Sponsored

Adaptive Steering makes a difference?

thevofl

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Antimatter Blue F150 Diet Platinum (Eventually)
Occupation
Math
For those of you that have adaptive steering on your F150s, have you noticed a difference? I ask because I was thinking of adding it to my Platinum order, but $1600 is a hefty price tag. My husband has a bad shoulder on his dominant side. My shoulder is starting to show signs of an issue. If this will help reduce strain, then I am for it. But if it is another nice thing to have yet the impact is minimal then I might pass on the feature.

I remember as a boy, my dad nearly crying from happiness, because the relief to his shoulder, when he got his first car with power steering. I don't expect the exact same thing, but some relief would be nice.
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
You most likely want the 701A package and it's in that, I think.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Along with a few increases in options, a few packaged features have been removed and are now no longer standard. I believe that the adaptive steering is one of those. On other forums, there's a few pissed of customers who had their salesmen inform them of the change for Job 2 builds and it must be new enough that the option isn't listed in the configurator, however it is absent from the list of standard features. The window sticker I saw listed it as a $1k option, though it's possible that they raised it, or it's more for the lower package.

For those of you that have adaptive steering on your F150s, have you noticed a difference?

Call around to dealerships if your local one doesn't have two similar trucks with and without the adaptive steering. Then test them back to back and see if it's worth it. They don't need to be the same trim, just wheelbase and configuration.

My XLT has the Co-Pilot360 Assist 2.0 and the steering is super light, actually too light for my taste and with hardly any feedback.

One thing the adaptive steering does is speed up the steer ratio at lower speeds, so you don't need to turn the wheel as much to go lock to lock. Which is a good thing, since even with super light steering, some folks have difficulty simply moving their arms.

OP
OP
thevofl

thevofl

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Antimatter Blue F150 Diet Platinum (Eventually)
Occupation
Math
I always had selected 701A, but adaptive steering is not part of that package.

allJUMPstyle

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1964 VW Bug, 1963 VW Doublecab, 2021 F-150 ordered
For those of you that have adaptive steering on your F150s, have you noticed a difference? I ask because I was thinking of adding it to my Platinum order, but $1600 is a hefty price tag. My husband has a bad shoulder on his dominant side. My shoulder is starting to show signs of an issue. If this will help reduce strain, then I am for it. But if it is another nice thing to have yet the impact is minimal then I might pass on the feature.

I remember as a boy, my dad nearly crying from happiness, because the relief to his shoulder, when he got his first car with power steering. I don't expect the exact same thing, but some relief would be nice.
I added it to my King Ranch build. I like the idea of making it easier to navigate parking lots and more responsive when backing up trailers.

Sponsored

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
It was removed from the 701A pkg in April and its now a $1000 option with that pkg I added to my build in July.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
It was removed from the 701A pkg in April and its now a $1000 option with that pkg I added to my build in July.
I thought I have it. But, to be honest, I couldn't tell you if it really helps. Nothing to steering vehicles any more. Equal to the Ram I had or the 2016 F150. All that I notice you need a half acre to do a u-turn....

bgator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum
Does anybody else have thoughts on whether the adaptive steering is worthwhile? I have an order for a 701A that I'm rolling over to MY22 and am debating whether to add this option.

I have no issues with the steering on my 2016 XLT but don't have a basis for comparison to know if this is going to make a noticeable difference for the better.

TN Rotty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Crew Cab Plat 6.5'
I've ordered Adaptive Steering for my 22 Platinum 701A. I haven't driven one to compare, but I watched the Ford video on it from a few years back. It's logical that it would be less taxing on an injured shoulder at low speed. (Less turns of the wheel, even if the wheel has power assist, means less work on the shoulder muscles).

Sponsored

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Platinum
Does anybody else have thoughts on whether the adaptive steering is worthwhile? I have an order for a 701A that I'm rolling over to MY22 and am debating whether to add this option.

I have no issues with the steering on my 2016 XLT but don't have a basis for comparison to know if this is going to make a noticeable difference for the better.
There is a rumor that there are no Platinum steering wheels without adaptive steering right now. If you don't choose adaptive steering, the wait will be longer. At the same time: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/flip-from-2021-to-2022-f150-platinum.6236/#post-107825

Antimatter_KingRanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 3.5PB FX4 Loaded
Occupation
Program Manager
There is a rumor that there are no Platinum steering wheels without adaptive steering right now. If you don't choose adaptive steering, the wait will be longer. At the same time: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/flip-from-2021-to-2022-f150-platinum.6236/#post-107825
Likely more than just a rumor. Some of the last scheduling notes for the MY21 trucks showed no King Ranch's or Platinum's without adaptive steering would be built. And from what I've seen on dealer websites that have trucks in transit built recently, they all have the adaptive steering option (KR & Plat's)

The recent commodity concerns with it have been on the super duty lines, but who knows if the issues will make their way to the F-150 for MY22 builds.... Everything is like flipping a coin at this point, there isn't a good way to know what will be happening next week.
Sponsored