First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for posting this interesting video. My first thought is, why get a truck with all that clearance and then have a deployable air dam that can get caught on suddenly appearing obstacles, falling snow from the folks in front, etc.? Sound dangerous to me....
I understand that this was added to help Ford meet its CAFE standards for fuel efficiency. You will recall that Ford has killed all of its sedans and compacts, so they have been under pressure to improve the fuel economy of these best-selling trucks.

I am curious to know if anyone can tell me if this feature can be turned-off, in the real world? (I am among the many who are still waiting and waiting.) Thank you!
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Although this is new for Ford, it's been used on Ram 1500's since 2019. Non-issue

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
Although this is new for Ford, it's been used on Ram 1500's since 2019. Non-issue
I don't call getting the deployable air dam getting ripped off straddling an otherwise harmless obstacle a non issue.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I don't call getting the deployable air dam getting ripped off straddling an otherwise harmless obstacle a non issue.
My point is there is no big uproar over on the Ram forums over air dams getting damaged/ripped off because of the air dams being deployed.

MnTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch Powerboost
My point is there is no big uproar over on the Ram forums over air dams getting damaged/ripped off because of the air dams being deployed.
Yup; I expect that the ground clearance with a deployed dam is still more than what I have on my 2013 Fusion which drives Minnesota winters with no damage.
It would be nice to have the measurement, my Truck is still in shipment.

Sponsored

eff150

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 3 series
Sooo has anyone figured out how to remove this thing yet so that we can add the front skid plate from the tremor? Or other aftermarket options?

Deleted member 1802

I'm thinking of a 2 -2 1/2 inch front leveling kit, that might reduce the fear of ripping it off.

horvatas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
I attempted to remove the air dam on my 2021 without knowing there was an active dam in addition to the visible one. The active air dam itself is relatively easy to remove - 3 nuts (7mm IIRC) on either side. I wasn't able to figure out an easy way to remove the parts that raise/lower it.

The static air dam presented more of a challenge. I was able to get off 2 nuts on either side plus a few plastic clips from the middle but there's even more keeping it on and I struggled to figure out the specifics. I've been meaning to find a similar diagram to the one earlier in the thread to see if that will shed any light.

I get why some people are fine with leaving it on, but I plan on taking mine on some pretty rough forest service roads and I don't see it lasting too long.

imgone10

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 FJ Cruiser, 15 TRD Pro 4Runner, 2021 Lariat.
Occupation
Construction / US Army 84-96
Ford F-150 Active Air Dam in action - deploying at 45 mph 724C9FD7-5727-4434-8354-8FA8EFE78D46

Okay this is a picture of the air dam down at About 55 miles an hour. There is still good ground clearance. I had my son mount a Go-Pro on his trailer hitch and I drove behind him.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Okay guys, I got a bit scientific with this how far does it go thing.

I have an XLT 4x4 5.0
Got a tape and measured the active dam.
5-1/2”.
So, it’s not gonna drop more than that.

Whatever clearance you have with the dam up—subtract 5-1/2” and there is your approximate clearance.

I get about 4” to 4-1/2”.

Gotta say, the fixed dam on my 79 Chev is a bit lower and I’ve never had an issue with a stray object in the road, and this truck is lowered to the point a front tire failure is gonna damage some pavement.

Sponsored

SFD9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, 2021 f-150 on order
Occupation
Self
Is there a p/n available for a lower active dam? Something that say, gets down to NASCAR levels above 70mph but won’t get ripped off by a parking curb? Asking for a friend.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Okay guys, I got a bit scientific with this how far does it go thing.

I have an XLT 4x4 5.0
Got a tape and measured the active dam.
5-1/2”.
So, it’s not gonna drop more than that.

Whatever clearance you have with the dam up—subtract 5-1/2” and there is your approximate clearance.

I get about 4” to 4-1/2”.

Gotta say, the fixed dam on my 79 Chev is a bit lower and I’ve never had an issue with a stray object in the road, and this truck is lowered to the point a front tire failure is gonna damage some pavement.
It sounds like you are assuming the full 5 1.2” of the active dam comes down. If there is a overlap, that will lower the amount exposed below the fixed one.

I suppose we could get real world numbers from a dyno run... ?

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Not really ASSUMING a 5-1/2” drop, but giving it that much as that is about as far as it will travel before creating an opening that could defeat the purpose.
May very well be closer to 4-1/2”.

At any rate, they are beneficial, particularly if tooling about in a square truck with a 454 and no overdrive. Every little bit helped that thing.
Lowering and adding the dam increased mileage about 2.5 at cruise.
12 to 14 is a pretty good jump.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Not really ASSUMING a 5-1/2” drop, but giving it that much as that is about as far as it will travel before creating an opening that could defeat the purpose.
May very well be closer to 4-1/2”.

At any rate, they are beneficial, particularly if tooling about in a square truck with a 454 and no overdrive. Every little bit helped that thing.
Lowering and adding the dam increased mileage about 2.5 at cruise.
12 to 14 is a pretty good jump.
I wasn’t meaning to jab, I just didn’t want you to think you would clear something and found out the hard way you didn’t...