First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
This morning (8:14 or so heading to the doc, i took the 2 lane farm road as its faster and no construction.
its a winding, rolling small hill road with fresh markings and new high traction asphalt coating. Lots of trees to shade the road etc.
i also have my foot closer to brake pedal, because there is a good bit of deer crossing the road, most seem to know to look both ways before darting out .

anyway i had sport mode engaged, lane centering and cruise set at 60, its a fun drive as truck really takes the winding corners well , as i rounded a corner and road drops away down a wide left hand turn , about the same time i see a small deer (maybe 3 feet tall) come out of the woods approaching the road the truck does the SLOW down now thing just as i am applying brakes. the truck was aimed at the side due to the nature of the curve
so does the adaptive cruise pick up wildlife or was that just a fluke and good timing on truck and deer
Sponsored

TJE

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150 xlt
This morning (8:14 or so heading to the doc, i took the 2 lane farm road as its faster and no construction.
its a winding, rolling small hill road with fresh markings and new high traction asphalt coating. Lots of trees to shade the road etc.
i also have my foot closer to brake pedal, because there is a good bit of deer crossing the road, most seem to know to look both ways before darting out .

anyway i had sport mode engaged, lane centering and cruise set at 60, its a fun drive as truck really takes the winding corners well , as i rounded a corner and road drops away down a wide left hand turn , about the same time i see a small deer (maybe 3 feet tall) come out of the woods approaching the road the truck does the SLOW down now thing just as i am applying brakes. the truck was aimed at the side due to the nature of the curve
so does the adaptive cruise pick up wildlife or was that just a fluke and good timing on truck and deer
I'm curious to know this too. Lots of deer north of my area

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Do you remember, did your truck just slow down some (like approaching a car in front of you) or did it go into pre-collision assistance, which would involve warnings, and then applying actual brakes, if needed. Part of pre-collision assistance is Pedestrian Detection. But that only works up to 50mph.

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
i have video
how do i load a ten second video splice.?

but on my video the truck nose dives for about 2 seconds as critter passes right in front of truck then goes back to speed

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Doubt it’s a published feature, but I could see animals being seen as a vehicle by the camera and radar. You were around a curve though too, it sounds like. The adaptive cruise Will apply brakes as well if it feels like you’re cornering too fast

Sponsored

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation

had to upload a small bit on you tube
you can see truck DIP as it slows
the video was recording in KMH vice mph?? thats another story but it dropped from 96 kmh to 86 kmh

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
i was steady state cruise, i drive this route once a week, 60 is perfect , not to fast for road.
no lights or collison stuff, jsut a noticable decelleration and nose dive for a second then it resumed speed. i am not sure if my foot or the truck is the one that slowed the truck. i was ready as there is alot of critters that cross on this road, but my foot is not that fast

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
In general, no.

Ford F-150 adaptive cruise and WILDLIFE 74A2C92D-AB59-443E-B386-1BDC33B94176
Ford F-150 adaptive cruise and WILDLIFE 9E60E343-D29B-46BF-A790-76022E1A5E2B

Neither Adaptive Cruise or Pre Collision Assist are designed to detect animals.

That doesn't mean that it couldn't have seen the deer and "thought" it was something else and hit the brakes. It does mean that you shouldn't expect it to behave the same for the next deer.

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation

uploaded a better video
you can see truck nose dive slightly then resume. part of that could be my foot, but i am not that fast at times, maybe a combination ?? either way it was differnt

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation

this link should work better

Sponsored

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Haven’t had it kick in for a deer (yet) as I haven’t really had any close encounters so far this year. However, just the other day I was going 40 when a person on a bicycle was on a cross street coming right towards me before they turned on the sidewalk and my truck sounded the pre collision assist and slowed on its own then after the guy turned into the sidewalk it returned me back to speed
it was weird, but like i stated it could have been a joint venture between me and the truck.
i did touch the brake, but not IMO nearly soon enough and it was not abrupt, it was very smooth slow then speed up

thats why i was wondering if the truck took the lead or if it was in concert

Jerome10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I've got adaptive cruise as well. There is also the pre-collision system right.

Does our system have pedestrian detection? If so, perhaps a 3 foot tall deer was simply interpreted as a pedestrian and the auto braking did its thing?

I'm suspecting it thought it was a pedestrian.

EDIT: Just looked it up for 2023 on Ford's website

PRE COLLISION ASSIST WITH AUTOMATIC EMERGENCY BRAKING

Hazards along the way can arise anywhere, at any time. This feature is designed to scan the road ahead and can alert you to a potential collision with a vehicle or pedestrian detected ahead of you. * If an impact becomes imminent and you don’t take corrective action, the brakes can apply automatically. But they’ll only activate if they’re needed.10

*Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection detects pedestrians, but not in all conditions, and can help avoid or reduce a collision. It does not replace safe driving. See Owner’s Manual for details and limitations.

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
it was weird, but like i stated it could have been a joint venture between me and the truck.
i did touch the brake, but not IMO nearly soon enough and it was not abrupt, it was very smooth slow then speed up

thats why i was wondering if the truck took the lead or if it was in concert
Robert, if you had pressed the brake pedal enough to turn the brake lights on, the adaptive cruise control would have disengaged, meaning no automatic increase in speed. 🤷‍♂️

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I had a doe wander in front of me one night, veered to avoid her as she turned and meandered back off the road, and never got a peep from ACC. I wouldn't trust it.
Sponsored