Sponsored

Active Air Dam Issues - No Recall Yet?

jmargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB
There are three screws on each end of the movable part of the air dam. I think 5hey are 11 mm but not sure. Just take them out and the air dam part comes off. I used a hair dryer and reshaped it and put it back on. Nothing to it. Ramps make it easier
I also added washers between the air dam and bracket to space it out a touch.
Sponsored

Pjeffries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I also added washers between the air dam and bracket to space it out a touch.
Couldn't hurt but I seemed to have room. My issue was caused by winter slush. Movable section will come off next winter for sure.

Ldkburra

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
There are three screws on each end of the movable part of the air dam. I think 5hey are 11 mm but not sure. Just take them out and the air dam part comes off. I used a hair dryer and reshaped it and put it back on. Nothing to it. Ramps make it easier
Oh ya that makes sense, I was wondering about where the washers were placed to add clearance between the stationary and movable parts of the dam, but just noticed that it was actually jmargo that used the washers. Thank you for the info though!

jmargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB
Yes, I added washers to space it back a smidge. I am in Northern CA so no snow or slush to jam it up.

Ldkburra

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Yes, I added washers to space it back a smidge. I am in Northern CA so no snow or slush to jam it up.
I haven't had a chance to climb under there yet, but wondering if it will be pretty obvious as to where the spacers can be added to give that extra space. Is it just under the screws that mount the moving portion of the dam to the truck?

Sponsored

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
Take it off. Problem solved.

First thing i am doing when my truck shows up. I have a plow goin on, so has to be removed, but even if no plow, would be coming off.
Did you happen to get the snow plow prep? Another member on here, his truck doesn't have the air dam and the only thing I can figure is maybe the snow plow prep got it removed. Only other explanation is they forgot it at the factory which I wouldn't rule out.

jeffrt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 5.0L
Had my truck in a month or so ago for the insulation recall, and they replaced my air dam. Seems to be working ok still. New version has a taller lip on top to prevent catching. So far so good! They said my original one was warped.

Mine keeps getting caught too. Don't want to go to the dealer unless I know there's a real fix for this. Come spring, I'll take a look to see if I can fix it myself if nothing reliable comes from Ford.

Air Dam.jpg

sdarcy13

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
The combination of heating and bending the air dam along with the washers have fixed it so far for me. Not sure if the washers helped but I am leaving them in for now.
Where are you putting the washers exactly?

sdarcy13

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
The combination of heating and bending the air dam along with the washers have fixed it so far for me. Not sure if the washers helped but I am leaving them in for now.
Where are you putting the washers exactly?

Sponsored

sdarcy13

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Thanks for taking the time to reply and adding pictures, I appreciate that. I’ll put the washers on tomorrow and cross my fingers.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
I know it's been a while since the thread started and there are several other threads. For those (like most of us) who haven't read through everything, there was a revision to the movable dam some time last year that added length (height) to the top so that it couldn't get caught below the fixed dam. If you push your dealer you should be able to get the new part under warranty. My truck was built after the change and doesn't have the issue.

I wouldn't hold out for a recall...it isn’t a safety or emissions issue and many probably don't even notice it. But it is clearly a known issue.

dwade62

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 5.0 Supercrew, 302A High, Carbonized gray
If the dam gets caught, does the motor make a noise that is easily heard?
We're heading home on our vacation. Past couple of days, sometimes, when I start to accelarate , or just slowly driving and accelerating I can hear a vibrating/rattling sound. Couple times it got fairly loud.
When looking underneath I found a small section of the dam was pushed inside. I fixed it, but later down the road would hear the sound again.
Just trying to narrow it down.

Last edited: