Active Air Dam Issues - No Recall Yet?

ohioboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Mine looks like the second or “updated” version. It will still get stuck. Ford could have made the center portion over inch taller, I checked for myself.
My active air dam initially became stuck down in down position due to accumulated ice at the front of truck due to wintertime operation. It remained deployed down and apparently contacted snow/ice/slush pulling into a drive or parking area somewhere which rendered it stuck, and it remained stuck until I noticed it.

I explained this to dealer, ford customer service and their surrogate Drew on this forum - all to no avail. Reps didn’t even know what he hell an active air dam even is and simply deferred to dealer’s first asssessment - you hit “something”. Dealer agreed “something“ was likely snow at low speed which wouldn’t have been contacted if it weren’t stuck down to begin with. Round and round. Tired of the chicken-or-egg first shit with Ford Motor already regarding this crappy design on a brand new truck. Truck had 600 miles on it at first notice.

The second version suggests Ford is well aware this thing is inadequately designed.
Sponsored

Caperjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Super Crew Sport 4x4 with 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Field Technician
Has anyone just disconnected the plugs to the motors? I went through the manual but could not determine if the active dam motors have their own fuse.

I've inspected my active air dam and there doesn't appear to be any damage or scrapes from hitting anything. I'm curious has anyone found out exactly what modes the active dam does and doesn't deploy?? What about when in 4WD mode? You would think Ford would make a software update allowing the air dam to be configured to deploy at a user configurable speed.

mugwa

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 1999 F150, 1979 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer (Retired)
Mine have been disconnected for about 3 months fill affects. Took my 2 week old truck into the dealer with the air dam stuck down, they repositioned and disconnected it and order new parts. Parts arrived 2 weeks later and were installed during service techs test drive air dam stuck down again. Remains unresolved and disconnected.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Hi there! Can you send us a private message with your VIN and Ford dealership name, along with some more details about your situation? I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!
Don’t waste your time with this clown. I had a problem a few months back and I replied to him/her with the information they wanted and never heard back. I don’t even think this is an actual person, probably just some bot. F*ckin wasting peoples time.

The only fix is to get under there and take it off. It was a total of six screws and the sooner you do it the better.

I kept fixing mine and it would just go back to being messed up and the amount of time it spent being messed up damaged the bottom edge of the front piece so I ended up having to trim that piece off also.

i’m not sure what the negative drawbacks would be of removing that piece but whatever they are it’s worth it to not have to look at that eyesore anymore.

I took it off four or five months ago and haven’t had any issues or lights come up

Last edited:

Spindrive

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Don’t waste your time with this clown. I had a problem a few months back and I replied to him/her with the information they wanted and never heard back. I don’t even think this is an actual person, probably just some bot. F*ckin wasting peoples time.

The only fix is to get under there and take it off. It was a total of six screws and the sooner you do it the better.

I kept fixing mine and it would just go back to being messed up and the amount of time it spent being messed up damaged the bottom edge of the front piece so I ended up having to trim that piece off also.

i’m not sure what the negative drawbacks would be of removing that piece but whatever they are it’s worth it to not have to look at that eyesore anymore.

I took it off four or five months ago and haven’t had any issues or lights come up
Any negative MPG?

Sponsored

Pjeffries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Had my air dam replaced last fall. Just noticed it is catching again but not as bad. Different dealer than the one who replaced it, but they are not willing to fix it. He claims that I must have hit snow bank. Didn't and couldn't with dam retracted. Ford needs to address this because they are showing up on F250 now also.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Had my air dam replaced last fall. Just noticed it is catching again but not as bad. Different dealer than the one who replaced it, but they are not willing to fix it. He claims that I must have hit snow bank. Didn't and couldn't with dam retracted. Ford needs to address this because they are showing up on F250 now also.
Hi there! Can you send us a message with your VIN and Ford dealership name? I’ll look into this on my end. Thanks!

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Take it off. Problem solved.

First thing i am doing when my truck shows up. I have a plow goin on, so has to be removed, but even if no plow, would be coming off.

Sponsored

jmargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB
Happened to notice mine was also jammed down while picking up the truck from the dealer today. Service advisor said he never saw that before and didn't know it moved so I just unjammed it in their lot. By the time I got home it was jammed again. Took it off and noticed how sloppy those actuator are. It's definitely a design flaw and hopefully they can remedy it. I'll probably have them replace it when it goes back for the wiper recall. For now I just heated up the plastic a bit to get it back in shape and tried a couple washers to space it out a touch.

Pjeffries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Took the movable part of the air dam off (6 screws), straightened it with a hair dryer. Working good as new. Definitely will be taking it off before the snow flies next winter. Nothing that flimsy can stand up to our winter slush. Too bad Ford can't allow it to be turned it on and off.

jmargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB
The combination of heating and bending the air dam along with the washers have fixed it so far for me. Not sure if the washers helped but I am leaving them in for now.

Ldkburra

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
The combination of heating and bending the air dam along with the washers have fixed it so far for me. Not sure if the washers helped but I am leaving them in for now.
Any chance you could do a tutorial on how to do this? I have been dealing with my dealer since I got my f150 in feb of 21 and am making no progress. I really do not want to remove it. With gas at nearly $5.00/gal I'll take all of the savings I can get.

Pjeffries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Any chance you could do a tutorial on how to do this? I have been dealing with my dealer since I got my f150 in feb of 21 and am making no progress. I really do not want to remove it. With gas at nearly $5.00/gal I'll take all of the savings I can get.
There are three screws on each end of the movable part of the air dam. I think 5hey are 11 mm but not sure. Just take them out and the air dam part comes off. I used a hair dryer and reshaped it and put it back on. Nothing to it. Ramps make it easier
Sponsored