Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL/STX
Occupation
Engineer
2022 F150 XL

I've been trying to upgrade the 8" center screen to a 12" but I have been running into the same problem. The screen does not power on. I checked to make sure there is power coming from the APIM and I'm getting full 13+VDC. I have 2 different screens and they both do the same thing. I've ordered another connecting wire for the screen in case the one I have is bad.
I've tried 2 different APIM and have a third one on the way. I know I'm missing something in this install. I just can't figure it out. Does anyone know if the main connector to the APIM has to be changed for the 12" screen? If this has to be changed, is there a part number to order it?

I used FDRS and Forscan to check the APIM and they read them fine. FDRS says I need an update but that can't be completed without the screen instructions. Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored

OP
OP

jmorriz

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL/STX
Occupation
Engineer
I've been through the programming but can't find anything left that would affect the power on for the screen. I also sent Jessie a message to see if he has any suggestions.

Thanks

OP
OP

jmorriz

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL/STX
Occupation
Engineer
Update: figured out that you have to provide power to the second connector on the back of the screen. Found someone that had an adapter that provided the power and everything works now. On to the next project.

Ford F-150 8" to 12" Center stack screen upgrade Information Center Stack 12 inch screen

imrajsandhu

First Name
Imraj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 xlt
Hey, I am doing the same upgrade on my truck wondering if you had a part number or link to where I could get the adapter/harness thanks .!

Sponsored

OP
OP

jmorriz

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL/STX
Occupation
Engineer
Hey, I am doing the same upgrade on my truck wondering if you had a part number or link to where I could get the adapter/harness thanks .!
I got the adapter from a vendor on Ebay. I could see the adapter in the picture of their full kit. Be careful to make sure the adapter is a full passthrough with the added power connector for the second connector on the back of the screen. If it's not a full passthrough, you may lose features such as backup camera or satellite radio.

imrajsandhu

First Name
Imraj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 xlt
Would this be the adapter? I am guessing you had to pm them to get just this

Ford F-150 8" to 12" Center stack screen upgrade Information 681A8FF5-8BA5-4307-940B-A7D5F61BE5F0

OP
OP

jmorriz

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL/STX
Occupation
Engineer
yes. I ended up removing the power connector and using it because it wasn't a true pass through and was missing pins for the camera and satellite radio. If you don't have satellite radio, the only thing to worry about then is the backup camera.

imrajsandhu

First Name
Imraj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 xlt
Sorry I don’t exactly understand what you mean. I do see my gps and backup camera isn’t working, how did you resolve this issue ?

OP
OP

jmorriz

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL/STX
Occupation
Engineer
The back of the 12" screen has 2 connectors where the 8" has 1. The second connector on the 12" screen is for power. I removed the connector from the adapter and found a power source under the dash to provide full power when the key is on. The screen works perfect with all the features.

When I stated a true pass through adapter, this means the 2 connectors are exactly the same pin for pin. For example, pin 1 on the female side is going to pin 1 on the male connector and so on. If pins are left out, which was the case for this adapter, it's not a true pass through adapter. The only thing I used off that adapter was the plug with the 2 green wires. If your truck is an XLT, you may already have the connector in your dash. i know its not on the XL because the 12" screen is not an option on the XL.

Sponsored

imrajsandhu

First Name
Imraj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 xlt
Perfect I get what you mean ! I am going to return the connector and Save me $300 then!

ProperCrab

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Single Cab 4x4, 2022 Crew Cab 2WD
Occupation
Commercial Project Estimator
Ford F-150 8" to 12" Center stack screen upgrade Information Inkeds-l1600

I just did this swap, Anyone have the part number for this blank all black switch? I don't want the one with the silver trim as it wont match.
Ford F-150 8" to 12" Center stack screen upgrade Information IMG_0936

evoslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL RCSB 5.0
It's not a factory blank switch, it's a normal traction control button with a vinyl sticker overlayed.

The other option is to add hill descent control and then fill up the dash with real switches.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Supercrew 2022 F150 XL Single cab
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
2022 F150 XL

I've been trying to upgrade the 8" center screen to a 12" but I have been running into the same problem. The screen does not power on. I checked to make sure there is power coming from the APIM and I'm getting full 13+VDC. I have 2 different screens and they both do the same thing. I've ordered another connecting wire for the screen in case the one I have is bad.
I've tried 2 different APIM and have a third one on the way. I know I'm missing something in this install. I just can't figure it out. Does anyone know if the main connector to the APIM has to be changed for the 12" screen? If this has to be changed, is there a part number to order it?

I used FDRS and Forscan to check the APIM and they read them fine. FDRS says I need an update but that can't be completed without the screen instructions. Any help would be appreciated!
Finally got all of the parts for my XL upgrade to the 12 in. Do you have the changes in Forscan you had to make for the APIM?

OP
OP

jmorriz

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL/STX
Occupation
Engineer
I would actually start with a profile load using Forscan from an XLT with the 12" screen. Then change or remove the items that apply to the XL stuff like the backup camera. I've attached the profile that is working very well on my XL.
Sponsored

Attachments