• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

A fateful decision... Am I making the wrong call?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Does Ford not offer ESP (Ford extended warranty) for the GT350?

I got old and finally discovered that I could truly enjoy (have fun with a grin on my face) vehicles with an emphasis on handling VS power. Or put another way, Go-Karts with license plates are a blast, and you can enjoy them for more than 3 seconds without going to jail.

OH, and get this.... They are CHEAP!
So now I buy Platinum and King Ranch trucks instead of XLT. Lol

Just messing with ya. But I do have a new Platinum Powerboost and so I am now very patient waiting for a Lightning. This truck is crazy awesome and a sort of preview of Ford electrifying the F150. It's a much easier wait getting in this truck when I need a truck.

Otherwise I hop in one of the toys for the other kind of grins.

Ford F-150 Lightning A fateful decision... Am I making the wrong call? 20210711_180513
Sponsored

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Are those features worth giving up your GT? I think the answer to that question solves your issue.
No they aren't, and my original plan was to get the XLT. I just realized yesterday that the timing of coming off warranty on the GT350 and when I might get a Lightning are relatively close. I don't have the $40k+ it would take to fix a blown motor off warranty, which is my primary concern. The Lariat features are just a (small) bonus the comes from the extra money of getting rid of that risk.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Does Ford not offer ESP (Ford extended warranty) for the GT350?

I got old and finally discovered that I could truly enjoy (have fun with a grin on my face) vehicles with an emphasis on handling VS power. Or put another way, Go-Karts with license plates are a blast, and you can enjoy them for more than 3 seconds without going to jail.

OH, and get this.... They are CHEAP!
So now I buy Platinum and King Ranch trucks instead of XLT. Lol

Just messing with ya. But I do have a new Platinum Powerboost and so I am now very patient waiting for a Lightning. This truck is crazy awesome and a sort of preview of Ford electrifying the F150. It's a much easier wait getting in this truck when I need a truck.

Otherwise I hop in one of the toys for the other kind of grins.

20210711_180513.jpg
Just looked up the ESP, looks like it costs around $10k. Too much for me.

Getting a cheaper "fun" car in the future is definitely on the table. Maybe even a classic that needs some work.

brizilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SVT Raptor / BMW M2C
I'm in a similar situation.
Have a BMW M2C that I'm thinking about trading IF I can get a Lightning order.
3 car garage full with a kid thats going to start driving soon.
Hate to give up the fun car but practicality is taking over.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
I know nothing about the Voodoo motor or it's issues. That being said, the only car I truly regret selling was my 2011 GT500.

Regrets or no-regrets, that's your call

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just looked up the ESP, looks like it costs around $10k. Too much for me.

Getting a cheaper "fun" car in the future is definitely on the table. Maybe even a classic that needs some work.
Ouch! That's the highest quote I have ever seen for an ESP warranty. And since it apparently doesn't reflect the MSRP of the car, based on Ford vehicles that have MSRP similar to the GT350, I have to assume it's influenced by the cost of repairs.

Or put another way, an ESP extension of the highest coverage (premium) for a ~$100,000 F350 Platinum Dually would still be considerably le$$ than that quote.

Did you use Flood Ford or some one who specializes in discounting ESP for that quote?

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Ouch! That's the highest quote I have ever seen for an ESP warranty. And since it apparently doesn't reflect the MSRP of the car, based on Ford vehicles that have MSRP similar to the GT350, I have to assume it's influenced by the cost of repairs.

Or put another way, an ESP extension of the highest coverage (premium) for a ~$100,000 F350 Platinum Dually would still be considerably le$$ than that quote.

Did you use Flood Ford or some one who specializes in discounting ESP for that quote?
That was just a quick lookup on flood Ford, but I know they did triple the ESP cost for the GT350s a few years back due to repair costs.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That was just a quick lookup on flood Ford, but I know they did triple the ESP cost for the GT350s a few years back due to repair costs.
Again, ouch!

If it makes you feel any better, EVERY SINGLE PORSCHE driver you ever see driving by is driving a car with a $30,000 motor in it. ??

Yea, even the fella in a $20k 15 year old Base model Cayman or Boxster. Even the plainest Flat6 is expensive to rebuild or purchase in a crate.

Of course if you do pop a motor in a car that is worth less than a new motor, you probably just go get another car. It's just a value-equation if you remove the emotion.

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
If you want to have a mustang in your stable and don't mind stepping down to a GT I would buy a recent model - 18-21 before they add the extra smog sh*t for 22 that will reduce power by 10hp and probably make it harder to mod. The GT350 as you know is an awesome machine and rare driving exp for a Mustang - more of an M car with a Ford badge. Having said that I've seen GT350 motor carnage first hand and understand your concern. Just an option to consider if you want a higher spec F150, thinking your 350 will bring some serious money right now. The ten speeds in the GT's are pretty hard to beat.
Sponsored