Active Air Dam Issue

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I’ve straightened mine several times since I noticed this problem, and it seems to get stuck daily now. It also feels loose on each side.
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Perhaps there is a lower limit switch in ForScan that will reduce the downward travel.
I would venture to guess that air pressure on the ends are bowing the center outward and beyond the upper piece

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Since a number of different people are reporting (and the pics look similar), my guess is something to do with the tie-downs during rail or truck transport, or the ramps to get vehicles into place on the rail or truck transport marginally violate the approach angle max, on some of the transport carriers.

Tecdiver

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Corporate shill
So is there a permanent fix for this? Or will it get stuck every time it raises and tries to lower again?
[/QUOTE]
Taking delivery of my PB next week, but looking at the pics - is it something you could hit with a torch (gently) to make the plastic a little pliable, then pull it out until it cools and sets in place? I know it's a little bit of jimriggery, but I've a little of that in my blood.

Sponsored

OP
OP

dre276

First Name
andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150XLT, 2021 F150 XLT 302A Lead Foot
I've tried bending it back but no good. I have this issue happening on a daily basis and i hate taking it to the dealer since they all suck...at this point I just want to rip the damn thing off.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
It’s possible that some time with a heat gun could allow them to pop back, some plastics do have a memory.

I wouldn’t use a torch, it’s likely too hot and so many parts on new vehicles are plastic, even if you hold it far away from what you’re looking to heat up, you might accidentally torch something else.

There needs to be some warning labels for the transport drivers to not be tying them down where it could damage the active air dam.

If there’s enough problems with these, it’s just possible that Ford would try and weasel out of warranty repairs and start calling it a ‘wear item’ even Honda pulled this shit when they used bad glue for the 5th gen. Civic’s sun visors. Absolute nonsense!

F150 4X4

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Mine is doing the same thing, pull it out and the next day it's the same. Taking it in on the 17th.

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Anyone had luck with a fix for this? Service advisor acted like they just pop them in place, but I assured him that doesn’t fix the problem. Also FWIW, I talked to an auto transport friend of mine, and it’s not chain damage, seems to be a bad design.

Sponsored

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
Would be interested to see if any correlation to build dates for trucks. While mine is still very new, it came off the line May 3rd and so far, knock on plastic air dam, it doesn't look out of form. Ford fixes stuff all the time, whether it's ensuring new software is rolled out, or maybe adjusting the torque specs on a part that is failing prematurely. Would be interesting to see if vehicles before a certain build period have this problem.

F150 4X4

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Mine goes in Monday for this, will see what they have to say.

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 King Ranch 4x4 Ecoboost 3.5L
Add me to the list. I discovered this today. When I learned the truck had this I thought no way will that survive all the road kill in the Texas roadways. I currently have a small 1 x 2 wedged in there trying to bend it back into place as it is parked. Bracket also seems lose so I’m not sure it will help.

If the dealer doesn’t fix it I’ll just remove it. No way it actually improves MPG enough to justify the cost to replace it. What a stupid design. It’s ashamed manufacturers get credit for improved MPG when they implement terrible solutions like this that won’t last 2000 miles.

frankie40

First Name
Frankie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 & 2014 F150
Add me to the list. I discovered this today. When I learned the truck had this I thought no way will that survive all the road kill in the Texas roadways. I currently have a small 1 x 2 wedged in there trying to bend it back into place as it is parked. Bracket also seems lose so I’m not sure it will help.

If the dealer doesn’t fix it I’ll just remove it. No way it actually improves MPG enough to justify the cost to replace it. What a stupid design. It’s ashamed manufacturers get credit for improved MPG when they implement terrible solutions like this that won’t last 2000 miles.
Your spot on. I already ran something over and mine is jacked. Removing it forsure.
Sponsored