Adding a Sub to non-unleashed BO system

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Any recommendations for adding a powered sub? I'm looking for the simplest install, so I'm thinking some sort of shallow mount sub underneath the rear seat on the driver side versus behind the seat. I'm thinking an AudioControl LC2i and the powered sub would be the least wiring after (power, ground, RCAs and tapping into existing speakers). Thoughts?
Sponsored

xXChartmanXx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Explorer, 2021 VW ID.4, 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
CyberSecurity Engineer
Any recommendations for adding a powered sub? I'm looking for the simplest install, so I'm thinking some sort of shallow mount sub underneath the rear seat on the driver side versus behind the seat. I'm thinking an AudioControl LC2i and the powered sub would be the least wiring after (power, ground, RCAs and tapping into existing speakers). Thoughts?
LC2I's are usually the best when tapping into OEM systems. I use one on my Explorer and works like a champ.

OP
OP
ricko24

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
LC2I's are usually the best when tapping into OEM systems. I use one on my Explorer and works like a champ.
I've used in the past on other installs...looking for recommendation for a good powered subwoofer...I just checked there could be some room behind the rear seat versus underneath for a shallow mount sub.

Last edited:

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
Would a 2018 - 2020 B&O sub work in a 2021?

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
I've used in the past on other installs...looking for recommendation for a good powered subwoofer...I just checked there could be some room behind the rear seat versus underneath for a shallow mount sub.
When I had my 2015 Toyota Tacoma, I got some help from a well known audio guy on the Tacoma forums. He pointed me to a PIONEER TS-SW2502S4 10-Inch which worked really well for my needs. It looks like that model has been replaced now, but might be worth checking out their line. I just wanted a good sounding, solid solution, and for me, it was all of that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ricko24

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
When I had my 2015 Toyota Tacoma, I got some help from a well known audio guy on the Tacoma forums. He pointed me to a PIONEER TS-SW2502S4 10-Inch which worked really well for my needs. It looks like that model has been replaced now, but might be worth checking out their line. I just wanted a good sounding, solid solution, and for me, it was all of that.
Just checked it out... I would need a box and amp if I went with something like that. Right now I am leaning toward https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R2S1X10/Rockford-Fosgate-R2S-1X10.html with some sort decent amp.

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Would a 2018 - 2020 B&O sub work in a 2021?
☝

Would like to know this as well, Ive heard anecdotally that the new B&O sub is not as powerful as the new 2021 systems sub.

OP
OP
ricko24

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Doesn't the B&O come with a Sub? Pretty sure it does.
it’s very underwhelming especially at higher volume...at least for the non unleashed version.

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
So I looked into ford parts the other day and the both B&O systems show the same sub back there... I might be looking at it wrong but one clearly said 18 speaker and the other 8 speaker. Looking at the 2018 Raptor sub setup, the wires going into the amp look like they could be the same but I'm not 100% with out some sort of diagram. To get the Raptor sub and amp would set me back about 500-600 bucks so not something I want to bite into if I'm not sure its straight plug and play.

Sponsored

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
Screen shots of what I found. Door speakers might be improved and the extra speakers in head rests and such but looks like the same sub back there on both set-ups. Also the Raptor or 2018+ B&O setup. You can see the sub box is a lot more substantial on the Raptor

Ford F-150 Adding a Sub to non-unleashed BO system 8 speaker.JPG

Ford F-150 Adding a Sub to non-unleashed BO system 18 speaker.JPG

Ford F-150 Adding a Sub to non-unleashed BO system Raptor Setup.JPG

Last edited:

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Agree the drawing of the green sub looks the same, but they do have slightly different PNs between the 8 spkr and 18 spkr (unleased). Could imply that drawing is wrong, or that size is the same, but different speaker material and voice coil to handle larger amps driven....?

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
Agree the drawing of the green sub looks the same, but they do have slightly different PNs between the 8 spkr and 18 spkr (unleased). Could imply that drawing is wrong, or that size is the same, but different speaker material and voice coil to handle larger amps driven....?

You might be right you can see the amp on the 18 vs the 8 looks different.. Might be worth a dealership visit sometime to take a closer look...

OP
OP
ricko24

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
an aftermarket sub/amp combo should sound much better than either B&O set-up especially plugging into factory wiring as it will reduce the low end as volume
I'll be installing my 2 10s and 800W amp. That B&O sub is garbage. Very dissapointed. VERY!
post pics please
Sponsored