for me, you need to remove top dash speaker and trim assembly to be able to change out the switch. And you need to remove lower control panel (with all the buttons and knobs) to get to the connector you have to add the wire to. Correct?

The green and black wires you show, you solder/connect the bare wire ends together to make a single cable with terminals on each end. Correct?

How did you find the p/n for the right trim level of the switch. I.E. how would I order one for a King Ranch trim?

Thanks, for all this work.

OP
OP
Livnitup

Livnitup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
To be clear for me, you need to remove top dash speaker and trim assembly to be able to change out the switch. And you need to remove lower control panel (with all the buttons and knobs) to get to the connector you have to add the wire to. Correct?

The green and black wires you show, you solder/connect the bare wire ends together to make a single cable with terminals on each end. Correct?

How did you find the p/n for the right trim level of the switch. I.E. how would I order one for a King Ranch trim?

Thanks, for all this work.
You don't need to actually remove the top speaker; just be able to pry up the trim piece it's connected to. Yes, you'll need to remove the lower control panel to gain access to the inline connector. Yes, strip the non-terminal ends of those green/black wires and solder/connect them together forming one wire. I soldered them and used heat-shrink tubing on the joint.

I'm not sure how many variations there are of the switch but if your existing buttons up there have that silver strip at the top of the buttons then you can use my part #. The XL/XLTs don't have that silver strip on the buttons and are black.

If you haven't purchased anything yet then message me and I can send you a new switch like mine and the terminals for shipping cost only. The terminals come 5 to a pack so I have 4 left.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
If you haven't purchased anything yet then message me and I can send you a new switch like mine and the terminals for shipping cost only. The terminals come 5 to a pack so I have 4 left.
Thanks don't have truck yet, still waiting, but appreciate the offer. First order (with still 10/31 delivery) has FX so no need. 2nd order just placed has new options (Adjust susp) so can't have FX. If I get a decent delivery on 2nd order, will go with it, vs 7 month old "field" tested first order. Hence my interest, if I end up with 2nd order.

Mr. Zog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport 3.5L EB, 5.5' Space White
Thanks for the work on this! I have an XLT so looking for the all-black switch and it seems I can only find them up through 2020 - do you know if they are the same for 2021?

Here's an example of what I'm finding (and I'm thinking it's not the same for 2021 - partly because the buttons are swapped from what you are showing).

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...c9bCg1uwddslNIa2bFK6NF9fr8AGIYfBoCYOEQAvD_BwE

Also, is there a particular trim removal tool / kit that you recommend?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Livnitup

Livnitup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Thanks for the work on this! I have an XLT so looking for the all-black switch and it seems I can only find them up through 2020 - do you know if they are the same for 2021?

Here's an example of what I'm finding (and I'm thinking it's not the same for 2021 - partly because the buttons are swapped from what you are showing).

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...c9bCg1uwddslNIa2bFK6NF9fr8AGIYfBoCYOEQAvD_BwE
No, that's not the right one. I believe a 2021 XLT would use Part #: SW8522 (13D730) but call your local dealership's parts department to verify this. Here's a 2021 XLT FX4 VIN you can give them so that they pull the right part: 1FTEW1EP6MKD22782

Edit: I'm also not sure if the part # is dependent on whether you have the 8"/12" Sync screen.
Sponsored

Last edited: