OP

JBHBILL

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I have a Jeep Rubicon - totally agree about the security of a winch. But I mounted my Warn Winch to a receiver plate since if I drive into something deep, what am I to do…climb in the mud pit and then drag my jeep to the other side -possibly going deeper into the mud pit? Wouldn’t I rather winch backward??? So I installed a front receiver. I keep the winch inside the back of the jeep so I can winch forward or back. I can winch a buddy from the front or the rear. Plus, in 4 years I have only needed it once. So it is in great condition, no one tempted to steal it, it is not weathered and I don’t have to replace the synthetic line due to weather wear. Lastly, I can use it with other vehicles. I ran a power feed to the front and rear of my jeep thinking I would need it more frequently, but a set of jumper cables with a plug on the end allows me to bring the winch anywhere with a vehicle that has a receiver. Definitely a smart move vs installing a winch - unless you want the cool look factor - which I miss out on.
I'm leaning toward the rear hitch mount. The front bumpers look to be very expensive and will block some of the sensors if I don't move them. I don't think running wiring will be a problem. Thanks for your input.
Sponsored

OP
OP

JBHBILL

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
No, you cannot - the amp draw on a winch is huge! Buy a high quality set of jumper cables with heavy gauge wire and take the clamps off one end and install a quick disconnect - or wire direct to the winch with ring connectors. When you need to power winch, slide winch mount into receiver and then connect the jumper cables. Obviously the truck needs to be running when using the winch.
Great ideas, especially about the jumper cables. Thanks

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
ADD stealth, with sensors relocation kit, Apex 12K winch, Icon level, Good to go, no issues, lane keeping, collision avoidance still work fine. 5.0 so no need for intercooler relocation kit but its available.
Ford F-150 Adding a Winch 20231006_100004

OP
OP

JBHBILL

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
ADD stealth, with sensors relocation kit, Apex 12K winch, Icon level, Good to go, no issues, lane keeping, collision avoidance still work fine. 5.0 so no need for intercooler relocation kit but its available.
20231006_100004.jpg
Nice ride. Thanks for sharing

Sponsored

Old Bear

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Information Technology
Wonder what a winch with a 20-amp 110v motor would be like? Or go really nuts, 30-amp? :unsure: