First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer, 2021 F150 Plat
Occupation
Retired - IBEW Electrician
Hey guys, when you say show up, did it not even update on the Ford tracker? I’m potentially going to pull the trigger on a dealer order vs my retail one. Ford tracker and Ford performance chat say it’s in production with the 10/31 eta, but the dealer texted me yesterday saying it has an eta in a few weeks now. Do they sometimes just show up unexpected?
My ETA was 9/28 - 10/4. Salesman called me 9/14 in the morning reporting my truck was on transport from railyard - it was in dealers lot late afternoon. I'll pick it up tonight or tomorrow after bed liner is done.
Sponsored

someday

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Antimatter Blue PB XLT High
My ETA was 9/28 - 10/4. Salesman called me 9/14 in the morning reporting my truck was on transport from railyard - it was in dealers lot late afternoon. I'll pick it up tonight or tomorrow after bed liner is done.
Congratulations on the new truck and good luck with it! Pretty sweet build.

<rant>
On Ford's part though, it's so aggravating that 8/30 build week trucks are flying through the pipeline once in production and 8/2 week production (and probably other weeks as well) are sitting in a field somewhere waiting for chips. I'm sure there are some logistical nightmares created by the partial builds and missing chips, but man...
</rant>

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Congratulations on the new truck and good luck with it! Pretty sweet build.

<rant>
On Ford's part though, it's so aggravating that 8/30 build week trucks are flying through the pipeline once in production and 8/2 week production (and probably other weeks as well) are sitting in a field somewhere waiting for chips. I'm sure there are some logistical nightmares created by the partial builds and missing chips, but man...
</rant>
It is disappointing. This also happened before to the April/May chip hold group. From a business and production rate standpoint, it kinda makes sense why they are doing it. Hypothetically, the rate at which vehicles come off the production line is faster (1 truck every ~60 seconds) than walking through fields and manually installing components. Their output rate is higher applying components to the production line than manual field installation. They are in a pinch to get as close to their bottom line as possible.

OP
OP
Littlefield82

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer
It is disappointing. This also happened before to the April/May chip hold group. From a business and production rate standpoint, it kinda makes sense why they are doing it. Hypothetically, the rate at which vehicles come off the production line is faster (1 truck every ~60 seconds) than walking through fields and manually installing components. Their output rate is higher applying components to the production line than manual field installation. They are in a pinch to get as close to their bottom line as possible.
So I have to wonder if trucks on chip hold only get chips added when the plant has enough chips to feed the production line and send people out to install them in the parked trucks? I agree that what's happening gets trucks out the door faster for Ford but it screws everyone else who's truck was 95% complete for a month or more.

someday

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Makes some sense, but they supposedly have two idle shifts in Dearborn. If the parts are now available, why wouldn't they bring one back to do the rework?

Sponsored

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Makes some sense, but they supposedly have two idle shifts in Dearborn. If the parts are now available, why wouldn't they bring one back to do the rework?
Again, I am just speculating. Given a limited amount of chip supply, from a profit perspective, it is more cost effective for Ford to use that supply in their more-efficient production process (trucks going down the production line). I would venture to guess Ford applies most of their chip supply to the production line, and a smaller subset is slowly making it into the backlog of trucks in their fields.

I'm imagining, somewhere in Ford corporate meeting rooms or Zoom, powerpoints showing graphs of the optimal number of shifts given the current supply chain assets. There's probably a calculated line of best fit for shifts/supply/scheduling/other. As consumers, it's clear that is 1 shift in Dearborn. What we don't know is where and how much of the supply is being applied across production. :)

I'm sure there are so many other complicated factors that go into their scheduling process. Ex. union rules/contracts, production costs, dates future supply is due, etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:

Cbaka27

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
Occupation
Sales
Again, I am just speculating. Given a limited amount of chip supply, from a cost perspective, it is more cost effective for Ford to use that supply in their more-efficient production process (trucks going down the production line). I would venture to guess Ford applies most of their chip supply to the production line, and a smaller subset is slowly making it into the backlog of trucks in their fields.

I'm imagining somewhere in Ford corporate meeting rooms or Zoom, powerpoints showing graphs of the optimal number of shifts given the current supply chain assets. There's probably a calculated line of best fit. As consumers, it's clear that is 1 shift in Dearborn. What we don't know is where and how much of the supply is being applied across production. :)
Is Dearborn back to full production or are they still on reduced shifts?

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Is Dearborn back to full production or are they still on reduced shifts?
I *think* they are at 33%. I wasn't able to determine that from the memo that came out last week. Couldn't tell if it was only the KC layoff continuing or if they were also continuing the reduced shift in Dearborn. Anyone know for sure?

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Just heard back from my dealer today. VVR still shows chip hold for me.

Josh35

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Hybrid SuperCrew 6.5box
I am still on chip hold according to the dealer.
Tracker still shows ETA end date 9/14.

1FTFW1ED6MFC13693
R050

Sponsored

johnbisme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac, 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Senior Game Combat Designer
The 8/2 Limbo List
Bangheadhere
catfishkid1986
Cbaka27
CK.Mecha
Dresdie
emersonloyd
GripworksCo
Hebed118
Jloyd98
Johnbisme
Josh35 (Added)
Littlefield82
Motosapien
someday
SpikerS
SQLariatPB

(Getting Their Truck!: DuckDuckGreyDuck 8/26)
(Got a different truck: Victimofareload 8/27, Chief Bast 9/2, JosephSchott 9/3)

someday

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Again, I am just speculating. Given a limited amount of chip supply, from a cost perspective, it is more cost effective for Ford to use that supply in their more-efficient production process (trucks going down the production line). I would venture to guess Ford applies most of their chip supply to the production line, and a smaller subset is slowly making it into the backlog of trucks in their fields.

I'm imagining somewhere in Ford corporate meeting rooms or Zoom, powerpoints showing graphs of the optimal number of shifts given the current supply chain assets. There's probably a calculated line of best fit. As consumers, it's clear that is 1 shift in Dearborn. What we don't know is where and how much of the supply is being applied across production. :)

I'm sure there are so many other complicated factors that go into their scheduling process. Ex. union rules/contracts, production costs, dates future supply is due, etc. etc. etc.
I am but a simple software engineer. We manufacture in a different way :) . But yeah, I'm sure it's a logistical goat rope.

Crockett040

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Sport
Occupation
Self Employed
Mine finally updated yesterday.

8/2 Build date, nothing till 9/10 built, says eta 9/30

PB Lariat with the 7.2 gen

Ordered On 5/22/2021
Order Number 3804
VIN 1FTFW1ED6MFC30879
Estimated Dealer Delivery 9/30/2021

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Mine finally updated yesterday.

8/2 Build date, nothing till 9/10 built, says eta 9/30

PB Lariat with the 7.2 gen

Ordered On 5/22/2021
Order Number 3804
VIN 1FTFW1ED6MFC30879
Estimated Dealer Delivery 9/30/2021
Fantastic. Do you know if your VVR said it was on chip hold prior to last week?

Last edited:

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Crocket, that is a NICE lariat build. Talk about loaded. ;)
Sponsored