First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired from IBM
Thanks Jason, I had taken a break from trying to figure it out. I plan to get back at it tomorrow. What keeps throwing me is the symptoms keep changing. I think i will start by disconnecting the water heater wiring completely and go from there.
Jason you called it, the heating element in the hot water tank was open. Just replaced it and everything works fine. Thanks a bunch
Sponsored

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Looking for insight into an issue that I discovered today. I have PB with 7.2 pro power generator. Have not officially used since I purchased vehicle in July. Have plugged in a light and my garage vacuum to make sure it works. It does.
Today early prep for trip to my Alma Mater next Saturday and a little tailgating. Tried plugging in my electric grill. Immediately "ground fault error" pops up. I removed plug and it goes away. It is a 3 prong plug and works in house plug. Any thoughts, knowledge or sources?

OP
OP
Lonewolf

Lonewolf

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired from IBM
Looking for insight into an issue that I discovered today. I have PB with 7.2 pro power generator. Have not officially used since I purchased vehicle in July. Have plugged in a light and my garage vacuum to make sure it works. It does.
Today early prep for trip to my Alma Mater next Saturday and a little tailgating. Tried plugging in my electric grill. Immediately "ground fault error" pops up. I removed plug and it goes away. It is a 3 prong plug and works in house plug. Any thoughts, knowledge or sources?
Check to make sure the ground on the grill is good. The ground fault on the ford is very unforgiving. When you plugged it into the house was that into a gfi outlet?

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Check to make sure the ground on the grill is good. The ground fault on the ford is very unforgiving. When you plugged it into the house was that into a gfi outlet?
Yes, when I plugged into house it was to an outlet that has a GFI it its leg. It eventually did kick the GFI. I attributed that to an overload as it was on same line as a small beverage refrigerator.

The ground on the electric grill is just a center prong that is part of the control and makes contact with the metal grill. The control is a twist knob that probably has a cheap rheostat (may not be correct word) that regulates temperature. That in itself may trigger the ground fault. I may have to use a different type of electric griller for this endeavor.
I did order a knew George Foreman electric grill and it should arrive today. If after testing it using the propower I will know if this type of grill can be used. I do have a large air fryer that could use and that may be my only option.
I do not have enough electrical knowledge to figure out a solution to this issue.

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
It eventually did kick the GFI. I attributed that to an overload as it was on same line as a small beverage refrigerator.
A GFI will not trip on overload, that's what the breaker is for. The GFI is for an unbalanced load between neutral and hot.

The heating element is probably going out

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
A GFI will not trip on overload, that's what the breaker is for. The GFI is for an unbalanced load between neutral and hot.

The heating element is probably going out
Received new grill today and it works fine. Believe the old one is ready for the scrap heap.
Sponsored