9.75 Max Tow new type failure

lexionman575

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 platinum powerboost
I have an early build 21 powerboost platinum 4x4 with max tow. Right at 30k miles was driving along and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and every system that needed a speed signal had a fault or failure. Traced this back to a speed sensor on the right rear axle. I took out the failed sensor and noticed it had broken off. Upon further inspection the tone ring was damaged. Both rear axle shaft bolts are original and in place… pulled axle and found a piece of the inboard washer about 10% of the circumference had broken off. It appears the tone ring grabbed it and chewed itself up as well as the seal. I will get some pictures tonight- I had to get home from a remote location so I Tig’ed the washer back whole to get back to my shop. The failed washer is number one in this book out of the tech manual. Just curious if anyone else has seen this as opposed to the more common broken bolt.

Ford F-150 9.75 Max Tow new type failure 64CE4395-3B6D-4421-BCD2-1C15FCF0DED4
Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
Sorry to hear that you are having a max tow axle problem! I'm so glad that I didn't need max tow for my truck. I'm also sorry that Ford had to mess with a well proven design and introduce this flaming pile of pig excrement!