Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.auxito.com
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Senior Manager Of The Official AUXITO Brand Website
If one day your truck's halogen needs to be upgraded to LED bulbs, where would you start? and why you want to start here.
Sponsored

lynskynbnd

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offcambercrawlers.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150, 1987 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Auto Tech
I will replace a burnt halogen bulb with another halogen bulb.
Are your led bulbs DOT compliant?

OP
OP
AUXITO Jackson

AUXITO Jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.auxito.com
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
In the USA, HID and LED bulbs are allowed for use as Fog Lights but not for Headlights, as they do not comply with DOT/FMVSS108 regulations and are not street legal. They can, however, be used for off-road purposes in Snowmobile and ATV headlights or for auxiliary or forward lighting in off-road racing. The legality of HID and LED bulbs for street use varies by country. Please note that this regulation applies to all brands of LED and HID bulbs and not just AUXITO bulbs. They are not allowed for use in halogen headlights on the streets in the USA, despite any marketing claims made by other brands. Additionally, HID and LED bulbs do not meet homologation ECE requirements.

Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I don't think so, since my truck came with LED lights, my 2011 Volvo had HID headlights, and my friends 2023 BMW motorcycle came with LED headlights. The law they quote may reference replacement bulbs only.

Facemelter

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Space White 3.5 S-crew. 89 Mustang Notch
I don't think so, since my truck came with LED lights, my 2011 Volvo had HID headlights, and my friends 2023 BMW motorcycle came with LED headlights. The law they quote may reference replacement bulbs only.
The ole Volvo Sylvania D2R/S bulb. I was selling those over the parts counter for like 230 dollars. Things were ridiculous. The driver for those headlights were stupid expensive.

lynskynbnd

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offcambercrawlers.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150, 1987 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Auto Tech
Sooo the LED headlights that came with my truck are illegal?
Aftermarket replacement led headlamps and other lamps are mostly not DOT compliant. OE and some aftermarket led lamp assemblies are DOT approved.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Sooo the LED headlights that came with my truck are illegal?

Provided OEM LED and HID headlights are no brighter than 3K lumens, no they are not illegal. Drop-in LED replacements in reflector housings are, but most law enforcement officers ignore them along with the 20 million lumen LED bars some put on and drive around EVERYWHERE with them on...

Every now and then Barney will come along and nail you for it but that's a risk you take if you choose to run LED replacements.

Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
The ole Volvo Sylvania D2R/S bulb. I was selling those over the parts counter for like 230 dollars. Things were ridiculous. The driver for those headlights were stupid expensive.
Wow, was that at a dealership, because at my Napa store I think I paid about $80 with my discount and probably twice that over the counter. In all my years I think I only sold one driver.

Facemelter

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Space White 3.5 S-crew. 89 Mustang Notch
Yeah it was the Volvo Dealer. I worked for them for 8 years moving parts over the counter. The driver was around 800 back then. Regular headlight bulbs (H11/7) were around 32 dollars a piece.

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
Yes, I would replace the non-LED with LED in every instance possible. I would start with Amazon, sponsors of this site, and auto parts stores’ website - Advance Auto Parts, etc. I buy locally when it makes sense for me.

OP
OP
AUXITO Jackson

AUXITO Jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.auxito.com
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
OP
OP
AUXITO Jackson

AUXITO Jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.auxito.com
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Yes, exactly, aftermarket LEDs and HIDs are DOT certified and legal. When you need to replace your halogen bulbs with LED bulbs you need to be aware of local traffic laws, some places are also able to allow the replacement to be LED.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.