Sponsored

Adding BlueCruise to Lariat

JoeBlowFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Plat PB (Job 1)
I very much doubt that Ford would enable BlueCruise on a vehicle that didn't come equipped for it from the factory.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I don't think it's going to be that easy. Also don't think you will Forscan your way around connecting all the systems together. There could be other 3rd party solutions that work later.

Mxp0w3r25

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I believe you would also need the front bumper sensors as well. Those are included with the BlueCruise option. But like mentioned above, I don’t think they will allow you to use the feature if done after the fact.

Who knows maybe they will end up giving an option to have the dealer install if they want more people to utilize it.

At this point its not worth it as its a new area for them and It’s not ready for prime time. Saw a video on it and it still requires you to handle slight curves on the high way, construction zones , navigate or take you off exits, etc.

OP
OP

GatorLariat21

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Raptor - Code Orange
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Probably allow dealer install if subscriptions are light.

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I think a prerequisite would be having the copilot assist 360 since that already has the rest of the cameras and the front bumper sensors. At that point then yeah it would be the module, interior cameras and reprogramming. If they would ever allow at all, as mentioned it would likely have to be done and calibrated by a dealer.

Aaron34

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Platinum PB (on order 1/3/23)
Occupation
Aircraft Dispatcher
Also, Active Prep adds two additional sensors to the front bumper (sideways oriented) over what comes with the Co-pilot Assist package.

Last edited:

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Also, Active Prep adds two additional sensors to the front bumper (sideways oriented) over what comes with the Co-pilot Assist package.
With regard to these extra side sensors, I noticed that the Trucks without these sensors on the side of bumper do not detect obstacles getting close to the running boards.

Has anyone discussed just adding the side sensors and enabling in FORScan? Just for the side detection? I have read through most of the 2021 F150 ForScan threads, but this appears to be the closest related thread.

Anyone? Asking for my brother and his new 2021 Job 2 EB Lariat model. When he saw the info graphic of the side detection pop up on mine, he figured out it was due to those additional sensors 2 front and 2 back.

LD50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Raptor, 2022 Lariat on order
Given the issues that 2021 Job 1 owners are having with getting BC activated, even with the trucks ordered with the prep package, I'd say the software side would be a nightmare, even if you can sort out the hardware. I had a similar experience but much less complex with a 2011 Raptor that was ordered with the front camera but came without it. Even then it involved about $2-3K in parts and the dealership had to work with SVT engineers to rewrite software to make the truck recognize it. All for a $500 dollar option. Had it not been covered because of the mistake by either the dealer or Ford, I'd have never attempted to get it done.

In this case you also have to consider that BC is a subscription service. If your VIN and build don't specify it as an option, I'm not sure how you would get the necessary software and service. I can't see Ford allowing that to go through with what an aftermarket build with a system that could have serious safety and liability issues involved.

With enough time and money, just about any problem can be solved. In this case, trading the vehicle and purchasing one with appropriate options would likely be much more economical.

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
Since it’s a subscription model, I highly doubt ford would ever authorize a subscription to a vehicle that didn’t come with it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GatorLariat21

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Raptor - Code Orange
My understanding is the components wouldn’t be able to be added to the vehicles after they have left factories. Resale values are extremely high right now so I ended up swapping into another 21 with BC. I only lost a little value for the mileage. The dealerships seemed pretty open trade-ins because they’re still getting top dollar for barely used vehicles. It’s definitely worth it to me because BC is pretty awesome even in this early stage. If you plan on keeping the vehicle for several years it’s worth it. Not to mention they were running 0% interest when I traded in so I managed to go from interest beating to no interest.

Hudnut

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Auto industry
pttth. I have an early build platinum with all of that stuff. Still cant get bluecruise
Sponsored